TRExp

Odds & Ends Forum

Has any members had experiences with after market Electronic ignitions, I am interested in information about Gammatronix Ignition, I have been running a Citroen 2 .CV for 51 years now, and the Sparkrite unit ignition has gone caput.. searching around I h

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Has any members had experiences with after market Electronic ignitions, I am interested in information about Gammatronix Ignition, I have been running a Citroen 2 .CV for 51 years now, and the Sparkrite unit ignition has gone caput.. searching around I have seen the Gamma model... which I am tempted to try... if any members fitted this application, I would be gracious to hear from them.. Barry Iddon posting.

My apologies contacting Triumph owners forum, before some members complain , I have Triumph Stag American Flashers side lights on my Vauxhall...pictured.. that I acquired when I worked at Triumphs in the 1960s era in Speke Liverpool we built them.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
MY VAUXHALL VIVA & FRIEND ..jpg    83.8 KB
MY VAUXHALL VIVA & FRIEND ..jpg

My old CV is catching me up in AGE 45 years old to.jpg    53.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
CITROEN ALL BACK TOGETHER. 1st.JPG    81 KB
Hi Barry, what an unusual pair of cars you have! Viva's must be few and far between these days?

Sorry, I have never heard of the Gammer ignition, and from a brief look at there site I have a problem trying to classify it
is it intended for magnito fired ignition?

This site is mainly US focused, the market leaders here appear to be Petronix and Crane. One is Hall effect triggered the other optical.

My thoughts are, most kits that I have seen tend to be made to adapt to as many applcations as possible with just an adaptation of hardware. It is often the cheap hardware that causes the problems or un-clear non specific instructions.

For reliability, consider this. Virtually all cars produced in the last 40 years have been fitted with EI. Here in North America a new model car must proove to meet emmisions standards for 100, 000 miles! This means the ignition system MUST work that long without failier. We no longer think of the ingnition when we start our daily driver late model car.

All (as far as I know) these ingnition systems are triggered by Hall effect sensors.

You look to be a Hands-on type of guy. You might consider adapting an original equipment EI from a more modern car to suit your classic application!

Below are a couple of pics of my EI fitted to my Spitfire, the first shows a Hall effect trigger fitted in place of the points and condensor, the secound shows the ignighter and coil. This set-up in it's entirety came from a 90's Toyota, there is just the 12v supply wire to the system, the rest is plug and play, as they say.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
20170705_180405.jpg    39.9 KB
20170705_180405.jpg

20170817_200637.jpg    29.1 KB
Hiya Tonyfixit..... Thanks for your response : I have explored many avenues of modification, thats always been my way with every thing I do in life, I survive on challenges, this project however, is baffling at the moment, I also have a 1975 Honda Civic... I modified the Dissy on that with a Boyer Bransden Electronic unit similar to the one you posted pics off.

Attaching pics of my Honda.. for your viewing, had this 42 years...

A couple of pic of my Citroen just fitted a new clutch.. after 24 years since last did it.

Attachments:
CITROEN POINTS BOX ON VEHICLE..JPG    36.1 KB
CITROEN POINTS BOX ON VEHICLE..JPG

I LIKE WHAT I SEE..JPG    53.4 KB
CITROEN ON FRONT. Sept.4th 2017. 1st.JPG    61.9 KB
CITROEN ENGINE REMOUNTED IN CAR..JPG    80.4 KB
THIS IS MY CLUTCH JOB IN PROGRESS...Tony.... but back on the road, with my present predicament, running rough on the points problem... It needs a new Spark of Life breathing into it, Watch this Space.. so long Bazza the " C.V. man of many talents... Ha...Harrrr

Attachments:
CITROEN POINT RENEWED. PICTURE.JPG    37.6 KB
CITROEN POINT RENEWED. PICTURE.JPG

ON MY DRIVE WORK IN PROGRESS. Sept 9th 2017..JPG    80 KB
New modified interior Dashboard on my 2 CV four wo.jpg    74.3 KB
CITROEN ENGINE REMOUNTED IN CAR..JPG    80.4 KB
Not knowing too much about Citro├źns, I would think you could just remove the points cam and turn it down round and fit a Reluctor from a suitable 4 cyl engine, but with two points (triggers) of the reluctor removed.

The pick up and igniter Would then be used from the donor or some other car

Or just fit some 4 cly ignition kit (there are cheap chinise kits on ebay) and have wasted spark.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-11-20 12:54 AM by Tonyfixit.

Attachments:
2cv_motorrevision_017g.jpg    53 KB
2cv_motorrevision_017g.jpg

s-l225.jpg    9 KB
Monday morning 8.a.m... Good morning Tony.... my spirits are on a High, reading your correspondence, its always easy buying new stuff when cars give trouble, but sorting out a problem is much more satisfying.. do you agree...

I will endeavour to trail along your paths of suggestion today... I always follow the saying, Necessity was the Mother of Invention.... Here is a Citroen Van I made earlier as a camper .. first by cutting a car body shell in half, then making a box frame rear on the saloon, .. from then on it was press on regardless, encouraged by my wife Susan & daughter Toni......

Attachments:
MAKING MY OWN CUSTOM BUILT VAN began by cutting a.jpg    39 KB
MAKING MY OWN CUSTOM BUILT VAN began by cutting a.jpg

My Rebuild Launch after 10 months work, but still.jpg    44.1 KB
This is my Sleeping Quarters, and meal Pitstops.jpg    39.4 KB
TONIS VISIT, 3rd FRAMED.jpg    61.4 KB
I have been using an Accuspark set on my Fiat 500 for 6 years, and have had no issues with it.

They also make a kit for the TR6 and most British vehicles.

http://accuspark.co.uk/car_search.html

Cute 2CV !

Good luck.

G

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster