AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
SAINT LOUIS, MO, USA   USA
1978 Triumph 1500 "BLK-BRY"
Andrew:

This is so simple...... PM Manana ( he is a great guy who knows your situation)..... You should be able to figure out your system in 3 minutes or less with his help..... I promise - he knows what he is talking about.... I just hate to see you spinning your wheels on such a simple problem....

Z

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Manana Avatar
Manana Steve Wten
Thornhill, ON, Canada   CAN
Z, I think he's well on his way, but thanks for your confidence smiling smiley

Paul, good post there.

So can you confirm this... to check for voltage across the Ballast Wire, or Unballasted Starting circuit, you would...

1. Disconnect that main High Voltage lead and put it someplace safe (as it will energize when the coil is grounded)
2. Ground the negative side of the coil and measure voltage for whichever circuit at that time?

Steve
http://stevew10.wix.com/spit16

J.P.Rap Avatar
J.P.Rap J.P. Rap
Mount Hope, ON, Canada   CAN
1976 Triumph 1500 "Donna"
2007 Ford Ranger
I assumed you were testing with the engine running. I would do that first before cutting any wires. It sound like you have the original wiring. If you don't see a wire spliced into the yellow wire, it has to be getting power from the pink wire.
The question now is, if it's been running fine for 15 years, why do you want to change it? If your system is set up for 6 volts and you change to 12 your gonna burn something out. If you want to eliminate the ballast wire you'll need to replace it with a ballast resister or change to a 12 volt coil. I don't know if it matters to the EI system or not. My experience is limited to points. If the EI relies on a 6 volt system you could do some damage.

If you're just cleaning up the wiring, leave the ignition alone and eliminate or bury the wires you don't need. I used one white wire, eliminated the w/blue wire and buried the rest in the wire loam.
HTH

"In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant." Elwood P. Dowd

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Voda2000 Avatar
Voda2000 Andrew McMillan
Winnipeg, MB, Canada   CAN
Hi J.P., I can't test it with the motor running because the motor is out for a rebuild right now. The coil is definitely a 12v coil; I bought it and it tests a 3.0 ohm. I actually dug out the original coil that was on the car when I bough it and it also tested at 3.0 ohm.

As for why i want to change it, I think I have a 12v system but have just been running it at 6v. I think it would basically just run the coil at a lower output.

1978 Triumph Spitfire

Manana Avatar
Manana Steve Wten
JP, he should be running with the proper voltage. Just because it was running doesn't mean it was running as well as it could've been.

Andrew, I look forward to hearing your results. thumbs up

But do realize those coils run pretty hot, so don't get too scared if you see that.

Steve

Steve

J.P.Rap Avatar
J.P.Rap J.P. Rap
2007 Ford Ranger
In reply to # 1526824 by Voda2000 Hi J.P., I can't test it with the motor running because the motor is out for a rebuild right now. The coil is definitely a 12v coil; I bought it and it tests a 3.0 ohm. I actually dug out the original coil that was on the car when I bough it and it also tested at 3.0 ohm.

As for why i want to change it, I think I have a 12v system but have just been running it at 6v. I think it would basically just run the coil at a lower output.

Of course. You said that in your original message. Guess I should pay more attention.sad smiley

"In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant." Elwood P. Dowd

Voda2000 Avatar
Voda2000 Andrew McMillan
Think I finally got my answer. i put a volt meter from the coil + to battery - and then momentary (very quickly) grounded the coil voltage dropped to 6ish.

I then separated the ballast from the white/yellow and there is no voltage to the coil. The only way the coil was powered when the key was in run was via the ballast wire.

So final conclusions
-The wiring was stock
-The ballast wire functions
-I've been running a 12v coil and a Pertronix as reduced power fro 15 years.

I now know what wiring can be removed and where to get a new power feed to the coil from,

Thanks everyone.

1978 Triumph Spitfire

Manana Avatar
Manana Steve Wten
Awesome, good work Andrew.

Steve

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
In reply to # 1526854 by Voda2000 Think I finally got my answer. i put a volt meter from the coil + to battery - and then momentary (very quickly) grounded the coil voltage dropped to 6ish.

I then separated the ballast from the white/yellow and there is no voltage to the coil. The only way the coil was powered when the key was in run was via the ballast wire.

So final conclusions
-The wiring was stock
-The ballast wire functions
-I've been running a 12v coil and a Pertronix as reduced power fro 15 years.

I now know what wiring can be removed and where to get a new power feed to the coil from,

Thanks everyone.

There is no need to do it quickly to test the voltage.

The coil is powered normally and the spark happens when its power is cut by the points or electronic ignition.

J.P.Rap Avatar
J.P.Rap J.P. Rap
2007 Ford Ranger
Glad you got it sorted out Andrew.
Twice the voltage...oughta be twice as fast now.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Voda2000 Avatar
Voda2000 Andrew McMillan
In reply to # 1527026 by J.P.Rap Glad you got it sorted out Andrew.
Twice the voltage...oughta be twice as fast now.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Lol that’s the plan anyways!

1978 Triumph Spitfire

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links