Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

mykeeb33 Avatar
mykeeb33 Silver Member Mike Bostwick
Puyallup, WA, USA   USA
The one that came from VB was apparently the wrong one also. The felt was glued into kind of a metal casing. Has anyone seen one like this before? What's it supposed to go in?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-27 10:58 PM by mykeeb33.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
20180427_130627.jpg    40.3 KB
20180427_130627.jpg

brucejon Avatar
brucejon Bruce Jones
Santa Cruz, CA, USA   USA
1962 Triumph TR3B
1963 Triumph TR3B "Tupperware TR3"
1969 Triumph Spitfire MkIII
1972 Triumph TR6
In reply to # 1529153 by Tonyfixit Hub pullers are not normally required.

If you are changing the grease seals, post here when you get the kit.

Apologies, I just did this on my tr3 where the puller is needed and claim confusion!

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
In reply to # 1529239 by mykeeb33 The one that came from VB was apparently the wrong one also. The felt was glued into kind of a metal casing. Has anyone seen one like this before? What's it supposed to go in?

Mike,
It is supposed to go in the inner end of the front hub. The problem is the felt is too thick and the metal is the wrong diameter. If you are reasonably careful you can save the old seal by driving it out with the old bearing. Then you can clean it and reuse it or use part of the new felt and the old metal ring.
BTW this is one case where VB isn't the one to blame. I haven't seen a new seal that fits right in decades.
All the best,
Paul

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
SAINT LOUIS, MO, USA   USA
1978 Triumph 1500 "BLK-BRY"
In reply to # 1529464 by spitfire50
In reply to # 1529239 by mykeeb33 The one that came from VB was apparently the wrong one also. The felt was glued into kind of a metal casing. Has anyone seen one like this before? What's it supposed to go in?

Mike,
It is supposed to go in the inner end of the front hub. The problem is the felt is too thick and the metal is the wrong diameter. If you are reasonably careful you can save the old seal by driving it out with the old bearing. Then you can clean it and reuse it or use part of the new felt and the old metal ring.
BTW this is one case where VB isn't the one to blame. I haven't seen a new seal that fits right in decades.
All the best,
Paul

Now that's an interesting problem..... remind me to use care removing the seals......... Has anyone found an alternative that fits??

Z

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
I went through this last year. I ended up making my own seals from thick leather and gluing them in the original steel holders.

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
In reply to # 1529699 by TheZster

Now that's an interesting problem..... remind me to use care removing the seals......... Has anyone found an alternative that fits??

Z

Steven,
The Lotus guys seem to have found a normal rubber lip seal that works. One similar to the front timing cover seal for instance. I don't remember ever seeing a Chicago Rawhide or other easily cross referenced number for that seal.
All the best,
Paul

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
SAINT LOUIS, MO, USA   USA
1978 Triumph 1500 "BLK-BRY"
In reply to # 1529879 by spitfire50
In reply to # 1529699 by TheZster

Z

Steven,
The Lotus guys seem to have found a normal rubber lip seal that works. One similar to the front timing cover seal for instance. I don't remember ever seeing a Chicago Rawhide or other easily cross referenced number for that seal.
All the best,
Paul

Thx Paul: I better get busy looking for reference #'s.... just so I have a couple in my "parts bin"....

Z

brentb Avatar
brentb Brent Burlingham
Saskatoon, SK, Canada   CAN
Sorry for the delay in posting. I decided to take my caliper off to see if it was working OK, and one of the pistons was seized open. That's what was causing the howl. Replaced the caliper, and the problem is gone. I have parts for the wheel bearings, but will wait for a bit to tackle that job. Thanks for all the help!

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
Another happy ending.

Oh wait,...it cost money.

mkivmarty Avatar
mkivmarty Marty Yanik
N.E.Ohio, USA   USA
In reply to # 1533822 by Doug in Vegas Another happy ending.

Doesn't a happy ending cost extra?

Marty

Greg1835 Avatar
Greg1835 Greg S
Rudolph, WI, USA   USA
About 200 piaster 45-50 yrs. ago.winking smiley

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
In reply to # 1533866 by mkivmarty
In reply to # 1533822 by Doug in Vegas Another happy ending.

Doesn't a happy ending cost extra?

Only the happily ever afters.

For the rest of us there's bailing wire and duct tape.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1980 Triumph TR7 Drophead

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links