We're back! New secure web server is online   Read More
TRExp

Spitfire & GT6 Forum

What Did You Do To Your Spitfire or GT6 today??

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
Doug, The flash on the lite up the reflector so much, it kind of distorted how bright just the light area was.
I raised the bulb to get it near the lens, setting down in the bottom of the socket gave no side light to speak of. That might be the trouble with the originals.
I'll check on the amber ones later and report back.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
SpitMan Avatar
SpitMan Doug Walls
Brandywine, MD, USA   USA
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "70 Spit"
1998 Chevrolet Corvette "Silver Fox"
2007 Chevrolet Silverado
2013 Chevrolet Malibu "Pearl Baby"
Are you talking about the camera flash lighting it up? If so turn off the flash so you can take a close up. Sounds like a good fun project!

I think I will just use the original bulbs for now since I bought new bulbs over a year ago and change up to LED sometime later. I have all my lights cleaned, gasketed and ready to go when the car is ready!
I don't like double work but that is the way it is sometimes.

Good Luck my Friend,

Doug/SpitMan

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
Yea, like doing the studs. Got to take some stuff apart. Good thing is all of it is clean, just cold tools right now. It will wait on me.
You are right, I nee to turn the flash off and take a few more. When you put the new bulbs in, take note of how far down in the socket they are, that should have been better.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
Did some inside work today and finished up the wiring harness enough to get it off the kitchen floor.
Wife's happy.
Can't really do much with it until the car is painted, so another part on the shelf.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8

Attachments:
CIMG0144.JPG    29.4 KB
CIMG0144.JPG

CIMG0145.JPG    74.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
CIMG0146.JPG    72.3 KB
SpitMan Avatar
SpitMan Doug Walls
2007 Chevrolet Silverado
Wayne,

Simply beautiful fuse panel and wiring! Makes me want to rip mine out and start over...LOL! Are those Molex connectors you are using and are you mounting the fuse block inside the cockpit?

Maybe I should have made mine on the kitchen floor too.smiling bouncing smiley

Regards, Doug/SpitMan

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
Doug it will go were the old one is located, just have to cut the hole a little larger. All the wires will be inside like before and the box has a large rubber gasket on the bottom [;us another around the fuses. A lot more water proof than the original.
Here is plan "A", just extend the hole, which I still have to do. I have to get it out of the garage to keep the dust down on my other cars.
They are not Molex connectors. The are good 1/4 inch slide on standard, but all wires are soldiered on and then shrink wraped to cover the connector and line for a couple of inches.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-14 03:08 PM by trrdster.

Attachments:
CIMG0095.JPG    29.5 KB
CIMG0095.JPG

CIMG0096.JPG    20.8 KB
Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
Took the car out last night with the new tri-bar headlights and saw they were casting really cool beams on the street ahead.

I'll see if I can get a picture tonight.

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
SAINT LOUIS, MO, USA   USA
You guys make me feel like a a total dweeb..... LOL.... What did I do today?

Finished renovating the driver's side window (thanks Dan and Geoff).... Got the new gaskets so installed the driver's door handle and mechanism after rebuilding same... Everything seems to be working just great - smooth - and no "rattles".... Fabricated a new door bracket for the check strap (and don't look forward to putting that stupid clip in place on the A columm....... Ready to put back on blk-bry aka rattles....

I'll drop off the finished door at the upholstery shop - and pick up the passenger door that they've been using for a guide..... I've got them doing birchwood cards.... and a black tuck-n-roll on the door panels.... Eliminating the opening for the door pull and adding a leather "strap type" door pull in it's place.... Can't wait to see it - They specialize in classic car upholstery - and it's gonna be great!!

Starting the new "wood" door top caps (idea from archives here)... and hope to have it all together in time for the St. Louis Classic car show over Easter.....

/z

cmfisher4 Avatar
cmfisher4 Gold Member Chris Fisher
Mystic, CT, USA   USA
Got m butt kicked by my bonnet again, but at least I think I have a path ahead. I believe that it is crooked in its support bars (or whatever they're called) due to an accident or something as one side has lots of clearance between the bulkhead and wheel arch while the other is rubbing (and, looking at the old paint has for a long time) and preventing the whole thing moving back and closing up the huge door to bonnet gap I have on that side.

Here's hoping!!

Chris

I learn something new every day...especially if I am working on my LBC!
Please visit my blog and website at http://www.roundtailrestoration.com

Attachments:
IMG_3955.JPG    35.9 KB
IMG_3955.JPG

IMG_3936.JPG    43.4 KB
IMG_3937.JPG    36.8 KB
Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, WA, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
Chris:
With what looks like a pretty even gap along the top back edge of the bonnet, it suggests the bonnet overall is in the right place. Now that door gap is about 3 or 4 times as wide as it should be. Things are not adding up very well; top of bonnet even, inner fender hits the bulkhead, extra wide gap at the door. I am starting to lean toward maybe some issue with the face of the bulkhead and maybe the A pillar.
Those three things suggest opposite issues.????
Good luck with finding the issue(s).
Dan

SpitMan Avatar
SpitMan Doug Walls
2007 Chevrolet Silverado
Wayne, a tip for you. Temporarily mount the Clutch master cylinder to make sure you can access (open) the fuse cover. My fuse block is smaller than yours and, although I can remove the cover, it is pretty close. I attached a photo showing how close it is. Sorry that I did not have a better shot of it but I think you can see what I am talking about.

Attachments:
1494886046913.jpg    24.3 KB
1494886046913.jpg

jefferygt jeffery Ee
vantucky, WA, USA   USA
Super clean install. Like the fuel pump switch too!
Why didn't you mount the fuses on the interior? Just curious. I plan on installing new wiring as well.
Cheers

In reply to # 1513465 by SpitMan Wayne, a tip for you. Temporarily mount the Clutch master cylinder to make sure you can access (open) the fuse cover. My fuse block is smaller than yours and, although I can remove the cover, it is pretty close. I attached a photo showing how close it is. Sorry that I did not have a better shot of it but I think you can see what I am talking about.

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
Sorry Doug, that's too neat, you have to do that over. LOL
Have a look at the location of the cuts on mine and you can see the edge will be were the old one was.
I can always turn it the other way, as the headlight and column switches all come out in that same area, no matter which way I turn it.
My relays will be in a box near the headlight shelf, (water proof of course). I will use the current light wires to trip the relay and have power running off the battery into the box. I'm using H4's with new ceramic plugs for the bulbs.
I know over kill, Jim made me do it. Just kidding.
No joke, that is a nice job you did, are you going to drive this car, what a beauty.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8

SpitMan Avatar
SpitMan Doug Walls
2007 Chevrolet Silverado
Hi Jeff,

The Megajolt computer and EDIS is mounted under the bulkhead and things get a little tight if I had put the fuse panel inside but that is something others could consider if making up a harness one could put the fuse panel anywhere.

SpitMan Avatar
SpitMan Doug Walls
2007 Chevrolet Silverado
Thanks Wayne, I just got my Historic tags for it but will using 1970 Vintage tags....so, painting of the car is getting closer. Perfect car for going to the Golf Course but where do I put the clubs???

On the relays, yes, I too will have the headlight relay up front. Seems the best way to do it. My relays on the bulkhead are for: Horn, overdrive and future fog lights. Sort of an overkill for all but the Horn.

Watch out Jim can have that effect on you!!! LOL!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-15 11:04 AM by SpitMan.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1969 Triumph GT6 MkII

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links