AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Sarge101st Avatar
Sarge101st Silver Member Brian S
Carlisle, PA, USA   USA
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Biggles"
1979 MG Midget 1500 "Grrr"
1980 MG MGB "Piddles"
The search function doesn't yield the specific wisdom (or I'm just missing it, which is entirely possible), so I'll ask.

'77 1500 Spitty, stock steel wheels, an awakening survivor. The awful cheesy plastic faux-hubcap dustcover things that have the four springs and are held on by the lugnuts. Mine are, of course, distorted, brittle, chunks missing.

I'm not so much interested in new repros or NOS particularly (though replacements in kind would be fine). I don't see replacements clearly available, though I found a description that alludes to these things in a catalogue but at hideous money for such a thing; not much more and I could replace wheels.

So, exploring alternatives with at least the benifit of covering the hubs.

Would tin Mk 4 caps fit on 1500 stock steel wheels? A source for push-on elastomer dust covers that would fit the hub itself? Just something simple and neat to salve my sensibilities whilst dealing with the electro-mechanical phase of waking a survivor that can be revisited during the later refresh of the cosmetics.

This has to have been a topic before, so my apologies for my ineptness with key-word searches in advance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-16 08:35 AM by Sarge101st.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Tbob Silver Member Bob T
Edgewood, KY, USA   USA
I have the same question/interest.

I would love to find a baby moon style hubcap to fit Spitfire wheels, along the lines of the pic below.

Regards,

Bob t

Attachments:
baby-moon-hubcaps.jpg    31.6 KB
baby-moon-hubcaps.jpg

grubscrew Avatar
grubscrew grub screw
The suburbs of, Winfield, Maryland, USA   USA
Ahh, too late Brian, I just gave away a serviceable set of originals on Buy, Sell and Trade!

Dave
1970 Spitfire Mk3
FDU 78359L
34/11 (Jasmine yellow/Black interior)

1962 Triumph TR3B
TCF 575L
Signal Red/Red interior

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
arturo64 Avatar
arturo64 Arthur T
Billings, MT, USA   USA
you could go with a set of mk1 or mk2 gt6 rims and some moonies! as for the original dust cover/hubcap things, look for some mk3 gt6 ones that were made out of metal. look good and will last a bit longer

Arthur
68 spit
70 gt6+

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1980 Triumph TR7 Drophead

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links