Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

ham204 Avatar
ham204 Mario Psaila
Mosta, n/app, Malta   MLT
What is the best combination of tyre on a 5.5" wide 14 inch wheel without modifications to the body? I was thinking 165/60 - is that about right?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Andy-Sherry Avatar
Andy-Sherry Gold Member Andy Martin
Portland, OR, USA   USA
I have 185/60 fits and works great

Andy&Sherry
1974 Spit 1500 Carmine Red
1977 Spit 1500 Pink Panther Pink

Always learning something

Dickie B Avatar
Dickie B Dickie Brewer
Clover, SC, USA   USA
1973 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Rose"
1982 Chevrolet Corvette "Buddy"
1991 BMW 850i "Rocket"
2005 Nissan Frontier V6 "NIZMO"
The first pic is 205-60R14. I think they look too tall and wide.
So I took them back and ordered 185-60R14. I think they "fit" the car better.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG-20110809-00050.jpg    31 KB
IMG-20110809-00050.jpg

100_0941.JPG    39.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
ham204 Avatar
ham204 Mario Psaila
In reply to # 949698 by Andy-Sherry I have 185/60 fits and works great

Did you need to roll the fender for 185/60? Also, no rubbing on the front tyres?

Andy-Sherry Avatar
Portland, OR, USA   USA
No rolling or rubbing,slap em on and drive

Andy&Sherry

ham204 Avatar
ham204 Mario Psaila
In reply to # 949715 by Andy-Sherry No rolling or rubbing,slap em on and drive

Great! Yours look just about right . What is the overall diameter of the tyre then? (just want to make sure mine are the same...)

JOEVACS Avatar
JOEVACS Joe Carter
Hickory, NC, USA   USA
Mine rub the fire wall just a wee bit when turned all the way, and my driver side front needed a little bit of a roll inside because it rubbed a little at the top. It does depend on which tire you choose too. Tire carcasses are different from brand to brand and some have more roll at the corner than others. I more aggressive tire will sometimes have more of a square shoulder at the outer edge. That's where you would get some rubbing.

ham204 Avatar
ham204 Mario Psaila
In reply to # 949717 by JOEVACS Mine rub the fire wall just a wee bit when turned all the way, and my driver side front needed a little bit of a roll inside because it rubbed a little at the top. It does depend on which tire you choose too. Tire carcasses are different from brand to brand and some have more roll at the corner than others. I more aggressive tire will sometimes have more of a square shoulder at the outer edge. That's where you would get some rubbing.

Joe, what is your tyre size (I'm assuming you're on 14 inch wheels)?

Andy-Sherry Avatar
Portland, OR, USA   USA
O/D is 22 & 3/4"
The pic on my profile is when I had 15X6 wheels

Andy&Sherry

Attachments:
007.JPG    38.8 KB
007.JPG

JOEVACS Avatar
JOEVACS Joe Carter
Hickory, NC, USA   USA
In reply to # 949719 by ham204
In reply to # 949717 by JOEVACS Mine rub the fire wall just a wee bit when turned all the way, and my driver side front needed a little bit of a roll inside because it rubbed a little at the top. It does depend on which tire you choose too. Tire carcasses are different from brand to brand and some have more roll at the corner than others. I more aggressive tire will sometimes have more of a square shoulder at the outer edge. That's where you would get some rubbing.

Joe, what is your tyre size (I'm assuming you're on 14 inch wheels)?

185/60/14

Attachments:
8859901702_b29ca58c3b_c - Copy.jpg    44.2 KB
8859901702_b29ca58c3b_c - Copy.jpg

britsnspits Avatar
britsnspits Michael Stoliker
Bethlehem, PA, USA   USA
1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "The Phoenix"
1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Lucky"
Andy and Joe,

Lowered or non-lowered springs?

Andy-Sherry Avatar
Portland, OR, USA   USA
Not lowered on mine, Dickie B suggests I should lower the front

Andy&Sherry

JOEVACS Avatar
JOEVACS Joe Carter
Hickory, NC, USA   USA
I put 1 inch lowered springs in front

Dickie B Avatar
Dickie B Dickie Brewer
Clover, SC, USA   USA
1973 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Rose"
1982 Chevrolet Corvette "Buddy"
1991 BMW 850i "Rocket"
2005 Nissan Frontier V6 "NIZMO"
Mike,
Rose is lowered 1" in the front (high-rate, shorter spring) and 3/4" in the back (lowering lock between the spring and the diff).
Back tires did not rub, and neither did the fronts until I backed up a little quickly in a turn. The front tires cut down on the outside of the tread. It also bent the inner fender lip.
Friend told me about using a baseball bat or a pvc pipe to roll the inner lip. that did the trick, but did crack the paint at the corner of the fender some. Nothing major.
I would say that if you don't have a lowered car, you would be ok with the 185-60R14's.

Spitified Avatar
Spitified Scott Hutchinson
Owatonna, MN, USA   USA
In reply to # 949668 by ham204 What is the best combination of tyre on a 5.5" wide 14 inch wheel without modifications to the body? I was thinking 165/60 - is that about right?

You could go as wide as 175 I think with the right offset rim. Do you know if your offset is at least +22mm? Paul Geithner on his website runs a 185/55/14 set up on a 6" wide wheel with a +26 offset, and he has a lowered suspension and he has no problems. I would think 60 would be fine since you don't plan on lowering it.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster