AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

triumphanttriumph Avatar
Newfield, NY, USA   USA
1967 Triumph Spitfire MkII
1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "The Sardine Can"
thanks in advance for any insight...
I thought my water pump was failing due to bearing noise, I ordered a new one and mistakenly bought an earlier model pump. After researching, I have found that I have a viscous clutch style and it might be that bearing failing and not the water pump itself. I have read further that this clutch does not function all that well to begin with and are costly to replace. My questions are: What else do I need beside an older model fan to put on my new older model water pump. And, are there any significant disadvantages or advantages to putting a bolt on fixed fan and water pump om my 1976 1500?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
triumphanttriumph Avatar
Newfield, NY, USA   USA
I believe I will try to go the route of installing the earlier pump and fixed fan. Does anybody know of a source of a not too costly fixed fan? or any used ones that are salvageable for sale out there? Thanks.

Bobs78Spit Avatar
Bobs78Spit Silver Member Bob Berger
St. Louis, MO, USA   USA
The viscous coupling on the newer fan is there so that once you rev up the motor the fan will only spin so fast. If you are going to put a the fixed fan water pump on then you will need a fixed fan and you may need a new fan belt depending on the size of the pully on the water pump. When I purchased my spitfire it came with a metal fixed blade fan on the water pump. I dont put enough miles on my car so I replaced it with the viscous style pump and fan for origionality.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
axleworks Platinum Member scott howell
n.c., USA   USA
PM sent.
Thanks

ras111 Avatar
ras111 Gold Member Richard Singerman
Dollard des Ormeaux, QC, Canada   CAN
I just installed the older style water pump on my '76 as I installed electric fans on the rad and there was literally zero clearance to where the fan clutch center spindle stuck out. The older water pump uses the same gasket - exact fit, and sticks out a little less. You will need a slightly longer fan belt as the pulley is larger than the pulley you are replacing. I ended up getting a GFB11125 belt (fits a Healey) - fits perfectly now. As for a fixed fan, I suspect you can get a used one for not much money, or opt to move to an electric fan. They are not expensive and easy to install.

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
SAINT LOUIS, MO, USA   USA
1978 Triumph 1500 "BLK-BRY"
My 78 has the "viscous coupling"..... but at some point in it's life - a small bolt got stuck between the fan and the clutch..... So it doesn't work as intended..... but it does work as if it were a fixed fan......

I haven't bothered to take it apart and remove the offending bolt......

Z

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
IMO an electric fan is the way to go. The fan works when you need it, and not (at speed) when you don't need it.

Just about evey car for the last 30-40 years has a good quality electric fan, you just need to find one that will work for you.

jmac Avatar
jmac Silver Member Jere McSparran
Greenup, IL, USA   USA
1970 MG Midget "Joy Ride"
1978 MG Midget "Therapy"
1978 MG Midget "(SOLD)"
There is a University Motors video out there by John Twist that shows you how to immobilize your fan clutch using 2 hose clamps. It is a very cost effective fix. I've had it on my Midget 1500 for a couple of years now; it works.

JMac
JMacEngineShop.Weebly.com

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
In reply to # 1533752 by jmac There is a University Motors video out there by John Twist that shows you how to immobilize your fan clutch using 2 hose clamps. It is a very cost effective fix. I've had it on my Midget 1500 for a couple of years now; it works.

ROFLOL....... a 6 cent bolt stuck in the fan/clutch area immobilized mine.....for Gawd knows how long.......

Z

triumphanttriumph Avatar
Newfield, NY, USA   USA
Thank you all for the feedback. I have sourced a new fan clutch and will be going back with the setup I have been please with for many years. hopeful it will continue to work. Add me to the sub forum of viscous fan clutch retainers!

triumphanttriumph Avatar
Newfield, NY, USA   USA
On that note, besides the fan clutch and possibly new water pump, what else might I need to complete this? in addition to the proper slip or crush ring....? sources of this? any feedback still greatly appreciated! Thanks.

triumphanttriumph Avatar
Newfield, NY, USA   USA
All necessary replacement parts for my course of action are on order. Could this issue be causing or related to my bouncy tachometer in conjunction with fuel starvation, backfire and occasional stall? I thought it to be a fuel issue and changed the filter, problem stopped for a brief time and is now reoccurring. I have changed the filter again which seems to help. I blew some large chunks of debris out of the old filter with my compressor so I peered into the tank which looks sooty. I plan to flush or replace tank but want to see where else I might look for the source of the problem if it is not my failing pump and fan...which I read might cause this issue? The distributor seems in place, I will check out the Webber carb later and also the ignition switch once I figure out how to do so. Thanks for any help. Looking forward to cruising after hopefully a brief downtime!

jmac Avatar
jmac Silver Member Jere McSparran
Greenup, IL, USA   USA
1970 MG Midget "Joy Ride"
1978 MG Midget "Therapy"
1978 MG Midget "(SOLD)"
I don't know of any relationship between cooling system and ignition system or fuel except that it will help increase fuel mileage, which is a good thing.

The fan clutch seems to be a reoccurring problem for me. I've had to change it every 2 or 3 years so I made mine fixed. But that may not be a problem that others have seen, so I don't want to give the clutch a bad rap. I will say that it saves fuel.

JMac
JMacEngineShop.Weebly.com

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
In reply to # 1533801 by triumphanttriumph All necessary replacement parts for my course of action are on order. Could this issue be causing or related to my bouncy tachometer in conjunction with fuel starvation, backfire and occasional stall? I thought it to be a fuel issue and changed the filter, problem stopped for a brief time and is now reoccurring. I have changed the filter again which seems to help.

A. NO

B... sounds like a clue to me..

Z

triumphanttriumph Avatar
Newfield, NY, USA   USA
Thanks for the responses. I have found my carb to be dirty and filter gummed up. I will clean both up and check proper operation. I will also work on flushing my gas tank of accumulated crud to see if these clear up my issues.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1965 Triumph Herald 1200

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links