TRExp

Spitfire & GT6 Forum

What did you do to your Spitfire or GT6 today?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Spitnut64 Avatar
Spitnut64 Gold Member John Mills
Milwaukee, WI, USA   USA
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Sarah Jane"
In reply to a post by JohnW63 Two years about making out, two years of foggy scenery , and one year of "buy one before we stop making them. "

Hmmm …, I can't help but notice that the "making out" ones, as you say, both involve Roundtails; while the Squaretails just get foggy and endangered! smoking smiley

-

"Given enough time, an amateur can build anything.”

- Bob Hicks (as quoted in the 1997 "Mariner’s Book Of Days"winking smiley

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
In reply to # 1510428 by Spitnut64
In reply to a post by JohnW63 Two years about making out, two years of foggy scenery , and one year of "buy one before we stop making them. "

Hmmm …, I can't help but notice that the "making out" ones, as you say, both involve Roundtails; while the Squaretails just get foggy and endangered! smoking smiley -

Luckily, there are still women who consider it not only a challenge but an item on the bucket list.

SpitMan Avatar
SpitMan Silver Member Doug Walls
Brandywine, MD, USA   USA
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Lil' Red Fox"
1998 Chevrolet Corvette "Silver Fox"
2007 Chevrolet Silverado "Workhorse"
2013 Chevrolet Malibu "Pearl Baby"
Plenty of them on EBAY, Dan. Here is one that is complete with Photos and specs.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1978-1979-Triumph-Spitfire-Brochure-mx439-ON5FXA-/290878481448?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-30 06:39 AM by SpitMan.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, WA, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
In reply to # 1510442 by SpitMan Plenty of them on EBAY, Dan. Here is one that is complete with Photos and specs.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1978-1979-Triumph-Spitfire-Brochure-mx439-ON5FXA-/290878481448?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

I figured there were probably a lot of reprints etc available, just have not had time yet to go search and see what I find. (I did buy this one). It came out of the fog.

Dan

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
SAINT LOUIS, MO, USA   USA
1978 Triumph 1500 "BLK-BRY"
AAAAaaaarggggg........ Took everyone's advice.... removed the Weber carb for a rebuild...... ordered the kit, bought the berryman's gallon with basket... Woo.... Kit isn't here yet - so I just played around - taking things apart and putting them back where they belonged..... DAMN - this thing is almost as clean as a rebuilt Holly.... I might have felt some "crap" in one galleyway - or maybe not.... But - I'll clean her up and blow her out - then put her back on....

On the busy front.... Disconnected the catalytic converter - cause I just knew the ceramics inside had to be clogged after 40 years....... Had my 2 ft screwdriver, hammer, and pry bar - ready to clear out all the obstructions....... Ooops... PO already reamed it out... clean and clear.... What a pain to take that section of exhaust apart for no gain..... Still wondering if a 4/2/1 header assembly would be worth the $500 (overall).....

So... kind of a wasted day - unless you consider new exhaust bolts to be a worthwhile endeavor..... Pfffffffttttttttttttttttttttttt.. (however, I do have a nice brand new set of jackstands... LOL...

Z

scardini1 Avatar
scardini1 Gold Member Jim Moscardini
Great Mills, MD, USA   USA
1968 Triumph GT6 "Rocinante"
2003 Jaguar XKR "Kitty"
Sorry Steven,... I guess maybe I "should" have said something. Those of us with Weber experience know that once you get a Weber dialed-in, you almost NEVER have to touch it again (unless there's a definitely a compelling reason).

Oh well, ... think about how much even MORE clean it's going to look inside now. drinking smiley

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
No issue there..... My Weber/intake/exhaust (something) is causing issues..... so rebuilding it makes sense, regardless what it looks like once I take it apart.... Intake/exhaust manifold gaskets should be replaced to eliminate leaks..... Just thought, while I was in there - that I would "blow out the catalytic converter".... LOL..... PO did it for me.... aw well... an hour getting the bolts loose - $5.00 for penetrating solvent - and - at least - I know what I've got under the hood.....

Z

scardini1 Avatar
scardini1 Gold Member Jim Moscardini
Great Mills, MD, USA   USA
1968 Triumph GT6 "Rocinante"
2003 Jaguar XKR "Kitty"
Yup - it's all good.

Enjoy!

byakk0 Avatar
byakk0 Hazen Wardle
Boise, ID, USA   USA
Fiddled around with my carbs a little more. Made some more headway but not quite properly tuned yet, but I learned a little more.
The rest of the story in my journal.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~Hazen.

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
Rebuilt my weber.... house smells like Berryman's and neighbors wonder why that air compressor has been working hard all afternoon..........

Doubt it is going to make a difference (Carb was practically spotless inside)... but at least now I know for sure....

cmfisher4 Avatar
cmfisher4 Gold Member Chris Fisher
Mystic, CT, USA   USA
For the first time since 6/8/2016, though temporary, the body has been mated with the chassis! Some fit issues, but not bad. I'm doing this to ensure I get a good gap fit when I weld up the outer sills. It will come back off after that to get the bottom of it all cleaned and painted.

Unfortunately, I popped the weld on the captive nut on my new outrigger, so that's going to be a bi*#&h to get to and fix, but I should be able to work around it for now. Also, like Hazen (even though he told me about it and I thought I took adequate precautions to avoid it), I missed by about half a bolt width on the front mounting bracket that I removed and replaced, so I'll have to remedy that as well.

Otherwise, it was nice to see them team up once again!

Cheers,
Chris

I learn something new every day...especially if I am working on my LBC!
Please visit my blog and website at http://www.roundtailrestoration.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-31 07:54 PM by cmfisher4.

Attachments:
IMG_3912.JPG    62.1 KB
IMG_3912.JPG

IMG_3913.JPG    51.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
A daunting project!! Kudo's to you!!!!

Z

planebow Robert Howard
Kalispell, MT, USA   USA
Started working on the rear brakes today. Overhauled one rear cylinder and cleaned up parts. I have overhauled many brake cylinders over the years but none of them had as tight of a seal as this. Not sure if this is right or not.

jefferygt jeffery Ee
vantucky, WA, USA   USA
Inspirational!

Excellent.

N5329K Avatar
N5329K Silver Member Robin White
Pacific Grove, CA, USA   USA
Topped off the final drive (differential) with fresh 90-weight Gl 4. I used a big syringe to add the gear oil, but getting the square-head plug out was not so straightforward. It involved using the square drive end of a half-inch socket, a coupling nut, then a normal 3/8ths ratchet and socket to grip the coupling nut. I used some fresh thread seal on the plug and snugged it back tight.
More complicated to describe than to do, and leveling the car with only two stands was a chore (large blocks of wood under the wheels were involved), but eventually I added about 1/2 cup of fresh oil.
Robin

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster