AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Pertronix smoke.....
  This topic is about my 1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500
Seanolio Avatar
Seanolio Silver Member Sean McKenna
KAMLOOPS, BC, Canada   CAN
I'm hiding from the garage so I don't kill anyone.
I decided to install my Pertronix Ignitor kit to my distributor in the 73 Spit.
This should be simple. I did it to a V8 in '76 and picked up 500rpm.... and it took 5 minutes...
I remove the points and condenser and the single wire that connected to the + of the Pertronix coil.
I see a black wire that was connected to the condenser bracket... now loose and not mentioned in the instructions. I attached it back to the same point in the dist after installing the Pertronix pick-up. I slid the collar down on the post and there was a gap between the rotor and collar so I put in the spacer.... only the rotor was too high for the cap so I removed the spacer, settled the cap and latched it. The positive wire from the pick-up went to the + on the coil... the black to the -.
Wondering about the little black wire in the dist and the wire from the pick-up now going to the - on the coil... which wasn't there before.... I pulled the choke and turned the key.
Usually fires immediately.
It turns wonderfully but doesn't fire.... I tried a couple of short attempts.. playing with the choke in case the leaky pump had it dry... nothing.
I climb out to acrid smell.. pull the cap to smoke curling out from under the dist plate.....
I'm starting to shake again so better stop and wait for help..... HELP.
Sean

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
The only wires that should come out of the distributor with a Pertronics is the black and red that go to the coil. The condenser and all the related parts come out.

'S all for now
Vic

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
SAINT LOUIS, MO, USA   USA
1978 Triumph 1500 "BLK-BRY"
I hope not... but I think you might have just shorted out your new system (acrid smoke and electronics are not a good sign......... Red - positive..... black - negative.... everything else goes away.....

Z

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
In reply to # 1537945 by Seanolio I'm hiding from the garage so I don't kill anyone.

I thought it was illegal in Canada to have too many bad moods.

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
In reply to # 1537996 by Doug in Vegas
In reply to # 1537945 by Seanolio I'm hiding from the garage so I don't kill anyone.

I thought it was illegal in Canada to have too many bad moods.

You misunderstood..... It's illegal in Canada to have too many bad moose.....

Z

Growe58 Avatar
Growe58 Greg Rowe
Hatfield, PA, USA   USA
I'm wondering about your fourth sentence "I remove ...the single wire that connected to the + of the Pertronix coil." Are you saying that there was a wire going from the dizzy to the + terminal on the coil before you started? As unlikely as it seems, is there any chance that somewhere for some unknown reason converted you to positive ground at some point?

The bad news is that even if the unit now works, i would be very concerned about its long term reliability after the heavy smoke. Sorry, not sure you did anything wrong, maybe just a bum unit?

ras111 Avatar
ras111 Gold Member Richard Singerman
Dollard des Ormeaux, QC, Canada   CAN
Sean, the first time I installed it, I screwed it up - same thing - that smell is burning plastic. Look at the the pick up coil - it will likely have a black, burnt spot on it. It is now toast - you will need another. But before installing make sure nothing is shorting and that the wires are hooked up correctly or you will burn it out again. As Vic pointed out, there are only the two wires from the distributor.

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
In reply to # 1538000 by Growe58 I'm wondering about your fourth sentence "I remove ...the single wire that connected to the + of the Pertronix coil." Are you saying that there was a wire going from the dizzy to the + terminal on the coil before you started? As unlikely as it seems, is there any chance that somewhere for some unknown reason converted you to positive ground at some point?

The bad news is that even if the unit now works, i would be very concerned about its long term reliability after the heavy smoke. Sorry, not sure you did anything wrong, maybe just a bum unit?

The verbiage is a tad vague.... but I'm thinking he grounded the unit out.... with a positive wire posted to negative.... can't tell for sure...... but symptoms would be similar...

Can't imagine a bum unit..... would fry like that..... not work - yes..... burn..... no..

Z

ras111 Avatar
ras111 Gold Member Richard Singerman
Dollard des Ormeaux, QC, Canada   CAN
Unfortunately these units do burn if shorted - and my personal experience is they burn fast. I had some wiring issues and actually burnt two of these things. It really doesn't take much to fry them. Very easy to spot the black burn mark....and that smell is very distinct......................a costly mistake to make as these things are not cheap.....

Seanolio Avatar
Yup that's what happened... the pickup is cooked. My error was leaving a ground wire that was connected to the side of the dist and originally the condenser.... so it shorted.
My buddy Vic called and we walked through everything.
Thanks for all the replies.
Cheers
PS up here we smoke moose.... really hard to keep lit tho....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-04 12:41 PM by Seanolio.

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, FL, USA   USA
In reply to # 1538140 by Seanolio Yup that's what happened... the pickup is cooked. My error was leaving a ground wire that was connected to the side of the dist and originally the condenser.... so it shorted.
My buddy Vic called and we walked through everything.
Thanks for all the replies.
Cheers
PS up here we smoke moose.... really hard to keep lit tho....

Depends on how tightly you roll it ...

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
Mmmmm! Moose jerky!

'S all for now
Vic

SpiTazz72 Avatar
SpiTazz72 Bryan H
Magnolia, TX, USA   USA
I've read through this several times and I'm still not convinced the problem will be resolved. I have the Pertronix Ignitor II 91149 fitted to a Delco D200 distributor and the installation was pretty straight forward. Remove the points and condenser, slide on the Pertronix parts and connect the red and black wires to the proper poles on the coil.

I do have a black wire which grounds the base points plate to the distributor wall and did not remove it because it's not mentioned in the instructions.

So my concerns with yours are: Did the red or black wire get pinched or cut so it will short out somewhere? Do you have matching recommended voltages for the Pertronix unit and the coil? Some coils are 12v and some are 6v and some units may be designed for a positive ground or negative ground car. Did you order the proper one?

I'd hate to see an expensive instant replay.

Pic of my installation:

Attachments:
72tr105.JPG    45.5 KB
72tr105.JPG

Seanolio Avatar
I owe you.
I believed it was that one ground wire in the dizzy that smoked it.
You made me look past the end of my nose..... you see I have this rubber boot over the end of the coil... covering the POLARITY SYMBOLS!
When I connected the leads from the pickup I ASSUMED the original wire from the points went to the + so I connected the red lead in it's place.
After pulling the boot, that's the Negative side.
Boom.
Thank you for being persistent.
Cheers!
Sean

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-13 08:37 PM by Seanolio.

SpiTazz72 Avatar
SpiTazz72 Bryan H
Magnolia, TX, USA   USA
Glad it worked out for you, you should be pleased with the performance. Most electronics today don't even give you the benefit of a puff of smoke when they quit, not that it makes anyone feel better but it does make troubleshooting slightly easier.
Cheers!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster