Registry: 1964 Triumph Spitfire
Laura Lippay's 1964 Triumph Spitfire – “Stacey's Mom”
to vote for this car or add your vehicles
Every single receipt, and manuals for all of it's manual-requiring parts, from the beginning of the build until present are here, including all electrical manuals, extra electrical parts, and the Spitfire Mk. 1, 2 & 3 Workshop Manual and the Rover 2300, 2600, 3500 Operation Manual.
Here's the info from when I purchased it on 9/18/13:
- Purchase price: $14,000
- Miles on engine: 7,200
- Engine: 3.5 Aluminum V8 from a 1980 Rover SDI, rebuilt by Dave's Machine Shop in Newark. - Extensive headwork performed. New Isky cam, Holley 4 barrel carb, Offenhauser intake manifold, Kirk racing headers, Mallory distributor & engine control. Recorded radiator w/ dual electric fans.
- Body: Tub: 1964 Spitfire, Hood: 1969 GT6, All metal stripped bare, primed and painted British Racing Green
- Transmission: 5spd from 1980 Rover SDI
- Frame & front suspension: 1969 GT6 with Spax adjustable shocks
- Rear differential and shafts: 2nd gen RX-7
- GT6 A arms were machined to accept the larger Mazda bearings and half shafts rebuilt
- GT6 rear spring
- Stock GT6 wheels were stripped, powder-coated, painted original color and rear wheels were widened by 1" to accept wider tires.
Here's what I (er, mostly the mechanics) have done to it since I've had it, mostly to get it running cooler and as reliably as we could:
- Oct 2013: New heater control valve
- July 2014: Repair ignition, replaced plug & wires set, reset carb, replaced fuel line & reinsulate, replaced air cleaner
- Aug 2014: Repaired steering & dash gauge, drain & flush coolant system, replace thermostat, relocate gauge sensor in upper radiator hose, repair cooling fans.
- Oct 2014: Replaced broken turn signal, replaced mirrors, new shift knob
- Aug 2016: New carpeting, new top (though mechanic did a shit job of aligning the snaps), hood repair from small dent in hood after wind blew it down too hard on top of the carb screw
- Sept 2016: New ashtray, new trunk matting, new Triumph floor mats, replace exhaust manifold & gasket due to leak, replace water pump bypass elbow
- Apr 2017: New battery
- May 2017: New rear tires
- July 2017: New fuel pump
Here's what needs attention:
- fuel gauge is off
- driver's side door rubs fender (new issue)
- on both doors, the door latch sticks
Pics show one of engine when I bought it (grated carb) and now (flat silver carb). More pics are here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B03t983arqIHYS1CTjQzUm5fWEU?usp=sharing
The original build cost $15,855.21. All paperwork and receipts for this are included. I also have the bumper that I removed from the front. The engine now has just over 12k miles. Would love to sell it back to the original builder (a General Motors employee) but the reason he said he was selling it was because "I'm too old. Moving to retirement home."
I'm selling it because I bought a '65 Mustang fastback (w/ a 351 Cleveland) recently, and so I'm one person with now FOUR vehicles and no garage. I'm not a mechanic, and even though I bought this car wanting to learn, it would be in better hands with someone who knew what all the parts are and where to begin when the typical british racing car things bubble up. As you can see from the work done since I've had her, it's been all about getting it running like a champ with the best chance of staying that way and the least chance of overheating. She's had some caring mechanics.
Stacey's Mom is a dream. With that big rumbling motor in that little car, she's been my favorite car ever (and I've had two 911s). But I have too many cars and it's time for her to go to someone who will continue to take care of her and knows what to do with her.
|Owner:||Laura Lippay [lauralippay]|
|Location:||Felton, CA, USA|
|Original Colour:||British Racing Green|
|Current Colour:||British Racing Green|
|Engine Type:||3.5L Rover V8|
|Last Updated:||2017-10-16 22:49:15|
Leave a Comment
This vehicle's information was last updated on 2017-10-16 22:49:15
- Changes from 2017-10-16 22:48:02 to previous 2017-09-05 23:12:06
- Mileage 12,200 → 12,500
- Changes from 2017-09-05 22:57:27 to previous 2014-08-01 15:17:32
- Mileage 8,000 → 12,200
- Trans Type 5spd → 5spd manual
|Laura Lippay||Added to Registry (ID 25811)|
If this vehicle has been sold and you are the new owner, sign up to become a member (or if you're already a member, make sure you are signed in) and ask the current owner to click the "Transfer Vehicle" button from this car's page. If you have any difficulty with the process, please contact the webmaster.