TRExp

Spitfire & GT6 Forum

What did you do to your Spitfire or GT6 today?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
SAINT LOUIS, MO, USA   USA
1978 Triumph 1500 "BLK-BRY"
In reply to # 1526775 by sendingstache I got one from Moss US that doesn't look identical to the original but was close enough that I was happy with it. It was very affordable and as I too don't smoke, my priority was just having it for the sake of originality. It does work fine though, which is nice to know should I ever choose to take up smoking.

142-270 at about $8.99???

You take up smoking and I will have you banned from this forum.... (from a 20 yr pack a day idiot)....

Z

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Growe58 Avatar
Growe58 Greg Rowe
Hatfield, PA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1526715 by TheZster
Interesting note - to me..... Passenger side and Driver's side both have metal backing for dash panels...... Passenger side has a perfectly formed circle at the left/top edge.... for another 2" gauge..... Wonder what they were thinking?????

Z

Rationalization with the GT6 which had a dash vent there.

sendingstache Karan B
Los Angeles, CA, USA   USA
haha, i definitely indulged in the past. and yea, that's the one!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
J.P.Rap Avatar
J.P.Rap J.P. Rap
Mount Hope, ON, Canada   CAN
1976 Triumph 1500 "Donna"
2007 Ford Ranger
Today I removed and reinstalled the 4 bolts that bolt the spring to the diff. I didn't like they way they went in the first time. Too much stud sticking up on some. Torqued them down then closed everything up.
Spent about an hour cleaning the car and called it a night. Just have to bleed the brakes and I'm ready for the road.

"In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant." Elwood P. Dowd

racer490 Jerry Bryant
Palm Harbor, USA   USA
Z That hole may be for the air vent in a GT-6 not a gauge.

Pointyhead Avatar
Pointyhead Ernie B
Warner Robins, GA, USA   USA
1978 MG MGB "Nigel" ~ For Sale ! ~
1980 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Nigel II"
Well, technically, it wasn't what I did today, but a friend did to my Spit that's currently residing in his shop. After our weekend excursion that I wrote about here, https://www.triumphexp.com/phorum/read.php?9,1526665 , I ordered a new tank and fuel pump. Ronnie decided to go ahead and pull the tank for me. He also found another filter on the tank side that was all gunked up and the gas was nasty. He also pulled the fuel pump and cleaned it. It's great to have knowledgeable friends that love to work for the sake of it.

Attachments:
5456185651_resized.jpg    17.3 KB
5456185651_resized.jpg

5456186301_resized.jpg    19.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
JP, a little note. Those studs have different length threads and the shorter ones go in the differential. If the long end goes too far it will hit the crown wheel.
To make getting them started without cross threading, loosen the cross bolt up a bit so the cage can move around some, as the spring is almost impossible to move out of the scoket. Don't forget to tighten it back up.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

ptooner Gerry Geddings
Jacksonville, FL, USA   USA
In reply to # 1526735 by TheZster
In reply to # 1526720 by Doug in Vegas Some of the grinding type holes saws will work. Chuck it in your drill press and cut just enough to get under the top grain and then switch blades. No splinters.

Gee, thanks Doug... Now instead of buying a single hole saw.... I get to buy two...... "NOT"...

Z
This is what wood working hobbyist use to make circular holes: http://www.rockler.com/circle-cutter
Gerry

jkell01 Avatar
jkell01 Jack Kelleher
New Haven, CT, USA   USA
1980 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Mrs. Doubtfire"
In reply to # 1526905 by ptooner This is what wood working hobbyist use to make circular holes: http://www.rockler.com/circle-cutter
Gerry

Quite easy to grind one of these for yourself, too. I did this while working on a homemade guitar a couple years ago. Chuck it in an endmill and it offers a great way to plane a piece of wood, too, if you have an endmill handy (oh the joys of college engineering centers...)

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
In reply to # 1526905 by ptooner
In reply to # 1526735 by TheZster
In reply to # 1526720 by Doug in Vegas Some of the grinding type holes saws will work. Chuck it in your drill press and cut just enough to get under the top grain and then switch blades. No splinters.

Gee, thanks Doug... Now instead of buying a single hole saw.... I get to buy two...... "NOT"...

Z
This is what wood working hobbyist use to make circular holes: http://www.rockler.com/circle-cutter
Gerry

LOL.... I'm not a hobbyist..... I'm a general contractor...... those work in certain situations.... but are a touch to 'wobbly" for perfectly round holes in half inch of solid oak....

Real hole saws are much cleaner/accurate...

Z

Wolfcreek Steve Steve P
Central, WI, USA   USA
Being a retired machinist, I'd try to rig one of these to work in a drill press. http://www.hougen.com/cutters/cutters_index.html

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, WA, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
As a part time wood dude I will agree those circle cutters can be helpful but to ensure you actually cut the circle and not tear it out, you need tomodify it so the leading face is not blunt. The cutting edge can be ground at an angle so it is actually slicing rather that gouging its way through. It takes very little angle and a very slow engagement to get it perfect.
Best of luck with getting it all finished.
Dan

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
In reply to # 1526962 by Yellowhawk Valley As a part time wood dude I will agree those circle cutters can be helpful but to ensure you actually cut the circle and not tear it out, you need tomodify it so the leading face is not blunt. The cutting edge can be ground at an angle so it is actually slicing rather that gouging its way through. It takes very little angle and a very slow engagement to get it perfect.
Best of luck with getting it all finished.
Dan

Thanks so much!!! Ya know... as is usual in this forum.... we can get advice down to the 1/100000000 of an inch on what we're trying to accomplish.... But usually not necessary for our purposes.....

I'm drilling a 3 7/8 hole - with a 4 1/8 face plate..... Plenty of room for slop...... this works for the same on a 1" inch hole with a 1.10 face plate..... ETC., Etc, etc.... biggest issue is "making a clean cut so there isn't any splintering around the face of the hole.....

To my discredit... I just tried to drill a 1 inch hole for the factory cig lighter....Used the wrong bit.... and was to close to the edge of the dash panel.... Whoops.... Blew it into two pieces... (I knew better).... Now I've got to glue and secure those two pieces to appear "invisible" to the finished product.. (not a problem with cabinet screws..... judicious drill work....)....

Guarantee - Once done... You'll never notice the break in the grain......

Alway's Something"...

Z

alanroseman Avatar
alanroseman Silver Member Alan Roseman
Rehoboth, MA, USA   USA
1978 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "The Little Car.."
This is what I did "for" my Spitfire today... the same thing I've been doing for 18 years...
Investing in British rust...

Somewhere there's a hard and fast rule which states we must spend x amount of dollars per season on the Spitfire...

Alan Roseman
President
British Motorcars of New England

www.bmcne.org

Check on the photos every now and then... all free for download, in all sizes.

The British Motorcar Festival Bristol RI:

Photographs - For your computer

A BMCNE Cruise:

Portsmouth & Aquidnik Island, RI

Attachments:
Victoria British Order.jpg    50.4 KB
Victoria British Order.jpg

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
Aaaaaarg.... Always something....

new dash coming along beautifully.... Grains match on the 3 pieces.... beautiful grains on a choice piece of red oak....

Then... Daughter demanded I drill out the hole for the original cigarette lighter..... "okay.. fine"!!!

Just blew out the skinny edges of that particular hole..... using - what I knew was the wrong drill bit.... "Let's blame me - cause no one else touched it".... Aaaarg.......

Back to the hardwood store for another piece of pretty grain wood... and starting over....

Bahhhhhhhh.... Humbug..... I knew better..... using a spade bit where I should have used a hole cutter....

Z

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links