AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, WA, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
Mathieu, I notice the roundel on your bonnet seems to be in an unusual position too. usually they are over near the driver side as shown in Marks photo.
With Amanda's car having the October "made" date, it is very likey to be a strange mix. Just like in the US, ST was making and selling new model year cars as searly as September of each year during that period. When I bought my 69 model in Sept of 68, I think I mentioned elsewhere, I was given the option of buying one of the 68 model cars that was still being produced to meet orders (some were cancelled to get 69's so there were 68's available). Mine had a build date of Sept 68 but was always registered as a 69 model. I would not be surprised to see a car int eh Spt/Oct period having some confusing items on them but it does not seem likely that even ST would double up on the details, such as having both the lettering and the badge (which was actually even later) on the car at that date.
If you and Amanda have fun doing research and troubleshooting, I think it would an interesting challenge to dig up all the details you can about the cars. Don;t forget the potential for getting a Heritage certificate for the cars as well. It may be enlightening.
Go here: http://www.heritage-motor-centre.co.uk/archive-services/
or just do an online search for Triumph Heritage certificate. You will get a lot of info on what they do and see some samples/.
Dan

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
1970MKIII Avatar
1970MKIII Mathieu Poirier
North Windham, CT, USA   USA
Thanks for responding. Dan, my RAF badge was put in the incorrect place by the PO, and when I have it repainted I'll put it in the correct place, but I dont want to damage the paint which is why it hasn't been done. Dave, I'll talk with Amanda about it, she might want to leave the badges as is, I personally like the look of the European style. Mark, it seems strange that the cars were built only that few apart when yours was made in December 1969 and hers was built in October 1970. We're currently getting hammered by hurricane Sandy so hopefully our cars are safe and dry as we're not with them. I won't be a happy camper if a tree comes down on the garage.

grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
The suburbs of, Winfield, Maryland, USA   USA
Matt - Here are a few pictures of the correct details for a European 1970 Mk3.
Notice the bonnet with the Spitfire badge, but no TRIUMPH letters.
Notice the dashboard has the gauges in the center, not in front of the driver.
Dave

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L
34/11 (Jasmine yellow/Black interior)

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-01 10:00 AM by grubscrew.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
1970_mk3_european model.jpg    48.8 KB
1970_mk3_european model.jpg

1970_mk3_european model 02.jpg    50 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
1970_mk3_european model 03.jpg    45.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, WA, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
If you don;t miond, I think I'll steal a copy of these pics. I'm working on putting together a montage of all the different models for as many years as I can. I have about 40 different pictures now from a variety of countries around the world but I don't have a 70 Mk3 Euro.Thanks for posting. Mathieu, hope you and Amanda get through the storm well, and the cars too.
Dan

Spitnut64 Avatar
Spitnut64 Gold Member John Mills
Milwaukee, WI, USA   USA
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Sarah Jane"
Amanda, congratulations on your "new" Spitfire. The discussion of the commission plate is interesting to say the least. As others have pointed-out the commission number for your Spit ID's it as a '70 Mk3 built in late 1969, but Mathieu mentions it as reading Oct. 1970 for the build date; if that is indeed correct, then I suspect that someone replaced the original plate in the past with a new plate, and may have misprinted that date info.

As for the back of the car, again it's obvious that in the past damaged or missing lenses or reflectors were replaced with whatever someone was able to obtain. I think that grubscrew is correct that you have the proper (for the Federal '70) L847 taillights (those are hard to find - you can verify the part number, it's molded right on the outside of the lens) otherwise on either side of the car back there you should have an outboard amber light (L794), and just inboard of that an RER31 reflector. While I believe the amber lights were common to all of the roundtailed Spits, the RER31's can also be hard to come by; I acquired a pair from the ebay UK site - and I recommend keeping an eye on ebay UK for those hard to find bits. Just be patient on these items, they are not pure unobtainium. Good luck, and have fun!

PS - In a strange way your cars kinda match, given that you both have either incorrect, or misplaced badging on the bonnets.

PPS - yes please post pics of the dash and interior, it will help to complete the cars story for us.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-31 05:12 PM by Spitnut64.

M, CT, USA   USA
Hi everyone, I'm happy to say the car has survived the hurricane as it didn't hit my area as bad as the shorelines. Thanks for all the input, I am going to make the decisions about badges and whatnot when the time comes to repaint it to the original Jasmine yellow (you can see on the radio bracket). Here is a picture of the interior (keep in mind that it is going to be restored!) I believe the dash is aftermarket, since originally they were black in 1970.

Attachments:
WP_000570.jpg    57.9 KB
WP_000570.jpg

Andy-Sherry Avatar
Andy-Sherry Gold Member Andy Martin
Portland, OR, USA   USA
Welcome to the forum lots of great help and advice to be found here,it looks like a candidate for another pink spit.
Andy&Sherry

Any excuse to put a pic on lol

Andy&Sherry
1974 Spit 1500 Carmine Red
1977 Spit 1500 Pink Panther Pink

Always learning something

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-31 04:03 PM by Andy-Sherry.

Attachments:
003.JPG    73.8 KB
003.JPG

grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
Back to Jasmine Yellow, wow, you really do have great taste in Spitfire years and colors! winking smiley

If you click on Andy-Sherry's screen name, you'll know what he's talking about.

If the original color was Jasmine Yellow, it would be Paint Code 34 on the commission plate (you probably already knew that).

Yeah, your dash is not original.

With Matt's car, you've probably got a good jump on what a North American 1970 should look like, but when you get started restoring, if you need any additional photos just let me know.

Good luck,
Dave

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
I like the Flintstone style brakes! Lots of work in that one.

'S all for now
Vic

tmpass Avatar
tmpass Tim P
Medway, MA, USA   USA
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "Capo"
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "Blue Oxide"
In reply to # 849823 by Spitnut64
As for the back of the car, again it's obvious that in the past damaged or missing lenses or reflectors were replaced with whatever someone was able to obtain. I think that grubscrew is correct that you have the proper (for the Federal '70) L847 taillights (those are hard to find - you can verify the part number, it's molded right on the outside of the lens) otherwise on either side of the car back there you should have an outboard amber light (L794), and just inboard of that an RER31 reflector. While I believe the amber lights were common to all of the roundtailed Spits, the RER31's can also be hard to come by; I acquired a pair from the ebay UK site - and I recommend keeping an eye on ebay UK for those hard to find bits. Just be patient on these items, they are not pure unobtainium. Good luck, and have fun!

Aren't those are 70 GT6+ lights, which are larger than the MKIII Spitfire lights. I had inadvertently purchased the Spit lights and they are smaller than GT6 units, or so I thought.

Triumph was famous for mixing parts, using whatever was on the shelf that day of assembly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-31 09:46 PM by tmpass.

Spitnut64 Avatar
Spitnut64 Gold Member John Mills
Milwaukee, WI, USA   USA
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Sarah Jane"
Tim, if you're referring to the L847 taillights used on the '70 Mk3 Spits (and I presume GT6+’s), then yes - while the L847's were the proper lights for the North American market cars, the UK and Euro cars still used the old standard L672 taillights (and lacked the RER31 reflectors); and i agree, that for all of the US market 1970 cars I've seen pictured with the L672, I have no doubt that if Triumph, on any given production day, had run out of the L847's then they just slapped L672's on the tails of those US bound '70's and sent them on their way. Of course, I have no proof of that statement, it’s just my speculation.

L672’s had a large reflective area on their bottom half that the L847’s lacked (or at least had reduced), since the RER31’s satisfied the Federal reflector requirement for those US market ’70’s. (See Dave’s photo attached in post #30)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-02 06:21 PM by Spitnut64.

M, CT, USA   USA
Great minds think alike!

As for the taillights, I will have to check the number on them, the car isnt at my house, but my garage was recently cleaned out so now my Spitfire can be rolled in this weekend!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-01 09:34 AM by 1971-MkIII.

Attachments:
flinestone.jpg    62.3 KB
flinestone.jpg

grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
Ha, best photo yet!
....and the photoshop edits!
Dave

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-01 09:47 AM by grubscrew.

tmpass Avatar
tmpass Tim P
Medway, MA, USA   USA
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "Capo"
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "Blue Oxide"
In reply to # 850078 by Spitnut64 L672’s had a large reflective area on their bottom half that the L847’s lacked (or at least had reduced), since the RER31’s satisfied the Federal reflector requirement for those US market ’70’s.

Well you certainly know your lights! I musta picked up some smaller euro lights, wonder if I still have them.

Personally, I never understood the extra reflectors, why requireed, governments being governmental I guess. It makes the lights all look like an afterthought, which most likely they were (from a design standpoint.)

If/when I replace my rear valance, I would definetely drop those extra reflectors and go with a smaller amber turn signal.

Also, don't know if its just me, but I like the reverse light/plate light plinth rather than just the small reverse lights on the 67/68 models.

grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
I too prefer the 1970 reverse/number plate plinth.
Also like the 1970 amber turn signals(outboard) and the 1970 red reflectors (inboard).
Also like the L847 tail/stoplight lenses.
I wouldn't change a thing.
JMO.
Dave

From an old thread: L847 on the left, L672 on the right

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-11-01 09:42 AM by grubscrew.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster