What is a "Late" model Spitfire 1500?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Taco Richard Dalrymple
Hope Mills, NC, USA   USA
I often hear the term "late model 1500" but don't know what specifically distinguishes one. For example, is a 75' Spitfire an early or late model? Is there a definite year delineation that separate early from late? I ask this because the distinction often arises when discussing specific production and part manufacture. Thanks, Taco

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
SAINT LOUIS, MO, USA   USA
1978 Triumph 1500 "BLK-BRY"
In reply to # 1533545 by Taco I often hear the term "late model 1500" but don't know what specifically distinguishes one. For example, is a 75' Spitfire an early or late model? Is there a definite year delineation that separate early from late? I ask this because the distinction often arises when discussing specific production and part manufacture. Thanks, Taco

Seems a lot depends on what part you're looking for...... "late model" distributors differ from "early model" distributors..... as do "late model emissions" from "early model emissions"... I think it's more of a term to define "when a system changed".... or a "reasonably major part" changed...... Not a generic term to be used from model year to model year.... Late/early model electronics will differ from late/early hardware.....

Z

ExPatBrit Avatar
ExPatBrit Mike W
Redmond, WA, USA   USA
Last two years.

TR7/8 parts bin , steering wheel + switch-gear, rubber bumpers, slanted radiator electric fan.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Outfect Avatar
Outfect Dave B
La Sal, UT, USA   USA
1940 Ford N Series Tractors "Henry"
1951 Other Not Listed "SnowMan"
1979 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "White October"
1980 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Tangerine Dream"
Taco,

It could mean many things but to me it means the rubber bumper
cars that started rolling out in the fall of 1978 until the end of production in
late 1980. That was the last overhaul of note.

Since the Spitfire was produced from 1963 until 1980 it could
mean almost anything depending on your point of view.

DaveInUtah

Taco Richard Dalrymple
In reply to # 1533565 by ExPatBrit Last two years.

TR7/8 parts bin , steering wheel + switch-gear, rubber bumpers, slanted radiator electric fan.

"Seems alot on what part your looking for.."

Both answers sound reasonable, considering the era they were manufactured in.
My current specific question gravitates around identifying differential manufacture dates. Is there a way to identify a "late model" 1500 differential from a casing's serial number or is surgery required? I know the prefix distinctions but would like to know if "FH- xxxxx will point to a given year.

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
SAINT LOUIS, MO, USA   USA
1978 Triumph 1500 "BLK-BRY"
In reply to # 1533569 by Taco

My current specific question gravitates around identifying differential manufacture dates. Is there a way to identify a "late model" 1500 differential from a casing's serial number or is surgery required? I know the prefix distinctions but would like to know if "FH- xxxxx will point to a given year.

I've done only limited research on my manufacture date/serial numbers.... It's out there... somewhere.... But - ask your specific question on this forum..... I'll bet you anything you get a good response on pretty much what you've got (I say "pretty much" as who knows what's happened to your vehicle in the last 40 years or so)..... Between your VIN, your block number, we can (hopefully) figure out what you "should have" for a rear end..... (unless someone - sometime - changed it all.... (or put in a Volvo differential... LOL)

Z

billspit Bill Kea
Moore, Spartanburg, SC, USA   USA
I would say late model would be the 79-80 models with the rubber bumpers.

Taco Richard Dalrymple
In reply to # 1533574 by TheZster

...I've done only limited research on my manufacture date/serial numbers.... It's out there... somewhere.... But.... Between your VIN, your block number, we can (hopefully) figure out what you "should have" for a rear end..... (unless someone - sometime - changed it all.... (or put in a Volvo differential... LOL)
Z
[/quote]

You got me...lol.
I do believe I found my answer studying parts offerings by different online retailers. Frankensteining and deciding which part is needed but unobtainable and which part nobody needs and probably on Ebay. The search continues..

TheFlash300 Avatar
TheFlash300 Dave Gutknecht
Rochester Hills, MI, USA   USA
1979 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Lil Spit"
For the Differential:
Early is until FH106100
Late is after FH106101
https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID005732

In reply to # 1533569 by Taco

grumpicus Steve Jackson
Leicester, Leicestershire, UK   GBR
The FH106100 ident relates only to the number stamped on the front casting of the differential unit, not the car's commission number.

My best guess as to what would be classed as a 'late' 1500 would be those fitted with the TR7 style switchgear, later (smaller diameter) steering wheel, maybe the gearbox with the stronger teeth on the reverse gears - but it's all a bit subjective. I can't comment on the various rubber bumpers, never having seen one in the UK!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1964 Triumph Spitfire 4 MkI

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links