TRExp

Spitfire & GT6 Forum

What did you do to your Spitfire or GT6 today?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
SAINT LOUIS, MO, USA   USA
1978 Triumph 1500 "BLK-BRY"
In reply to # 1526508 by J.P.Rap Lookin good Z. thumbs upthumbs up
Well, thank you JP.....

I'm trying.... it's a cautious period in the project..... One mis-cut... and I have to start over... confused smiley

Z

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
J.P.Rap Avatar
J.P.Rap J.P. Rap
Mount Hope, ON, Canada   CAN
1976 Triumph 1500 "Donna"
2007 Ford Ranger
Got my differential installed today and everything connected. Maybe I'll get to go on a test drive this month. Who knows, this weather is crazy

"In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant." Elwood P. Dowd

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
I like where the grain went.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
In reply to # 1526552 by Doug in Vegas I like where the grain went.

If that's pointed at my new dash.... Thx..... If not - quit reading now... I had a 8 ft piece of red oak.... with some minor flaws here and there (which is why it was free from the hardwood company).... I tried to find the prettiest grain pattern I could for the new dash - while wanting it to maintain continuity between the three pieces.... I like it!!

Biggest problem... finding a 3 7/8 hole saw for the new speedo/tach...... typical stores carry 3 5/8 - then jump to 4...... Had to special order a hole saw for two stinkin holes.... BUT - gotta do it right!!

Z

denislp2000 Avatar
denislp2000 Denis Palmer
Tulsa, OK, USA   USA
there are adjustable hole saws,,,
some with one arm others with 2,,, with a drill press they work well.
this one on ebay for around
10.49 for a few holes these work well.

Denis

Pro Adjustable Hole Saw 1 1/2" - 7 3/4" Wood Circle Cutter Bit Drill Press Tool

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
In reply to # 1526663 by denislp2000 there are adjustable hole saws,,,
some with one arm others with 2,,, with a drill press they work well.
this one on ebay for around
10.49 for a few holes these work well.

Denis

Pro Adjustable Hole Saw 1 1/2" - 7 3/4" Wood Circle Cutter Bit Drill Press Tool

Thanks Denis....

Yeah.... I'm familiar with the concept... but don't care for them when precision work is required.... they tend to "wobble" a bit..... Great for general woodwork in softwoods...... but not so much when I want an exact hole size in close grained Oak - in my very special project..... (in my experience).... I do appreciate the feedback..... but ordered a one time DeWalt saw for $18 delivered... (I've got the proper mandrel) . Not a bad deal... I've probably got 20 different sizes in my stock.... but that one eluded me.... So Now I've Got 21!!

Z

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
Pulled the passenger side dash panel this morning... and the lower trim piece (metal covered with vinyl) from passenger door to steering wheel.... Vinyl is not in "great" condition... so I'm considering replacing it prior to final dash install....

She doesn't know it yet... but daughter is NOT going to get the factory cigarette lighter back in place..... (what a fiasco)... She only wanted it cause it was "period and cool".... but can easily do without it... OE replacements are out there somewhere... but I'm not going to search for them.... (she doesn't smoke - and if she did - I'd take her car away)....

Center and right side panels look like they're going to fit perfectly.... Will require a little "modification of attachment studs".... but that's what I do... LOL....

Interesting note - to me..... Passenger side and Driver's side both have metal backing for dash panels...... Passenger side has a perfectly formed circle at the left/top edge.... for another 2" gauge..... Wonder what they were thinking?????

Z

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
Some of the grinding type holes saws will work. Chuck it in your drill press and cut just enough to get under the top grain and then switch blades. No splinters.

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
In reply to # 1526720 by Doug in Vegas Some of the grinding type holes saws will work. Chuck it in your drill press and cut just enough to get under the top grain and then switch blades. No splinters.

Gee, thanks Doug... Now instead of buying a single hole saw.... I get to buy two...... "NOT"...

Z

LostBoys Avatar
LostBoys Paul Laflamme
St-Lazare, QC, Canada   CAN
Thé lighter socket makes a great plug in for a USB port! Good for charging cell phones, connecting GPS units etc. Just throw away the lighter!

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
In reply to # 1526743 by LostBoys Thé lighter socket makes a great plug in for a USB port! Good for charging cell phones, connecting GPS units etc. Just throw away the lighter!

Agreed.... and that's all well and good.... till you realize our new retrosound stereo system has integrated USB ports hanging down via cable about an inch below the dash.... She got plug ins if she needs them.....

Z

TheFlash300 Avatar
TheFlash300 Dave Gutknecht
Rochester Hills, MI, USA   USA
1979 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Lil Spit"
In reply to # 1526745 by TheZster
In reply to # 1526743 by LostBoys Thé lighter socket makes a great plug in for a USB port! Good for charging cell phones, connecting GPS units etc. Just throw away the lighter!

Agreed.... and that's all well and good.... till you realize our new retrosound stereo system has integrated USB ports hanging down via cable about an inch below the dash.... She got plug ins if she needs them.....

Z

Just make sure the integrated USB ports supply enough current to power your devices. That integrated USB port could only source 500mA and newer cell phones want 2.4-3 Amps to charge properly.

SpitMan Avatar
SpitMan Doug Walls
Brandywine, MD, USA   USA
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Lil' Red Fox"
1998 Chevrolet Corvette "Silver Fox"
2007 Chevrolet Silverado "Workhorse"
2013 Chevrolet Malibu "Pearl Baby"
Taking a break from working on Lil" Red Fox. Got a lot done today: finished the rear part of the interior; mounted the retractable seat-belts; marked the center of the front and rear of the car and new top for installing the top (Thursday???); and put the door handles on. Plus a few little things that seem to take up time.

Progress!smileys with beer

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
In reply to # 1526751 by TheFlash300
In reply to # 1526745 by TheZster

Z

Just make sure the integrated USB ports supply enough current to power your devices. That integrated USB port could only source 500mA and newer cell phones want 2.4-3 Amps to charge properly.

Oh thanks a lot.... one more thing to measure.... Jeesh!! moody smiley

Doesn't matter... Daughter just came over for our weekly visit... and she is "ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY" sure she want the OE cigarette lighter replaced..... (that I just cut out of the dash.... )

Now I've got buy a new one...and haven't found on from the typical suspects..... AAAAArg.... (don't suggest aftermarket FLAPs - unless the original pull portion works.... (Daughters..... so much more difficult than sons....)

Z

sendingstache Karan B
Los Angeles, CA, USA   USA
I got one from Moss US that doesn't look identical to the original but was close enough that I was happy with it. It was very affordable and as I too don't smoke, my priority was just having it for the sake of originality. It does work fine though, which is nice to know should I ever choose to take up smoking.

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster