TRExp

Spitfire & GT6 Forum

What did you do to your Spitfire or GT6 today?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

cmfisher4 Avatar
cmfisher4 Gold Member Chris Fisher
Mystic, CT, USA   USA
Thanks, Dan. Thanks. Dave, that's a good idea.

Chris

I learn something new every day...especially if I am working on my LBC!
Please visit my blog and website at http://www.roundtailrestoration.com

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
cmfisher4 Avatar
Mystic, CT, USA   USA
Got the passenger's side lower rear wing patch installed. Much better job than the driver's side!

Cheers,
Chris

Attachments:
IMG_3863.JPG    45.1 KB
IMG_3863.JPG

JohnW63 John Williamson
Apple Valley, CA, USA   USA
Another weekend, and some progress, for once.

Since the chassis is on a rotisserie and the diff is easy to get to, we decided to order new rubber mounts and bushings. Once removed, we found the bushings in the back were fine, so we left them. We replaced the front mounts, but one of the lower rubber disks was a mess, and we forgot to order those. Luckily, the local hardware store had some the right size, but half as thick, so we bought 2 and stacked them.

We finally got the uprights in the rear properly installed by changing out the bolts that hold them to the lower wishbone arms. Our originals, had some issue where the new trunion sleeves would not slide along the top half of the bolt, near the head, and we spent a LOT of time trying to get things to work, last weekend. This time, we had new bolts and things worked MUCH faster.

After that, I wanted to see if we could connect the new rear axles up, with CV joints, but.... the inner bearing did not fit the axle. I checked it on the old Rotoflex stub axle and it fit fine. So, I need to call Rimmer and see what's up. It was supposed to be a direct fit, but there is way too much slop. Like a 1/4" difference in the diameter of the axle ( 1/32 over 1" ) and the inner surface of the bearing, ( 1-1/4" ). I hope that we just need a different model inner bearing. These axles were not a cheap upgrade, and they should fit like a glove.

My Dad took the front shocks and springs to a friends shop and had them compressed and stuck together. It cost 20 bucks and saved me from buying another spring compressor. Hopefully, I don't need to adjust the Konei shocks up there.

Home of the 1969 GT6+ MK II resurrection project
and a sorry looking 1968 GT6+ parts car trying to stay whole.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Westmoreland, NH, USA   USA
I had no problems installing my CV axle conversion, got them from Rimmers. I used my original bearings and all fit perfectly. I had to adjust the bearing end float but that's the normal procedure anyway.

JohnW63 John Williamson
Apple Valley, CA, USA   USA
I sent them an e-mail last night. We'll see what they say.

Home of the 1969 GT6+ MK II resurrection project
and a sorry looking 1968 GT6+ parts car trying to stay whole.

cmfisher4 Avatar
Mystic, CT, USA   USA
Got a new patch piece fabricated and installed for the front of the rear wing on the passenger's side and got the driver's side one welded in, finally. Another good night.

Cheers,
Chris

Attachments:
IMG_3871.JPG    48.5 KB
IMG_3871.JPG

IMG_3878.JPG    39.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_3877.JPG    42.4 KB
carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
Did you start a build thread someplace? Just so anyone that is looking can find all your trials in one place. Nice job BTW!

In reply to # 1507793 by cmfisher4 Got a new patch piece fabricated and installed for the front of the rear wing on the passenger's side and got the driver's side one welded in, finally. Another good night.

Cheers,
Chris

'S all for now
Vic

cmfisher4 Avatar
Mystic, CT, USA   USA
Vic,
Yup, I have a blog at the site in my signature and I'm also documenting everything on YouTube, which you can get to through my website as well. The videos run about 10-15 mins, on average, and are mainly post-work review shorts vice in-action.

Thanks,
Chris

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
You can always add these to your Journal too.

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
SAINT LOUIS, MO, USA   USA
1978 Triumph 1500 "BLK-BRY"
Spent first half of the day (zero degrees outside) installing shutters on a house.. Brrrrr... spent last half of day tuning my weber after modifying a new vacuum port to relieve crank pressure (it worked!!).... Had a few minutes left over - so put on the original (from a fellow spit fanatic) back on..... I know - some like it - some don't..... I kinda figured my 14 year old needed a modest amount of protection - bumpers are cheap - sheet metal gets spendy...... I know.... stock bumpers provide about as much protection as does Charmin toilet tissue.... but somethin is better than nothin.....

Z

Attachments:
IMG_0300.JPG    40.1 KB
IMG_0300.JPG

IMG_0303.JPG    36.8 KB
IMG_0302.JPG    38.9 KB
planebow Robert Howard
Kalispell, MT, USA   USA
Got my diff back together and started on the transmission. New bushings in the shift shafts.

Attachments:
0116181730.jpg    27.4 KB
0116181730.jpg

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
Worked some on the wiring harness for the Spit6 and thought I would (better) draw out the fuse panel. This is my current plan.
10 circuit fuse panel that fits right were the old was, just cut a bigger hole.
The is plan "A", but open to ideas. I'm still thinking the wiper and heater should have their own circuit, but have to cut more wires, Triumph is so bad about jumping wires from one circuit to another. So any thing that follows will not work if the first one has a issue.
Took a while to figure out how to use print for this, not great but does the job.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-17 12:46 PM by trrdster.

Attachments:
FUSE PANEL FOR SPIT6.jpg    14.9 KB
FUSE PANEL FOR SPIT6.jpg

SpitMan Avatar
SpitMan Doug Walls
Brandywine, MD, USA   USA
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Lil' Red Fox"
1998 Chevrolet Corvette "Silver Fox"
2007 Chevrolet Silverado "Workhorse"
2013 Chevrolet Malibu "Pearl Baby"
Hi Wayne,

I did an eight circuit fuse panel and found that I had to fan out some fuses from one to three (fan out) circuits. 10 will be better but you will probably still fan out some of the circuits. I added circuits for future expansion such as fog lights. Are you running overdrive, if so that may need an additional circuit as is what I did. I chose to run circuits directly to whatever it was I was going to fuse instead of the "daisy chaining" that was done originally. Of course the panel lights and such are still chained. It was interesting that I found one or two Sneak circuits that brought power back to another fuse but I believe that was due to the PO and maybe me years ago splicing to a circuit just to get power to something???

Good luck,,,,,,,,stay warm,

Doug/SpitMan

In reply to # 1508059 by trrdster Worked some on the wiring harness for the Spit6 and thought I would (better) draw out the fuse panel. This is my current plan.
10 circuit fuse panel that fits right were the old was, just cut a bigger hole.
The is plan "A", but open to ideas. I'm still thinking the wiper and heater should have their own circuit, but have to cut more wires, Triumph is so bad about jumping wires from one circuit to another. So any thing that follows will not work if the first one has a issue.
Took a while to figure out how to use print for this, not great but does the job.

scardini1 Avatar
scardini1 Gold Member Jim Moscardini
Great Mills, MD, USA   USA
1968 Triumph GT6 "Rocinante"
2003 Jaguar XKR "Kitty"
That's a nice set up Wayne. She must be coming along if you're playing with the smoke system. Your plan certainly beats the medusa I ended up with after crow-barring a 74 Spit's harness to serve my, ...ummm, .... "unique" applications. Just trying to cut all the stupid "warning" circuitry out was a royal PITA. (and I ended up cutting out one or two wires that I actually needed! - groan).

Should I totally lose my mind (or what's left of my mind) someday, and decide to redo the whole thing correctly, I would definitely try to find a source of OEM-type "striped" wires so I could draw out a good schematic afterwards.

Hi Doug!

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
Doug and Jim, Thanks, No OD so that is not a problem.
Jim, I did remove all the crazy lite circuit wires, did cut one purple that I had to redo.
Now that Doug has given me more work, I better start. We have a fresh 7 inches of snow and as we here in NC don't deal with this, I'm in for the duration.
Jim, I have a couple of harnesses that I'm stealing parts from, so you are welcome to some bits of gold.
I'm adding that Lucas fuel pump I rebuilt. Now I have to cut wires and add for the heater and wiper, THANKS a lot DOUG. Glad the wiper motor is all one line, once I cut the transfer power (or loop) off.
Notice that I did give all the green a switch controlled circuit.

The headlights are H4 with new harness with relays and their own fuses off the battery.
Doing this on the kitchen floor is much better than under the dash, the madam is not a fan.

Again, Thanks guys, Wayne

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster