Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Spitfire71 Avatar
Spitfire71 Gold Member Ray Hiett
Reno, NV, USA   USA
Does anyone have a solution to placing a "splash guard" over the opening to the pcv valve hose attachment pipe?
Photo attached. (I hope)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_1237.JPG    42.4 KB
IMG_1237.JPG

tmpass Avatar
tmpass Tim P
Medway, MA, USA   USA
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "Capo"
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "Blue Oxide"
you could just drill, tap a machine screw into the cover and then bend a small piece of scrap tin to mount over the hole. it would hardly have to be anything substantial.

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
SAINT LOUIS, MO, USA   USA
1978 Triumph 1500 "BLK-BRY"
DO NOT consider me an expert...... But>>>>> Valve cover height on my 78 spit.... pretty much precludes pressure pushing much sprayed oil in suspension that high.... Mine runs that valve cover attachment right to my Weber intake filter...... Never had an issue with oil buildup in the carb... nor spark plugs running oily.... nor oily residue inside my air filter assembly...
FWIW...

Z

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
spitlist Avatar
spitlist Joe Curry
Sahuarita, Sahuarita, AZ, USA   USA
EPOXY

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
In reply to # 1526737 by spitlist EPOXY

Where and to what end? Need some breathing via the valve cover to my Weber to avoid the dreaded "oil out the dipstick" syndrome...

Which - was cured by running my valve cover outlet hose to the carb filter intake (pre-cut hole provided by intake filter manufacturer)... No restrictors - no intricate adapters - just a few inches of rubber hose... Not saying it was the ideal "racing solution"... but by gosh.. it works well for my street car... I had tried restrictors from valve cover to carb base plate... but all it got me was an air leak symptom under the carb... (Plugged that quickly and did the above - with perfect results....)...

Z

spitlist Avatar
spitlist Joe Curry
Just duplicate the stock valve cover with the piece of metal that covers the opening to keep oil from spraying directly into the opening. Since it is aluminum, welding is not a good option, so epoxy is the obvious substitute.

In reply to # 1526742 by TheZster

Where and to what end? Need some breathing via the valve cover to my Weber to avoid the dreaded "oil out the dipstick" syndrome...

Which - was cured by running my valve cover outlet hose to the carb filter intake (pre-cut hole provided by intake filter manufacturer)... No restrictors - no intricate adapters - just a few inches of rubber hose... Not saying it was the ideal "racing solution"... but by gosh.. it works well for my street car... I had tried restrictors from valve cover to carb base plate... but all it got me was an air leak symptom under the carb... (Plugged that quickly and did the above - with perfect results....)...

Z

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
Well, that certainly explains a lot more than the word "EPOXY"..... Thanks on everyone's behalf....

So far what I've heard is: create some sort of baffle at the entrance to the valve cover relief fitting..... Get creative..... Obviously you have lots of different options.... Goal being: Keep liquid oil from rising from valve train to relief fitting on top of the valve cover....

Me.... I would try to figure out how big an issue it is on your particular vehicle.... then move forward from there..... be it JB welding a blocking cover in place..... screwing a cover piece in place.... Or just letting it ride... ( I do have a cover with a piece of metal partially covering the relief fitting.... stock part.... so can't provide a decent alternative)..... However... it should be a simple fix... just make sure that - whatever you do.... it is secure enough that you don't have to worry about "stuff" coming loose and dropping into your valve train....

Z

In reply to # 1526787 by spitlist Just duplicate the stock valve cover with the piece of metal that covers the opening to keep oil from spraying directly into the opening. Since it is aluminum, welding is not a good option, so epoxy is the obvious substitute.

In reply to # 1526742 by TheZster

Z

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
This has been an ongoing issue with the allow valve cover.

The stock location is at the top of the cover which allowed for a flat plate to be used.

Check out post #12 in this thread:

https://www.triumphexp.com/phorum/read.php?8,1308454

Spitfire71 Avatar
Reno, NV, USA   USA
First, thanks to all who answered my post. Good ideas!
Second, sorry for not checking my spelling. Hope it got some chuckles.
Third, built a piece similar to stock but smaller overall. Looks like no valves will foul it.
Forth, a question for Joe Curry. What do you think of tig welding it in place. I've been given some info on a man described as an artist with a tig welder. I've made repairs with JB Weld before and was amazed at how long it lasted. But.......

spitlist Avatar
spitlist Joe Curry
In reply to # 1526830 by Spitfire71
Forth, a question for Joe Curry. What do you think of tig welding it in place. I've been given some info on a man described as an artist with a tig welder. I've made repairs with JB Weld before and was amazed at how long it lasted. But.......

If you have a tig welder and are competent at aluminum welding. that is definitely the way to go. Since most of us don't (aren't) Epoxy (or JB Weld) are obvious substitutes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-16 10:09 PM by spitlist.

Spitfire71 Avatar
Reno, NV, USA   USA
I'll soon let you know how it turns out

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
Hi,
ISTR Andy Martin made one that is simply held in place by the cover itself. Sort of a press fit inside the cover.
All the best,
Paul

Greg1835 Avatar
Greg1835 Greg S
Rudolph, WI, USA   USA
That boss for the tube on the inside looks thick enough to drill & tap a small hole for a sheet metal shield of some sorts.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1963 Triumph Herald 1200

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links