AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

spurs1canada Avatar
spurs1canada Silver Member Barry Hotspur
Winnipeg, MB, Canada   CAN
1972 Triumph GT6 MkIII "Mellow Yellow"
1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Li'l Red"
Hi,
So 1500 is ready to give it a go starting up,I turned the engine over with coil disconnected and after a few trys got oil pressure with no unusual noises.
Fuel is not coming up though as nothing in filter,could I have done anything wrong putting pump in or do I now need a different pump because of 1300 cam?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-15 01:41 PM by spurs1canada.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, FL, USA   USA
Same fuel pump that was previously working?
Pull off and block the pump inlet hose.
Replace it with a short piece of clear tubing, with the end submerged in a small container of gasoline sitting on the ground.
Crank the motor (with coil PRIMARY wire disconnected, to avoid making sparks).
Do you see fuel creeping up the clear hose from the container?
If not, the pump isn't pumping.
Troubleshoot from there.

spurs1canada Avatar
Yes working pump end of last season.
If I remove the fuel line from tank to filter and put gas in there would it prime the system.
I don't want to take the pump off unless I have to as I don't have a spare gasket,would probably take two weeks to get one.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
mkivmarty Avatar
mkivmarty Marty Yanik
N.E.Ohio, USA   USA
Does your pump have a priming lever?

Marty

spurs1canada Avatar
Unfortunately not,my GT did and very handy.

Voda2000 Avatar
Voda2000 Andrew McMillan
Did you get fuel out of the inlet line when it’s disconnected?

The tank is higher so it should come out there unless you have a blockage in the line or tank.

Also make sure the inlet hose to the pump is tight. My brother had a terrible time getting his new truck motor started until he realized it was sucking a small amoun of air in the line and the pump wouldn’t prime.

1978 Triumph Spitfire

Vegaman Dan Avatar
Vegaman Dan Dan Canaan
Pacific, WA, USA   USA
1968 Triumph Spitfire "Giles"
Fuel filter plumbed in backwards? Some have check valves and an arrow showing correct flow. It's really easy to hook some of them up backwards and not notice it.

clshore Carter Shore
In reply to # 1533313 by Voda2000 Did you get fuel out of the inlet line when it’s disconnected?

The tank is higher so it should come out there unless you have a blockage in the line or tank.

Squaretails feed fuel from the top, not the bottom:

https://www.canleyclassics.com/triumph-spitfire-mkiv/1500-petrol-tank-usa-only
https://www.canleyclassics.com/triumph-spitfire-mkiv/1500-petrol-tank-all-markets-except-usa

If you have a MityVac, you can prime the line by connecting it to the fuel inlet hose at the pump, and create a vacuum to try to draw fuel from the tank.

clshore Carter Shore
In reply to # 1533303 by spurs1canada Yes working pump end of last season.
If I remove the fuel line from tank to filter and put gas in there would it prime the system.
I don't want to take the pump off unless I have to as I don't have a spare gasket,would probably take two weeks to get one.

The test I described above does not require removal of the pump, just the inlet from the tank.

But even if you do have to remove the pump …
The fuel pump gasket only has to seal crankcase pressures, perhaps 2-3 psi.
Hopefully you didn't use any gasket dressing, or if so on one side only.
But even if you did and it tears, just smear a thin layer of dressing onto the surfaces and reassemble, it will be fine.

Voda2000 Avatar
Voda2000 Andrew McMillan
In reply to # 1533322 by clshore
In reply to # 1533313 by Voda2000 Did you get fuel out of the inlet line when it’s disconnected?

https://www.canleyclassics.com/triumph-spitfire-mkiv/1500-petrol-tank-all-markets-except-usa

If you have a MityVac, you can prime the line by connecting it to the fuel inlet hose at the pump, and create a vacuum to try to draw fuel from the tank.

It should still siphon fuel from the tank if there is some fuel in the line and you make the hose to the pump inlet lower than the tank.

But I agree that applying vacuum would definitely work.

1978 Triumph Spitfire

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
In reply to # 1533331 by Voda2000
In reply to # 1533322 by clshore

It should still siphon fuel from the tank if there is some fuel in the line and you make the hose to the pump inlet lower than the tank.

But I agree that applying vacuum would definitely work.

That sucks.

spurs1canada Avatar
Just disconnected the inlet hose and got the wife to turn the key,can't feel any suction from pump,how much suction should there be as I was wearing nitrile gloves?
I thought there would be decent suction at the inlet.
Pump worked fine last season,worried that change of cam means different pump?

spurs1canada Avatar
No the filter wasn't removed last year and is clean.

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
SAINT LOUIS, MO, USA   USA
1978 Triumph 1500 "BLK-BRY"
You just re-installed pump recently?? Is the pump lever riding on top of the pump lobe - or did you slip it under the lobe by mistake...??

Z

spurs1canada Avatar
All is well,I took the supply hose off the bottom of filter,got the compressor and blew down the line,a few seconds later gas came out the supply line,reconnected filter and turned her over now has gas in the filter.
Thanks to all.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster