AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, WA, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
In some of the older fix'em books they explain the process. The first thing they tell us is, unless something has happened to the car body or frame, put them back exactly where they came off. But, like Roy, we often fail to make correct notes or photos to record that,
The purpose of the rubber ones is to allow some small degree of adjustment for door gap angles. It is possible to move the hard and soft locations to accomplish that process but it will be very small movements that are magnified by the difference between the bolt points and how tight the rubbers get tightened

If you happen to check the right parts books they will list them as rubber or solid/aluminum by location and part number, but not all do.

Dan

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
RiPe Richard Peetz
Sequim, WA, USA   USA
I remember reading on some web site, might have been on the Canley Classics tech site, that the metal spacers were placed "as needed" to fill in gaps that occur between the frame and the body due to manufacturing variances. All the catalogs seem to show the same spacers at the same places which differs from what I read. Yea, you could alter the door gap with the spacers, but cranking down the body bolts might be placing some unwanted stress on a 40 to 50 year old body. There is a fair amount of door adjustment available with the hinges.

My Mark II had no rubber spacers anywhere, so it was either perfect (HA!!!), or the various P.O.'s left them out, or the early round tails didn't use the rubber spacers.

Anybody know if the early round tails came with rubber spacers?

Regards,
Richard

ahebron Adrian Hebron
Lower Hutt, Wellington, New Zealand   NZL
On my Vitesse 6 I have got rid of rubber mounts and have gone stainless steel washers and spacers.
The old rubber mounts were so sqaushed and hard and new rubber ones are far to soft.
The spacers are 6mm thick and the washers are 1.5mm it made shimming the body very easy.
I used pump wedges like these to set the levels as they are a lot nicer than wooden wedges.

Adrian

1966 Vitesse 6 Saloon
1970 Vitesse Mk2 Convertible
Both not running!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1969 Triumph Spitfire MkIII

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links