Leaf Spring Alignment

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Todd NC Todd Gietzen
Colfax, NC, USA   USA
Hi everyone. I recently became the owner of a 1975 Spitfire and this looks like a great forum to learn from and read about other owners experiences. After taking possession of the car I quickly realized that it needed a new leaf spring and purchased one from BP Northwest. I was able to get the spring components reassembled but am having problems getting the holes in the dog house to line up with the mounting holes in the top of the differential. Would this simply be an alignment problem with the dog house relative to the spring? Maybe shifted a little left to right/front to back? I don't know if I'm missing something or if there is a trick to getting it to line back up properly. Sorry for my ignorance, but I am looking forward to learning a lot about this little car.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
Todd, take the though bolt and take a couple of turns off it, now it will be able to move slightly. That should help and just tighten it up when all is aligned. Be sure and use the short end of the stud for the rearend side.
Oh, and Welcome, you are in for a lot of fun and frustration .

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

VtSpit Avatar
VtSpit Mark Mayhew
Rutland, VT, USA   USA
Work on it 5 years and drive it one year then start over! Lol! You will learn about every nut and bolt! Don't get frustrated! I think of my 73 spit as a matchbox toy! Ha

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Todd NC Todd Gietzen
Colfax, NC, USA   USA
Thanks, Wayne. I didn't think of trying that. And thanks also for the tip about which end of the stud to put into the differential. I've read different approaches to that. Funny, I told my son yesterday that I'm resolved to not get frustrated on this. I'll just take my time on whatever task I need to do to the car and learn as I go.

Todd NC Todd Gietzen
Colfax, NC, USA   USA
In reply to # 1540583 by VtSpit Work on it 5 years and drive it one year then start over! Lol! You will learn about every nut and bolt! Don't get frustrated! I think of my 73 spit as a matchbox toy! Ha

Thanks, Mark. I'm hoping for a little better than a 5-1 work-to-drive ratio, but I'll take it as it comes. lol. The guy I bought it from said he knows the car like the back of his hand. I'm beginning to understand how that came to be.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster