1970 Spitfire fuel vapor capture lines

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

70spit Jon B
Camas, WA, USA   USA
I did a poor job photo documenting the tear-down of my 1970 Spitfire Mk3. It hasn't been a problem for most everything else so far as my memory of things I take apart is generally pretty good. But I can't for the life of me remember how the fuel vapor lines in the boot are meant to be routed. I remember there was a loop around the fuel tank that connected to the vapor tank mounted in the boot. Then another line connected to that tank that ran to the front of the car. I have a 3rd shorter line, too. I just can't figure out which is which...

One of the two long lines has a curly abrasion-resistant wrap at one end. Is that the one that routes to the front of the car?

How does the short piece fit into this?

Does anyone have any photos of the lines attached to the evap tank in the boot for a '70? There are only 3 tubes. If I can figure out one of them the rest of this should fall into place.

Thanks -
Jon

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
twomanytriumphs Avatar
twomanytriumphs Gold Member Kyle Darby
Kelso, WA, USA   USA
1965 Triumph TR4 "My Baby"
1966 Triumph 2000 MkI "Bessie"
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "The Princess"
1977 MG MGB
I’m tons of help here Jon, but my gt6 the short one went from tank to gas cap, the part with the curly protector went near the frame. Kyle.

65or66 Gold Member Jim B
Lake village, IN, USA   USA
1965 Triumph Spitfire MkII
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Jusanudda Munny Pit"
Is this the one you have? This is the system with the separator mounted on the side of the trunk.

https://www.triumphexp.com/article/1970-evaporation-control-system.html#utm_source=alias&utm_medium=triumphexperience.com

Not sure how much help it will be.

If yours has the vapor separator right on top of the gas tank, it is like my 72. I can take pics of that tomorrow after the snow stops.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
70spit Jon B
Camas, WA, USA   USA
Thanks guys, that helps a ton. Thanks for that diagram Jim, that is the system I have smileys with beer I should be able to figure this out now

SteveTheBrewer Avatar
SteveTheBrewer Steve Lembree
Orlando, FL, USA   USA
So my 1970 was missing the majority of this system. In fact all it had was the charcoal canister under the bonnet with line attached to the carb and then line leading under the car. The line under the car just stopped dead in front of the rear wheels.

This car will not be a show car, or an all original due to its past, it would just take way more money than it’s worth. So my question is.... Is there any harm in just deleting the whole thing? I’m in FL and don’t have emmsion checks to worry about.

70spit Jon B
Camas, WA, USA   USA
It won't really harm anything if this system is missing (if you're no longer beholden to emissions regulation) but there's nothing to capture the vapors from the fuel tank without it. It's not just for vapor but also overflow. If none of the hoses are there I hope the outlet on the fuel filler neck is at least plugged so the vapor/overflow doesn't end up in the boot of the car. Chances are it would still end up there if the fuel filler seal isn't really tight -- mine isn't and I'm not really sure how it could be given the overflow bung has to work past the seal during assembly.

My car is the opposite of yours: I have the tubing in the boot and the overflow tank but no charcoal canister under the bonnet. The line just ends near the exhaust manifold. I suppose it's not much better to risk fuel overflow spitting out near the exhaust than to let it accumulate in the boot. Maybe I should try and find a new-ish charcoal canister to add to my car...

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
Unless you are doing a concourse job you can greatly simplify the plumbing.

That vapor line that circles the trunk is eliminated in later years.

SteveTheBrewer Avatar
SteveTheBrewer Steve Lembree
Orlando, FL, USA   USA
Thanks everyone,

I’m just going to delete the remaining part of the system and ensure that the hole is plugged on the filler. I have a feeling it is, but I’m going to double check.

Manana Avatar
Manana Steve Wten
Thornhill, ON, Canada   CAN
Steve, I was standing on the sidelines for this one expecting others who know more to step in.

The thing about the Evap Control System is that it doesn't drain any power from your car.

Admittedly I know very little about the 1970 version, but I think....
- as others have posted in different threads, it does help prevent your garage from smelling of fuel, or even when outside you may notice it.
- also, although you may need to plug the hole you speak of, if there is nowhere for air to enter the system you can create a vacuum in the tank and lines that could starve the engine
- a PO of my 1978 has done something similar (but left the plumbing in) and to prevent that vacuum he cut part of the gas cap seal to allow air in. This is a terrible solution; if my tank is half or more full during AutoCross it makes a huge smelly mess during every run.

Hopefully I'm wrong for the 1970 and someone else will step in and correct me.

PS: when I did my Miata swap I didn't initially install the Evap stuff, but I fully intend to when I get the chance. Cost is minimal, but I think the benefits will be worth it.

Steve
http://stevew10.wix.com/spit16

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster