TRExp

Spitfire & GT6 Forum

What did you do to your Spitfire or GT6 today?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
No pictures, didn't happen!

In reply to # 1533289 by Tyler4834 Purchased a Hard Top for the Spitfire and picked it up today!

'S all for now
Vic

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
BJ72 Avatar
BJ72 Broc James
Marina Del Rey, CA, USA   USA
Just put engine back in. Almost ready to drive again, I can't wait!

Attachments:
20180512_101714.jpg    47.7 KB
20180512_101714.jpg

20180512_102024.jpg    33.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
20180512_101712.jpg    45.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
SAINT LOUIS, MO, USA   USA
1978 Triumph 1500 "BLK-BRY"
I love it... and your enthusiasm.... Kudo's to you!!

Obviously, your definition of "almost ready to drive" differs a tad from mine... LOL..... (means airing up the tires to me... eye popping smiley

Can't wait to hear about your "christening".....

Z

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
dherr2 Avatar
dherr2 David Herr
Adamstown, MD, USA   USA
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Rat Rod"
So worked on my emergency brake cable routing today. So on a Spitfire the cable that connects to each drum brake backing plate normally runs around two small 45 bends before connecting in the center to a piece that connects to the pivot on the body that is pulled by the emergency brake lever. I had several issues one being that I had removed 45 bends when I did the differential swap, two was that a GT6 Rotoflex is run a little different and normally has the 45 bends mounted on the body shell. Finally, my brake lever is 6 inches further back so I'll need to shorten the cable that runs to the lever. So the solution needed to route the cable properly, take up the slack and be removable for service. Here is my result, bolts in and seems to work perfectly.

I had kept a section of the old floor to use for this very purpose as it has the pivot bracket on it, so I could bolt it to the frame, and then install the pivot bracket and both the cable going to the brake handle and the rear cable to see what needed to be done. Bolts in place and with a little grease, works smoothly. Next steps are to apply the heat shields to the body and it will be ready to mount on the frame this weekend!

J.P.Rap Avatar
J.P.Rap J.P. Rap
Mount Hope, ON, Canada   CAN
1976 Triumph 1500 "Donna"
2007 Ford Ranger
Got an email today. My new soft top is in. Will pick it up on Friday.

Yesterday was bit scary. Shortly after leaving the house in the morning I heard a faint thump, thump, thump. Sounded like it was coming from the back but I wasn't sure. Definitely associated with speed. I suspected a problem with the brakes.
Later, as I was about to head home, the same thump, thump, thump, but it's much louder now and coming from the front. Figured I'd better have a look before I head out. My right front wheel was about to fall off.eye popping smiley All the nuts were still there but they wouldn't be for long if I hadn't checked.
Of all the tools I have in the boot, none of them is a lug wrench (or even an adjustable). I tightened them as best I could by hand and carefully drove home. After tightening the those nuts, I checked the rest. All but one tightened (maybe 1/2 turn). I'll be using a torque wrench from now on and Ill make sure I have a lug wrench in the boot.

"In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant." Elwood P. Dowd

byakk0 Avatar
byakk0 Hazen Wardle
Boise, ID, USA   USA
Fighting rain this weekend, but I managed to redo a few of my interior panels. The hardboard I used wasn't very good and I had messed up a couple panels anyway.
Worked a little on the radio dash support, but mostly just getting ready to cover it in walnut veneer and figuring out how I'm going to do that. But, I've got the plywood and veneer.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~Hazen.

SpitMan Avatar
SpitMan Silver Member Doug Walls
Brandywine, MD, USA   USA
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Lil' Red Fox"
1998 Chevrolet Corvette "Silver Fox"
2007 Chevrolet Silverado "Workhorse"
2013 Chevrolet Malibu "Pearl Baby"
Hi Hazen,

Sounds like the dash support will look nice. The only thing I found when working with mine is getting enough clearance for putting in the four bottom bolts. I am confident that you will work it out!

Good luck,

Doug/SpitMan

In reply to # 1533708 by byakk0 Fighting rain this weekend, but I managed to redo a few of my interior panels. The hardboard I used wasn't very good and I had messed up a couple panels anyway.
Worked a little on the radio dash support, but mostly just getting ready to cover it in walnut veneer and figuring out how I'm going to do that. But, I've got the plywood and veneer.

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
1933 MG Magnette
West System 3 epoxy is the best thing for laminating wood.

In reply to # 1533708 by byakk0 Fighting rain this weekend, but I managed to redo a few of my interior panels. The hardboard I used wasn't very good and I had messed up a couple panels anyway.

'S all for now
Vic

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
I would consider some rubber bellows to keep water out of those tubes.

byakk0 Avatar
byakk0 Hazen Wardle
Boise, ID, USA   USA
I'll start a new topic on it when I get to it in a few weeks, but in the mean time, is there any problems with using regular old titebond II wood glue? Just wondering.

In reply to # 1533749 by carChips West System 3 epoxy is the best thing for laminating wood.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~Hazen.

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
In reply to # 1534059 by byakk0 I'll start a new topic on it when I get to it in a few weeks, but in the mean time, is there any problems with using regular old titebond II wood glue? Just wondering.

In reply to # 1533749 by carChips West System 3 epoxy is the best thing for laminating wood.

Prolly not a problem.... CarChips just expressed his views on his perspective of the "best system" (which I agree with... West is associated with a Marine environment)..... were you to take a poll.... you would get 20-30 different responses..... West Systems is superb for all weather applications.... which might apply to your lil girl if you leave the top down and her in the rain regularly..... Myself - the dash stays dry 99% of the time....(unexpected downpours notwithstanding).... and typical adhesives work just fine..... (appropriate adhesives... and I'm not sure titebond truly qualifies - I would have to do more research). In other words... so should you...

Z

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-18 12:40 PM by TheZster.

SpitMan Avatar
SpitMan Silver Member Doug Walls
Brandywine, MD, USA   USA
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Lil' Red Fox"
1998 Chevrolet Corvette "Silver Fox"
2007 Chevrolet Silverado "Workhorse"
2013 Chevrolet Malibu "Pearl Baby"
I have used the West System when I restored my 1985 Bayliner.....great stuff but may be an overkill for your project. Unless you have one of these:
Then you may consider it!

I prefer to use Loctite Spray Glue or Weldwood contact cement. The good thing about the Tilebond is you have a lot of working time to move things around the other two are not so forgiving but will last longer.

Good luck,

Doug/SpitMan

In reply to # 1534059 by byakk0 I'll start a new topic on it when I get to it in a few weeks, but in the mean time, is there any problems with using regular old titebond II wood glue? Just wondering.

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
Weldwood contact cement is unforgiving... but very, very nice..... I use it for laminating countertops in cheaper homes....one I did is going on 40 years ago.... and no "drips/runs/errors" so to speak... Not to mention it is a kitchen countertop - exposed to lots and lots of moisture regularly...

My boats...... West products - for certain...

Z

ptooner Gerry Geddings
Jacksonville, FL, USA   USA
I think you mean titebond III don't you? In any case it will hold as strongly as anything else if you clamp it thoroughly. That is what I use for wood laminates. Titebond II is less moisure resistant and dries a bit faster.
Gerry

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
1933 MG Magnette
Hazen, plain old wood glue just doesn't stick it! I used it on mine and it's peeling a bit after after a few years.You can PM me for more details.

'S all for now
Vic

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster