TRExp

Spitfire & GT6 Forum

What did you do to your Spitfire or GT6 today?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
Sure beats mixing yokes.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
cmfisher4 Avatar
cmfisher4 Gold Member Chris Fisher
Mystic, CT, USA   USA
Got a small patch installed in the front corner of the boot channel that had rotted through. Simple repair, but another spot done!

Also finished up the attachment welds on the rear valance (as opposed to the hole-fill welds that remain).

Cheers,
Chris

I learn something new every day...especially if I am working on my LBC!
Please visit my blog and website at http://www.roundtailrestoration.com

Attachments:
IMG_3907.JPG    44.2 KB
IMG_3907.JPG

IMG_3904.JPG    35.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
JohnW63 John Williamson
Apple Valley, CA, USA   USA
I need to learn to weld. No if ands or buts about it.

Home of the 1969 GT6+ MK II resurrection project
and a sorry looking 1968 GT6+ parts car trying to stay whole.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
It's an easy to learn skill.

cmfisher4 Avatar
Mystic, CT, USA   USA
Yes, John, it's not too bad. I had never picked up a welder of any kind (well, a cutting torch, but that was for destruction, not restoration) before I got my MIG. Get a quality machine and then practice. I've had my fair share of bad welds, and I continue to, but it isn't really that bad.

Cheers,
Chris

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-28 06:30 PM by cmfisher4.

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
It also good to be handy with a grinder.

In reply to # 1510138 by cmfisher4 Yes, John, it's not too bad. I had never picked up a welder of any kind before I got my MIG. Get a quality machine and then practice. I've had my fair share of bad welds, and I continue to, but it isn't really that bad.

Cheers,
Chris

'S all for now
Vic

dherr2 Avatar
dherr2 David Herr
Adamstown, MD, USA   USA
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Rat Rod"
Nice work Chris, always feels good when you can see your progress at the end of the day.

I second what Chris said in regards to getting a decent welder. I had a cheap one and could not weld at all, but got a Miller Matic and it makes it seem easy. Once you play with it and do some practice welds, you will be confident to tackle almost any project. I am getting ready to cut out my floors and rear valance on my project, but with the body shell braced, it will be a fun project and I'll know it was done right when I am done.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
It's also great to do bodywork without neighbors.

SpitinStPete Avatar
SpitinStPete Jeff N
St Petersburg, FL, USA   USA
1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "The Spit"
Well after a week of dealing with a battery, starter and starter relay and still not able to get my Spit started, I took the brand new starter to the parts store to get it tested.... Failed every try. Brought in the old starter too, just for grins. failed 3 out of 4 tries and then blew the fuse on the testing machine on the last try.... Never would have thought a brand new starter would be bad... Installed the new one and my spit fire up to life!!! Biggest grin on my face ever.... To bad it was pouring rain out as I would have taken her for a spin.... Maybe tomorrow.
Thanks everyone for the insight on solving this....Very helpful.

Jeff

Wolfcreek Steve Steve P
Central, WI, USA   USA
Unfortunately, unusable new parts are becoming the norm, China is not our friend!

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, WA, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
Chris: What are the holes in the fender for? Leftovers?

Dang I wish I could get that fender piece done on mine. Maybe I would be more likely to attack the front pieces.
Dan

cmfisher4 Avatar
Mystic, CT, USA   USA
Dan, yes, I found them under lots of bondo. Looks like the car got smacked in that corner at some point and I assume the PO used a slide hammer in an attempt to pull the dents outs. I have relatively good access through the inside of the boot, so I'll try and hammer and dolly it all out from there instead.

Chris

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
Chris, use the end of a rubber hammer to knock that dent out. You can put it in place on the outer edges and then smack the handle. Saves lots of dents. I use a couple of different size rubber hammers.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, WA, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
Made a discovery out in the shop today that I had not noticed existed,. I was going through a stack of papers and books in my "when I get aroundtoit box and discovered I had 5 of the new car ads for the Spitfires. I knew I had collected a couple here and there but it has been over a lot of years so didn't realize I had 5 of them. Now I just need to find a 78 and 79 so I have one for each of my cars.

Dan

Attachments:
69.jpg    42.5 KB
69.jpg

70.jpg    40.8 KB
71.jpg    43.7 KB
72.jpg    37.6 KB
76.jpg    87.7 KB
JohnW63 John Williamson
Apple Valley, CA, USA   USA
Two years about making out, two years of foggy scenery , and one year of "buy one before we stop making them. "

Home of the 1969 GT6+ MK II resurrection project
and a sorry looking 1968 GT6+ parts car trying to stay whole.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster