TRExp

Spitfire & GT6 Forum

Which Year Spitfire Engine/Transmission Combinations will fit a 1972 Spitfire IV

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

jakejoseph Silver Member Jake J
Richmond, VA, USA   USA
Hello All!

I just bought a 1972 Spitfire. Only owned by two people since new, and garaged for the last 30 years. It has a little rust, and the brakes are a mess and it has 100810 miles on the clock.

I'm testing the compression this weekend, but don't expect miracles. I anticipate a rebuild, but I would like to drive it and rebuild another engine. I am not interested in a engine swap, such as putting a Renault Twingo engine coupled with a Ducati Monster transmission....spinning smiley sticking its tongue out I'd just like to put another Spitfire engine in. I know that there have been a lot of articles about engine swaps, but I can't find a forum post that shows which year Triumph engines will fit which Spitfire. Looking at the motor mounts and such, it seems like just about any engine/transmission will fit any year. But I need a seasoned Triumph person to confirm or deny.

Thanks so much for your help.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
2manyspits Avatar
2manyspits Thomas Schlundt
south bend, IN, USA   USA
ANY ENGINE AND TRANS WILL FIT

jakejoseph Silver Member Jake J
Richmond, VA, USA   USA
Neat! Thanks!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
brucejon Avatar
brucejon Gold Member Bruce Jones
Santa Cruz, CA, USA   USA
1960 Triumph TR3A
1963 Triumph TR3B "Tupperware TR3"
1969 Triumph Spitfire MkIII
1972 Triumph TR6
Take the time to consider what you want. For example personally I would first want a small journal 1296, then a 1500. EU setup for either. I would want a single rail J style overdrive gearbox. Oh! Wait! That is the setup I have (1296)

I had a 1500 EU setup in it and had the 1296 rebuilt while I drove it with the 1500.

Look at the telergizer site for the advantages of each.

60 TR3A (red), 62 TR3B project, 72 TR6, 69 Mk3 Spitfire EU setup
https://spitfiremk3.wordpress.com

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
In reply to # 1538677 by 2manyspits ANY ENGINE AND TRANS WILL FIT

Jake,
Thomas is right, but it is simpler to do if the engine and gearbox are from the same year Spitfire. Or at least not too far apart. Mixing and matching doesn't go as smoothly. Things would go easier in your case with a 1971 or later drive train.
All the best,
Paul

GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
Midget 1500 motors and trans will work also; not the 1275s though (notice I didn't say 1296)

keith54 Keith States
Huntsville, USA   USA
Early gearboxes (those with non-sycro first gear) will have a smaller companion flange and won't fit up to your drive shaft.

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, FL, USA   USA
In reply to # 1540226 by keith54 Early gearboxes (those with non-sycro first gear) will have a smaller companion flange and won't fit up to your drive shaft.

True, but since the UJ themselves are the same size for all years, it requires only an early UJ flange to remedy, not a whole driveshaft.

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
Is your transmission good? Do you plan on keeping it?

If so, I would specify what engine you plan/would like to use and we would suggest what you need to do to make it work.

If you plan to change the tranny also, it is easier to fit as a pair.

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
In reply to # 1540226 by keith54 Early gearboxes (those with non-sycro first gear) will have a smaller companion flange and won't fit up to your drive shaft.

Kieth,
That is the main thing I had in mind when I posted the suggestion of sticking with 71 and later in post #5 of this thread.
All the best,
Paul

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
Is your transmission good? Do you plan on keeping it?

If so, I would specify what engine you plan/would like to use and we would suggest what you need to do to make it work.

If you plan to change the tranny also, it is easier to fit as a pair.

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
Jake,the later single rail transmission will reuire a different drive shaft. They are a different length.
Just so happens a friend is getting rid of the whole Spitfire drive train on it's frame with brakes and good tires.
I'll see what he wants if you are interested. It all ran when we just used the body for his CGT6.
A little road trip, did it a few years ago and it was a little over 500 miles round trip.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

teeka56 Avatar
teeka56 mike leisner
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
500 round trip? Sounds like a good deal. I drove 1000 in a day to get a small journal crank motor. That is mated to a late J type OD, in a ‘72 frame. It all fits.

Mike

keith54 Keith States
Huntsville, USA   USA
Paul,
Carter is correct in that the U-joints are the same so an early U-joint flange would mate the early gearbox to your Mark IV.

Keith

2manyspits Avatar
2manyspits Thomas Schlundt
south bend, IN, USA   USA
if your doing a swap this is the way to go. Small j motor will give you years of pleasure.

In reply to # 1540315 by teeka56 500 round trip? Sounds like a good deal. I drove 1000 in a day to get a small journal crank motor. That is mated to a late J type OD, in a ‘72 frame. It all fits.

Mike

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1958 Triumph TR3A

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links