AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Gauge suggestions
  This topic is about my 1979 Triumph 1500
srhooey Avatar
srhooey Steve Hooey
Mississauga, ON, Canada   CAN
1979 Triumph 1500 "Sally"
I'm working on my dash right now and have it apart. As you can see there are lots of gauges. Currently there is clock, fuel, temp, vacumn, oil pressure, Speedo, tach, volts and amps.

The ammeter was never connected by the PO, and reading about how to wire it gives me concern. I guess the PO had the same thoughts. I'm thinking of replacing it with some other type of gauge, but I think I already have them all. (Or do I?)

Suggestions?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_20150513_200818.jpg    48.5 KB
IMG_20150513_200818.jpg

Voda2000 Avatar
Voda2000 Andrew McMillan
Winnipeg, MB, Canada   CAN
Oil temp?

1978 Triumph Spitfire

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
I always thought an Amps meter a bit of a libility. Oil temp can be useful.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
PNWfrank Avatar
PNWfrank Frank D
Edmonds, WA, USA   USA
You could use a shunted ammeter to avoid the high current flow through the gauge it self.

Wolfcreek Steve Steve P
Central, WI, USA   USA
Trans temp, differential temp, idiot light group from a Stag, outside thermometer

Attachments:
stag idiot light.jpg    25.8 KB
stag idiot light.jpg

Dickie B Avatar
Dickie B Dickie Brewer
Clover, SC, USA   USA
1973 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Rose"
1982 Chevrolet Corvette "Buddy"
1991 BMW 850i "Rocket"
2005 Nissan Frontier V6 "NIZMO"
Honestly, do you actually NEED that many gauges?
IMHO it looks REALLY busy.
All you need is speedo, tach, fuel, oil pressure, water temp, and volts (or ammeter, which I use).
Not sure why you even need a vacuum gauge. Or a clock for that matter.
I like the look of the wood better.
If you do need them all, it could be cleaned up alot by using the over/under gauges offered by the usuals.

Attachments:
100_2092.JPG    46.4 KB
100_2092.JPG

100_2089.JPG    48.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
sparrowpi Avatar
sparrowpi David Sherrow
Colorado Springs, CO, USA   USA
Have to agree with DickeB, keep it simple. These are basic automobiles, not the Space Shuttle.

Just because we can, does not mean we should.

Attachments:
IMG_20170604_083817616_HDR.jpg    30.7 KB
IMG_20170604_083817616_HDR.jpg

Dickie B Avatar
Dickie B Dickie Brewer
Clover, SC, USA   USA
1973 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Rose"
1982 Chevrolet Corvette "Buddy"
1991 BMW 850i "Rocket"
2005 Nissan Frontier V6 "NIZMO"
Couldn't have said it better David.

tmpass Avatar
tmpass Tim P
Medway, MA, USA   USA
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "Capo"
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "Blue Oxide"
In reply to # 1533724 by Dickie B Honestly, do you actually NEED that many gauges?
IMHO it looks REALLY busy.
All you need is speedo, tach, fuel, oil pressure, water temp, and volts (or ammeter, which I use).
Not sure why you even need a vacuum gauge. Or a clock for that matter.
I like the look of the wood better.
If you do need them all, it could be cleaned up alot by using the over/under gauges offered by the usuals.

Whats with all the chrome on yours? Too much bling IMHO, i like the matte black look myself. Vacuum gauges are good for getting max MPG, a clock because, well, clocks are cool.

What he's saying is he's already got them all from the P.O., he's asking what to replace the ammeter with since its not hooked up..... I say put an oil temp.

Manana Avatar
Manana Steve Wten
Thornhill, ON, Canada   CAN
Tim, Dickie did what many of us did when we cleaned up our gauges, wiped off the scratched up black paint. In fairness, that image makes it pop more than it does in person. Some have repainted and it does look really good.

As for clocks being "cool"..... personally I'd say they are the exact opposite; they are often useless and accomplish exactly what the owner intended - to make it look like he wanted a busier dash. (of course the exceptions being a 1/4 mile or rally clock)

Vacuum gauge? I can see a boost gauge if you were turbo'd or blown, but a vacuum gauge; extraneous stuff to make it look busy.

I understand the desire for aesthetics, much of what we do to our cars is for that very reason, however, when it gets to adding stuff like a second radio antennae (as another example I've seen) it can get a little silly.

You are correct about what the OP requested and I think your suggestion is a good one, but some of us can get a little enthusiastic. smiling smiley Dashes are relatively easy to modify, so perhaps a discussion like this will get the juices flowing. (or a discussion like this....https://www.triumphexp.com/phorum/read.php?8,1250080 smiling smiley )

I'm with Dickie, 4 gauges, maybe boost if applicable. If you just want something to fill the hole, then I also think oil temp.

Your car, your decision.
(I'm sure guys will hate what I'm doing to mine when I finally get to it)

Steve
http://stevew10.wix.com/spit16

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
SAINT LOUIS, MO, USA   USA
1978 Triumph 1500 "BLK-BRY"
In reply to # 1533751 by Manana (I'm sure guys will hate what I'm doing to mine when I finally get to it)

Still waiting for your gauges, huh? That's my dilemma right now... Speedhut is really backed up....

Z

Manana Avatar
Manana Steve Wten
Thornhill, ON, Canada   CAN
No, embarrassingly, I've had mine for over a year. sad smiley

The home renos hit and my plans for the Spit rear suspension will also trump the dash. A few other mods too, then I'll make it pretty. Runs great so at least I still drive it.

Steve
http://stevew10.wix.com/spit16

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
SAINT LOUIS, MO, USA   USA
1978 Triumph 1500 "BLK-BRY"
In reply to # 1533782 by Manana No, embarrassingly, I've had mine for over a year. sad smiley

The home renos hit and my plans for the Spit rear suspension will also trump the dash. A few other mods too, then I'll make it pretty. Runs great so at least I still drive it.

Shame on YOU!! LOL..... Though it's about time I can beat someone else to the punch,..... anticipating my gauges - then new dash install in another couple of weeks..... I'll post - and make you jealous....spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Performance over "pretty"?? I'm sorry - it's not how good you are... it's how you look!!! and Baby I'll look mahvelous......smileys with beer

Z

SpitnSawdust Avatar
SpitnSawdust Richard Simpson
Lewes, east sussex, UK   GBR
1969 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Little Blue"
I like lots of dials and switches. Captain Nemo meets the TARDIS.
Shunted ammeter would be easiest. Oil temp maybe more useful.
Personally I think a permanently mounted vacuum gauge is quite useful on an old motor...stone age engine warning light.

bikeboy Avatar
bikeboy Silver Member Ian F
Lara, Victoria, Australia   AUS
Can i suggest whatever you get, make sure the needles point in the same direction? ie either pivot at top or pivot at bottom, but mixing them up looks messy imo

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster