AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
SAINT LOUIS, MO, USA   USA
1978 Triumph 1500 "BLK-BRY"
I've been through the archives thoroughly.... regarding finishing out my exhaust system..... Added 4/2/1 SS headers... (pretty - though most of them are covered in heat wrap)....

I Cobbled together the original exhaust to the headers for now... just to get me down the road..... Met with my muffler shop (custom shops are hard to find these days)..... and we worked out a system of sorts...... I do want dual exhaust....just for looks.... after measuring - we came to the conclusion that nothing bigger than 9 inches wide will reasonably fit...(2 of them)....

I found dynomax turbo mufflers that fit the specifications... (4" deep, 7 " wide, 14" long)..at what I consider a reasonable cost ($70/each).... Shop will do the cutting/bending/welding.... to make them work.

Before I pull the trigger... I thought I would solicit any pertinent opinions from the group.....

Z

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
lef2wander Avatar
lef2wander Gold Member James Thomas
Hatfield, MA, USA   USA
I have 2 of those mounted. It's a tight fit but it does fit.

You have mount them as far back as you can or they will knock on the frame towards the diff. Mine are about 3" apart, if the splitter tubes where say 1" closer to each other, the knocking would be less of a concern.
They do sound really nice. Bass sounding.
Sorry no pics.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-16 11:28 AM by lef2wander.

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
In reply to # 1533556 by lef2wander I have 2 of those mounted. It's a tight fit but it does fit.

You have mount them as far back as you can or they will knock on the frame towards the diff. Mine are about 3" apart, if the splitter tubes where say 1" closer to each other, the knocking would be less of a concern.

Sorry no pics.

LOL... so is that a positive review or a negative....?? confused smiley
Z

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
dherr2 Avatar
dherr2 David Herr
Adamstown, MD, USA   USA
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Rat Rod"
Not sure what your total budget is, but the stainless steel sports exhaust sold by Spitbits is quite nice. Fully stainless, runs from your downpipe to a "Y" at the differential and terminates with two large diameter exhaust pipe finishers under the bumper. Spitbits sport exhaust

At $395, it might be less money than paying a shop to build one from scratch and look and fit better?

I am mounting one on my project and really like the look.

ras111 Avatar
ras111 Gold Member Richard Singerman
Dollard des Ormeaux, QC, Canada   CAN
I added those same mufflers a few years back. The shop custom fit them to a single pipe at an angle. Tips were then added so that the come out flush with the back end. Very happy with them - much more enjoyable drive (had the VERY LOUD Monza free flow exhaust system prior) and a nice low rumble.......... ENJOY!

Attachments:
IMG00079-20120623-1116.jpg    53.6 KB
IMG00079-20120623-1116.jpg

Spitfirejoe Avatar
Spitfirejoe Joe Guinan
Fremont, NE, USA   USA
1980 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "The Phoenix"
I hope your 3-2-1 SS header fits over the tubes in your intake manifold for the Dellorto/Weber carbs. I bought one, and it didn't fit. I have photos at home to show how it interferes. I ended up just using the old Pacesetter 4 to 1 header I had been using.

Edit - got home, found photo. You can see from the side view that the Bell stainless headers stick out from the block far enough that the intake manifold can't be brought flush with the block. A friend used a different model of stainless steel header, and we only had to put a "dimple" in one of the header tubes to get enough clearance. I don't remember where he got his header, and I think I got mine from Nigel at SpitBits. Second photo shows the part number of my header.

Joe Guinan
Fremont, Nebraska

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-17 08:06 AM by Spitfirejoe.

Attachments:
Int-Exh Prob01.JPG    50.8 KB
Int-Exh Prob01.JPG

Bell SS Header 01.JPG    38.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
lef2wander Avatar
lef2wander Gold Member James Thomas
Hatfield, MA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1533559 by TheZster
In reply to # 1533556 by lef2wander I have 2 of those mounted. It's a tight fit but it does fit.

Sorry no pics.

LOL... so is that a positive review or a negative....?? confused smiley
Z
A positive review!! Sounds great.

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
In reply to # 1533675 by Spitfirejoe I hope your 3-2-1 SS header fits over the tubes in your intake manifold for the Dellorto/Weber carbs. I bought one, and it didn't fit. I have photos at home to show how it interferes. I ended up just using the old Pacesetter 4 to 1 header I had been using.

Edit - got home, found photo. You can see from the side view that the Bell stainless headers stick out from the block far enough that the intake manifold can't be brought flush with the block. A friend used a different model of stainless steel header, and we only had to put a "dimple" in one of the header tubes to get enough clearance. I don't remember where he got his header, and I think I got mine from Nigel at SpitBits. Second photo shows the part number of my header.

Thx joe:

I had the same clearance issue with my current DGV intake manifold.... and ended up having to do some "creative" heating/hammering of the number 1 exhaust pipe.... Turned out just fine.... I'm hopeful the new side draft manifold will work also...... We will see..... cause I don't want 4:1 headers...

Your photo seems to reflect the same "tight area" that my swan neck encountered.....

Based on responses... I just ordered two turbo model 17777.. smallest they make.... but I figure with two cylinders per muffler... should be way more than adequate.....

thanks to all.... I'll update when installed....

z

Z

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-17 09:22 AM by TheZster.

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
Twin tips are cool with the bimmer crowd, you should search what Andy Martin did for his. That's the best set up.

'S all for now
Vic

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster