Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

SpitfireGarage Avatar
SpitfireGarage Robert MacKenzie
Georgetown, TX - Texas, USA   USA
"took fastest car in her class and fastest car of the day against the TR7’s, 8’s, and all of the GT6’s, and older models - beat them all,"

What event was this? I have been racing/auto crossing Spitfires in Texas for over 10 years. I can only recall seeing that car out once in San Antonio. It ran like shit and you went home early.

As for Chris; I know two guys in Austin he ripped off with horrid engine rebuilds and did not stand behind his work. I know of others, like yourself, who are satisfied with his products and services.
He is a paradox: a great welder & fabricator and a poor business owner who lies to his clients.

I have driven a car at an SVRA event powered by an engine he built. It failed after less than 3 hours. I tore it down. Incorrect rod bearings, finger tight main journals I could go on and on.....

My point is I have used his products and I am not impressed.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
grumpicus Steve Jackson
Leicester, Leicestershire, UK   GBR
....I'm just wondering what's prompted the revival of a thread which has had no postings since Dec 27th 2015......

arturo64 Avatar
arturo64 Arthur T
Billings, MT, USA   USA
lightened flywheel thread.... but now that I think about it, why am I even posting....

In reply to # 1504625 by grumpicus ....I'm just wondering what's prompted the revival of a thread which has had no postings since Dec 27th 2015......

Arthur
68 spit
70 gt6+

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1504625 by grumpicus ....I'm just wondering what's prompted the revival of a thread which has had no postings since Dec 27th 2015......

By a member with two posts, both to tell us how great (to the degree it would make us drool) his car is.

CRINGE!

grumpicus Steve Jackson
Leicester, Leicestershire, UK   GBR
In reply to # 1504633 by Tonyfixit

By a member with two posts, both to tell us how great (to the degree it would make us drool) his car is.

CRINGE!

Only two posts? I really hadn't noticed that..... eye rolling smiley

I think we've seen that pattern previously on here!

2manyspits Avatar
2manyspits Thomas Schlundt
south bend, IN, USA   USA
if you want to see how well a spitfire can do go to inr scca results and see how ours did this year

shinearmor Ernie Knight
Plainfield, IL, USA   USA
Had an interesting email exchange a few years back in response to his misleading advertising regarding his rear suspension set-up (which simply converted swing axles to coil springs from the transverse leaf spring). It stated that no other parts were required for any Spit or GT6 conversion. However, what it didn't say, was that if you had a rotoflex car you had to buy the swing axle rear to do the conversion. Of course the ad didn't make it entirely clear that all it was doing was converting the leaf spring to coil springs for the swing axles. Upon my bringing up the misleading ad, he argued and didn't change it. Then he went on and on irrationally extolling the virtues of swing axle rear suspension over a fully articulated independent rear suspension. I'll keep my rotoflex, thanks.

IanF Ian Furqueron
Croydon, PA, USA   USA
Yep. That spring conversion kit installed on a Roto-flex car would create a pretty scary looking camber curve.

"Lisle" - '72 GT6 basically stock and original. For now... T-9 conversion pending.
"Winnie the Poo" - '79 Spitfire 1500. Rubber to chrome bumper conversion, otherwise stock at the moment.

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
When I was 16 I (just about accidently) found myself in the Triumph used parts business, parting out Triumph MoT failiers and selling parts in the 'free ad' section of the local paper.

Since then, most of my like I have owned a business of some kind, but the things I learned working out of that old lock up garage on Saturdays have held true over the years.

Be a straight shooter!
Bad reputations get around fast.
Tell the truth (even if it costs you a sale)
Treat your suppiers the way YOU would want to be treated by your customers.
Don't make promises you may not forefill.
Pay your bills on time.
Whenever possible resolve a dispute with a customer /suppiler to a mutual degree of satifaction (don't let your ego get in the way)
99.7% of people are OK, but there is always that .3%. After many years, you get to be able to smell them comming :-)

SpitfireGarage Avatar
SpitfireGarage Robert MacKenzie
Georgetown, TX - Texas, USA   USA
Here is a photo of a IRS conversion that Chris completed on a car owned by a friend of mine when he had his shop in Austin, TX

The photo quality is not good; I think I took this with a 'phone.

In order to use his coil-over shock you have to cut away a portion of the rear upright. He went at it with a grinder but failed to remove enough material so the spring hung up and came off the perch each time there was a load on the spring.

Nice workmanship there.....

Attachments:
cc-cut-away.jpg    24.6 KB
cc-cut-away.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster