AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

mike78spitfire Mike Jankowski
Austin, TX, USA   USA
1971 MG MGB
1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Rocketdog"
How exactly is it any better than the MkIV and 1500 rear suspension? It's the same thing honestly. As for earlier cars, put a Z bar on it and do some laps. His design oversprings the rear end. Again, the skipping everyone attributes to the rear end is actually bump steer, especially on lowered cars. Or alignment that is really off, and a 4 wheel alignment will cure most of it. Sorry, but a new rear spring, uprated shocks, and poly bushings will get you an incredible improvement in performance. I've driven my car and another 1500 with the Cancelli rear end. I had some mid grade ($50 each) all season radials on my car, the other one had better tires. I have stock front shocks, uprated 330lb/in springs, stock sway bar, poly bushings, and uprated shocks, stock rear spring, and poly bushings on the back. I have twin SUs, the other car had a Weber downdraft. On an autocross course I did one run in my car, then one in the other. My car was faster. On less sticky tires with a slightly uprated suspension. I just don't see any engineering data to support how his IRS works like claimed, nor have I experienced it firsthand. After several runs I was still substantially quicker in my car.

To give perspective, I hopped into a car I hadn't driven in 4 years that had tires I'd never run on, with a failing clutch, and set FTD at an autocross recently. So it wasn't a matter of me being used to my car over the other Spitfire.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
In reply to # 1337517 by mike78spitfire How exactly is it any better than the MkIV and 1500 rear suspension? It's the same thing honestly. As for earlier cars, put a Z bar on it and do some laps.
Mike,
It isn't an improvement. It reverts to the "fixed spring" setup of the early cars, but may have the long axles of the late cars. It isn't the same as the swing spring because the PRI setup has deflection of both springs in roll where the swing spring has deflection only of the fixed main leaf in roll. The other leaves don't contribute to roll stiffness. PRI's set-up would benefit from a Z-bar or camber compensator just as the MK1-3 do.
All the best,
Paul

Austin, TX, USA   USA
1971 MG MGB
Let me get this straight. The fixed spring setup of the early car, notorious for jacking, is an improvement over the later design how? The claimed spring deflection works how? Where are the numbers? The inboard arm mounts aren't super strong, the aluminum arms are light but I'd be checking them for fatigue cracks on the welds every month. I don't see how this setup can really help over a well sorted standard rear suspension. I work at one of the best aftermarket suspension companies in the world for more modern cars, and none of us can see anything of value with the PRI IRS setup. I currently on Spitfire #12 in 25 years, and this one has given me 83k miles of service in the last 5 1/2 years, including cross country trips as well as autocross wins, and when Cancelli was in Austin I dealt with him several times and saw his shop. Believe what you want , but unless you change rear end geometry, you're being sold a bill of goods.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
britsnspits Avatar
britsnspits Michael Stoliker
Bethlehem, PA, USA   USA
1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "The Phoenix"
1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Lucky"
Mike,

I think you're looking for an argument where there isn't any. If anything, Paul is agreeing with you that Cancelli's "improvement" isn't one and is a throwback to the ills of the old style suspension.

dyls1968 Avatar
dyls1968 Dylan Swift
Aberdeen, Danestone, UK   GBR
Good morning chaps, grumpicus, yes I've changed my tune, given him the benefit of the doubt, and yes I was waiting months for my suspension to be delivered with lots of excuses, yes I was pissed off and got involved in the negative chat going round about Moto cancelli ex PRI , so I got a refund, and I was refunded strait away as it was through PayPal,

Months later I tested the water again and he had one in stock so I bought it, life's too short for regrets, it's in now and I like it, granted I'm not racing, it's for my own pleasure. Chris has been very helpful to me and I find it's a very good product, as do a lot of my mechanic and engineering friends

I'm not going to get into an argument over this issue with anyone, maybe I should've kept quiet on the issue and just got on with my lot,

Anyway, happy motoring boys, hope you all had a merry xmas and have a happy new year

Dylan Swift

rampant racing Avatar
rampant racing gary fraser
sarnia, ont., Canada   CAN
1969 Triumph Spitfire "King Henry V 8TH"
Hi mike. I checked out the spl site. Very nice stuff indeed. Very pretty and lightweight products.

dyls1968 Avatar
dyls1968 Dylan Swift
Aberdeen, Danestone, UK   GBR
Just checked out the spl site aswell, looking pretty good alright,

grumpicus Steve Jackson
Leicester, Leicestershire, UK   GBR
In reply to # 1337578 by dyls1968 Good morning chaps, grumpicus, yes I've changed my tune, given him the benefit of the doubt, and yes I was waiting months for my suspension to be delivered with lots of excuses, yes I was pissed off and got involved in the negative chat going round about Moto cancelli ex PRI , so I got a refund, and I was refunded strait away as it was through PayPal,

Months later I tested the water again and he had one in stock so I bought it, life's too short for regrets, it's in now and I like it, granted I'm not racing, it's for my own pleasure. Chris has been very helpful to me and I find it's a very good product, as do a lot of my mechanic and engineering friends

I'm not going to get into an argument over this issue with anyone, maybe I should've kept quiet on the issue and just got on with my lot,

Anyway, happy motoring boys, hope you all had a merry xmas and have a happy new year

Dylan Swift

Well, that is a surprise! It's not very often that someone has a bad purchasing experience, refers to the organisation as 'conmen', finally getting a refund - and then takes a chance and places the order again........ I've no experience of PRI/Cancelli, so I have no view as to whether their rear suspension setup is good, bad or indifferent - I was more concerned that your apparent abrupt turnaround might have been an indicator that your account had been hacked by others.

grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
The suburbs of, Winfield, Maryland, USA   USA
Guys, guys, guys...Paul was being sarcastic.

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L
34/11 (Jasmine yellow/Black interior)

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

Goldrush Steve Gold
San antonio, TX, USA   USA
Let me add just a note here - I had Chris Cancelli build my Stage III SPITFIRE, and at the 2004 Triumphest the Rebel with a Cause completely destroyed everyone in the autocross, garnering a fastest in its class as well as the time of the day - beating all cars regardless of model line or year and/or motor swaps!!! Anyone who has any of PRIRACE OR MOTOCANCELLI parts installed on their vehicle can and will attest that they move the cars to the twenty first century, not only in terms of performance but in safety as well! Check out the articles about my car, the Rebel with a Cause, and you can read of the slaughtering my car gave the entire field at the ‘04 Triumphest!!!! Chris suffered a major heart attack, and Motocancelli faded to history - I have been in contact with him and will be working with him to figure how I can shell him at least revive the company to built a run of race axles, twin hoop roll bars, big brake kits, and IRS Kits - obviously it takes about twenty units of each to make a run, and without a significant outlay of cash, it would be next to impossible to make a run - that is why from the beginning, it has always been a delay in shipping - if there is a demand large enough, then the product run can be made!!! Check out Spitfire/GT6 magazine issue # 17 - and you can drool over the Rebel!!! She is down at the moment - installing custom leather interior, replacing the mild steel roll bar with a stainless steel replacement, the four point harnesses will be upgraded, and I will be adding the stage three IRS kit as will as the race axles!!! If you’ve got questions after you’ve read this thread, or any concerns regarding PRI products or Motocancelli products - ask those with negative comments as to how many of the have the products on their cars - I’d wager non of them do!!! I have the product and I have won the races and shows - I’d be happy to address any of your concerns!!! How anyone without hand on experience with the product could dis it is beyond me - reach me at+12108674653 - I’ll be happy to address any question or concern!!!

Goldrush Steve Gold
San antonio, TX, USA   USA
Please talk to people who have actual experience with the parts - how can you dislike or disrespect a product that you don’t own??? Sounds like bs to my, so I call bs and show my car with PRI upgrades as she took fastest car in her class and fastest car of the day against the TR7’s, 8’s, and all of the GT6’s, and older models - beat them all, including all of the Frankenstein’s, with small blocks and turbo rotary’s!!! If you’re wondering about the black box on the right side of the engine, it’s onle the collector box for the ram-air system!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-12-24 03:18 PM by Goldrush.

Attachments:
17155BB9-2A93-45CF-974E-6D8A1BBF455A.jpeg    55.7 KB
17155BB9-2A93-45CF-974E-6D8A1BBF455A.jpeg

2manyspits Avatar
2manyspits Thomas Schlundt
south bend, IN, USA   USA
Now if you get a chance come autocross with the big boys at an scca event

Austin, TX, USA   USA
1971 MG MGB
So how come I've not seen your car or you at any VTR Regional events in the 7 years I've been attending them in the South Central Region? I live in Austin and autocross with both the SASCA guys out of San Antonio and with Spokes out of Austin, and haven't seen you at any of those events either. Bring your car and let's see what it can do to any of these. Too bad you missed VTR Nationals in 2016. Would have been fun to have competition in Spitfire Modified. I only won by about 4 seconds.

arturo64 Avatar
arturo64 Arthur T
Billings, MT, USA   USA
I often wondered what an auto-cross day would look like if the cars were all as old as mine. once to try and compare a guy who races a tr6 to my spit I tried to find comparable cars that he was racing against to cars I was racing against. super hard and I really didn't come up with anything meaningful.
your car looks sweet and I remember admiring it since it was featured oh so many years ago. cool that you enjoy driving it as you do.

Arthur
68 spit
70 gt6+

Austin, TX, USA   USA
1971 MG MGB
Actually, I ended up fixing several cars Cancelli worked on. Finger tight rod bolts, engines that lasted about 30 Mike's from his shop, the list goes on. Also, I've been a crew chief on cars that had his parts, and there was zero appreciable difference. I even showed engineers at the suspension company I worked for his stuff and they just shook their heads. So to answer, yes I've seen his "quality" work, and I've first hand experience with his parts. Again, for much less money and the safety of him not using your credit card info to buy parts for other customers, you can do basic setup changes and get better results.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1971 Triumph TR6

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links