Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Hugh Jorgan Avatar
GUELPH, ON, Canada   CAN
Hi All,
I'm brand new to the forums. I have a '76 Spitfire that's all original. I'm the 3rd owner of the car, which I purchased from my uncle about 30 years ago. It has 37,000 miles on it, hasn't seen a drop of rain in over 20 years, looks great considering it's original, and runs like a dream. My biggest complaint with the vehicle is that my uncle put motomaster tires on it to pass safety when I purchased it. It's only taken me 30 years to decide to do something about it, so I'm looking for suggestions as to what to put on and where to get them using the original rims. The motomaster tires are P155/80SR13. I would prefer something that has a slightly wider appearance without changing the rim. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TheFlash300 Avatar
TheFlash300 Dave Gutknecht
Rochester Hills, MI, USA   USA
1979 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Lil Spit"
Welcome to the forum. The quick answer is 175/70R13.
You can do a forum search for different tire and rim sizes people use on their Spitfires

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
Welcome!

As Dave says 175-70-13 will give the same rolling circumference, so the same speedometer reading a the skinny stock tires.

However 13" tires are not so popular these days, the selection available is not great.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Hugh Jorgan Avatar
GUELPH, ON, Canada   CAN
Thanks for the replies. Would these be an improvement over what I've got?

P175/70R13 HANKOOK OPTIMO H724 82T

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
That is what I have on my car. Not a bad tire, OK in the wet, predictable in the dry.
Previously I had an inexpensive performance tire that was deadly in the wet and only got worse as it quickly wore.

The Hankooks do not grip as well on dry asphalt, but are a better all round tire.

Hugh Jorgan Avatar
GUELPH, ON, Canada   CAN
I purchased and installed the tires. Looks better, braking is improved, the ride is SO much better! I can't believe the difference in handling. Thrilled with the results! Thanks for the help guys!

Attachments:
20180516_190219.jpg    49.3 KB
20180516_190219.jpg

Manana Avatar
Manana Steve Wten
Thornhill, ON, Canada   CAN
Well if you think that's something, wait till you read more and learn about the countless things that will intrigue you and keep you in the garage.

Nice car. Welcome to the Forum Hugh and congrats on the new tires.

Steve
http://stevew10.wix.com/spit16

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
Hugh, you might look real hard at you rims. I think they are TR7, which were wider than the stock rim of your cars original date.
Not a bad thing, the 175's should fit nicely. Check the lugs and make sure there is no play on the studs. They may need to be slightly angled so the acorn lug can center them.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

Spitfirejoe Avatar
Spitfirejoe Joe Guinan
Fremont, NE, USA   USA
1980 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "The Phoenix"
In reply to # 1533713 by trrdster Hugh, you might look real hard at you rims. I think they are TR7, which were wider than the stock rim of your cars original date.
Not a bad thing, the 175's should fit nicely. Check the lugs and make sure there is no play on the studs. They may need to be slightly angled so the acorn lug can center them.

Wayne - I think those are stock 1976 Spitfire rims. '76 was the only year that had the oblong holes. I think they were also used on the Marina.

Joe Guinan
Fremont, Nebraska

lef2wander Avatar
lef2wander Gold Member James Thomas
Hatfield, MA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1533713 by trrdster Hugh, you might look real hard at you rims. I think they are TR7, which were wider than the stock rim of your cars original date.
I think those rims came on the car from the factory. 76 only. I have a 76 parts car that have the same rims. ??+/-??.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-05-17 05:36 AM by lef2wander.

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
James,Might be as you say as I have the one year only bolt on wires for my Spit6.
I find it odd that Triumph got on the right track and then derailed itself the next. I'm hoping to use most of the good stuff.

Hugh has a nice car and he should learn a lot from this forum.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

Dickie B Avatar
Dickie B Dickie Brewer
Clover, SC, USA   USA
1973 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Rose"
1982 Chevrolet Corvette "Buddy"
1991 BMW 850i "Rocket"
2005 Nissan Frontier V6 "NIZMO"
Hugh,

In case you haven't already, please register your car on this site.
There's alot of good reasons why you should.

Dickie B

Hugh Jorgan Avatar
GUELPH, ON, Canada   CAN
Really appreciate all the replies and input. Went for a drive tonight to get a better photo of The Spitfire, so I wanted to share. The covered bridge in West Montrose Ontario was featured in last year's IT movie (Stephen King)

Attachments:
IMG_20180517_192653_043.jpg    78.6 KB
IMG_20180517_192653_043.jpg

J.P.Rap Avatar
J.P.Rap J.P. Rap
Mount Hope, ON, Canada   CAN
1976 Triumph 1500 "Donna"
2007 Ford Ranger
Great looking car Hugh. Not too many all originals left.

Those are the exact wheels I have on my 76. I was discussing them with a fellow in a TR6 at one of the cruise nights last year. The wheels have lumps on them around the outside of the center cap that look like they're for a hub cap. After a bit of discussion about it, he pulled a book out of his car and looked up the 76 . There was a promotional picture from 76 and it had the same wheels.

"In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant." Elwood P. Dowd

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
In reply to # 1533919 by J.P.Rap Great looking car Hugh. Not too many all originals left.

Those are the exact wheels I have on my 76. I was discussing them with a fellow in a TR6 at one of the cruise nights last year. The wheels have lumps on them around the outside of the center cap that look like they're for a hub cap. After a bit of discussion about it, he pulled a book out of his car and looked up the 76 . There was a promotional picture from 76 and it had the same wheels.
J.P.
Those are the right wheels for a 76. A one year wheel shared with the Marina. Yes they do have the bosses for a hub cap. I suspect the bottom of the line Marina in the UK or maybe the third world got hub caps instead of wheel covers. And of course they still fit the Spitfire center cap too.
All the best,
Paul

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster