TRExp

Spitfire & GT6 Forum

What did you do to your Spitfire or GT6 today?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

wyldman1802 Michel Ouellette
Augusta, Ga., USA   USA
It wont be complete until it has a cup holder or should I say mug holder....

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
christrish Avatar
christrish Gold Member Chris B
Lehi, UT, USA   USA
Posted more pics of my Spitfire parts after they came back from the blaster here: http://73spitfire1500.blogspot.com/2018/03/back-from-blaster.html

Click on the pics in the blog if you want a closer view of each one.

Now I know why the TV shows usually take a care down to bare metal first. Much easier to work with vs. dealing with old paint, etc.

Working to take the "D" out of DPO since 2013
Follow my restoration progress: http://73spitfire1500.blogspot.com

Attachments:
IMG_4472.JPG    31.7 KB
IMG_4472.JPG

IMG_4477.JPG    26.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_4480.JPG    19.8 KB
IMG_4483.JPG    37.2 KB
Efp Avatar
Efp John Walsh
London, UK   GBR
Was that aimed at my welding trolley Michel? If so, hmmm, not a bad idea...

Enhancements continue btw, as pissing rain continues to delay real work and boredom ensues, I have a cunning plan re cable management. Updated photo will be posted in a day or two if it works smiling smiley

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
RochierJ James Rochier
Bellevue, NE, USA   USA
1971 Triumph GT6 MkIII "Gemma"
Got the right pistons, seals, and boots and so was able to get my calipers back together. Also finished cleaning one side of front suspension, ready for paint but still a bit too cool today for that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-12 06:17 PM by RochierJ.

Attachments:
20180312_172803.jpg    30.4 KB
20180312_172803.jpg

Augusta, Ga., USA   USA
In reply to # 1518442 by Efp Was that aimed at my welding trolley Michel? If so, hmmm, not a bad idea...

Enhancements continue btw, as pissing rain continues to delay real work and boredom ensues, I have a cunning plan re cable management. Updated photo will be posted in a day or two if it works smiling smiley
Hey maybe an insulated mug holder?
Its been raining here too, poor little spit looks sad out there. She don't like the rain much.

Hey have any of you guys ever heard of SPI epoxy primer?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-12 07:57 PM by wyldman1802.

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
SAINT LOUIS, MO, USA   USA
1978 Triumph 1500 "BLK-BRY"
No where near as ambitious as most of the posters here..........

All I did today was re-route the gas line (flopping all over the place) with proper clips (after sanding the metal tubing clean of 40 years of crap)....... re-routed the gas tank vent line (also flopping all over the place)...... and added a 14MM spacer between the weber carb and intake manifold (anything to get it away from the heat of the headers)....

Simple chores..... till you go to your local FLAPS..... (checker/advance/etc) - where, when asked for 8mm X 1.25 carb studs - can't get past "what year, what model"...... Jeeeeeesh!!! I said Weber conversion - and she said "What's a Weber?" As is usual - I had to drive another 10 miles to my NAPA parts store - where they actually know what they're doing.....

Z

DerbyRam54 Neville Wardle
Branford, CT, USA   USA
On the fuel line there is one short piece of rubber hose that is easy to overlook. There is a plastic part of the fuel line that exits the boot (trunk) area and is joined to the metal line by a short piece of rubber hose. It's clipped to the chassis just ahead of the rear wheel arch. Over the years it will perish and it's in an awkward place to have to change by the side of the road.
That's on a 1979, I'd imagine yours is the same. I checked mine last September before doing the British Reliability Run, it was a leak waiting to happen.

Attachments:
fuelLine.jpg    41.4 KB
fuelLine.jpg

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
Good to know.... I'll check it out... Thx,

Z

J.P.Rap Avatar
J.P.Rap J.P. Rap
Mount Hope, ON, Canada   CAN
1976 Triumph 1500 "Donna"
2007 Ford Ranger
Picked up some of my parts today. The rest will be in friday. Cleaned a few more parts. Didn't get much work done today at all.

"In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant." Elwood P. Dowd

SpitMan Avatar
SpitMan Silver Member Doug Walls
Brandywine, MD, USA   USA
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Lil' Red Fox"
1998 Chevrolet Corvette "Silver Fox"
2007 Chevrolet Silverado "Workhorse"
2013 Chevrolet Malibu "Pearl Baby"
The carpets that I laid out the other day to get wrinkles out are acclimating well despite the cold weather. Did some trial fitting of carpet to footwell panels. Laid out a few more parts for reassembly when the car painting is done.

It dawned on me that it has been so long that many of the parts have been stored waiting for reassembly that I wonder if I can remember how to put it all together again! LOL! Oh well, it will be fun.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
Took my buddy Will for a spin.

He wants one.

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
New starter arrived yesterday afternoon (ordered Saturday, arrived Tuesday - not bad)..

Went in a whole lot easier than the old one came out..... 20 minutes - and Vroom..... she fired up in the first 2 seconds (which is interesting as I had drained the fuel lines for re-routing, and drained the carb while putting in new spacers).... Hmmmmmmmmm

Z

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
In reply to # 1518937 by TheZster New starter arrived yesterday afternoon (ordered Saturday, arrived Tuesday - not bad)..

Went in a whole lot easier than the old one came out..... 20 minutes - and Vroom..... she fired up in the first 2 seconds (which is interesting as I had drained the fuel lines for re-routing, and drained the carb while putting in new spacers).... Hmmmmmmmmm

Z

That's not unusual even with the stock fuel pump. Mine starts on the quarter turn.

Augusta, Ga., USA   USA
In reply to # 1518436 by christrish Posted more pics of my Spitfire parts after they came back from the blaster here: http://73spitfire1500.blogspot.com/2018/03/back-from-blaster.html

Click on the pics in the blog if you want a closer view of each one.

Now I know why the TV shows usually take a care down to bare metal first. Much easier to work with vs. dealing with old paint, etc.
Its also the only way to guarantee a paint job when you know exactly whats been used and how it was done.
My epoxy comes in three colors (black, gray and red oxide) which is very handy, I lay down two heavy coats of gray and one coat of black then I block off the black and all the dents and flaws (low spots) stand out by staying black. all I have to do is walk around the car and fill all the black dents with filler right over the epoxy. its also a sandable and buildable primer so all you need is one primer from start to finish. I wont use anything else.

cmfisher4 Avatar
cmfisher4 Gold Member Chris Fisher
Mystic, CT, USA   USA
Got half of the rear "underneath" done (before, after and the pile...probably just as much floating in the air...and in my lungs (I did wear a mask)). Lots of old grease thrown off by the differential. Seems to be a light coat of undercoating on everything. Did Triumph do this? It was too well done for it to be the PO, so I assume so.

Cheers,
Chris

I learn something new every day...especially if I am working on my LBC!
Please visit my blog and website at http://www.roundtailrestoration.com

Attachments:
IMG_4041.JPG    46.5 KB
IMG_4041.JPG

IMG_4048.JPG    48.4 KB
IMG_4047.JPG    42.3 KB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1981 Triumph TR7 Drophead

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links