AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

colodad Avatar
colodad Silver Member Calvin Williams
Grand Junction, CO, USA   USA
In reply to # 1526551 by spitfire50
In reply to # 1526546 by colodad
In reply to # 1526497 by TheZster Did you end up Happy with the Moss replacements? Z
I bought 2 rockers to have a look at their product, not sure it is a good representation of the supply they have on hand...
Calvin,
Are the ones you got any good? Representative or not we'd like to know.
Curious,
Paul
Paul, listthe requirements for a good acceptable rocker, that would help.
sorry for not getting back to reply, having some flu issues, took 2 days just to compile these images to post my search to this point. I have some pictures how the pad sets on the stem, just problem keeping focused.. pick up this again tomorrow....

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, FL, USA   USA
I've been researching 'alternative' rockers.

Just for grins, I bought a set of these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEVY-305-350-383-400-SBC-STEEL-ROLLER-TIP-ROCKER-ARM-3-8-STUD-1-5-RATIO/183071647098?hash=item2a9feba57a:g:-lsAAOSwk6ZZuDf2&vxp=mtr

Note that this $55 set will serve TWO Spitfires (16 rockers).
These are about the same size, length, reach, and ratio as Spitfire rockers, but LIGHTER.

To fit them, you must replace the rocker arm assembly with a custom steel plate that the rocker studs screw into.
The studs must be located so that the rollers align with the valvestem tip, and the pushrods are centered in the cylinder head access holes.
Different pushrods are also needed, having rounded tips on both ends.
The valvelash is adjusted by tightening/loosening the nut that positions the spherical pivot washer..

Chevy V-8 have used these since at least 1956, tens of billions of miles of usage, they have proven to be extremely durable.

Would be pretty easy to do this.

joesbox Avatar
joesbox Joe Mann
Oakham, Rutland, UK   GBR
Well Rimmer's got back to me and acknowledged that they did have a bad batch at some stage (could well coincide with the time that mine were purchased last year). They are going to send me some replacements. Watch this space.

Joe

www.joeblogs.eu

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
SAINT LOUIS, MO, USA   USA
1978 Triumph 1500 "BLK-BRY"
In reply to # 1526920 by joesbox Well Rimmer's got back to me and acknowledged that they did have a bad batch at some stage (could well coincide with the time that mine were purchased last year). They are going to send me some replacements. Watch this space.

I'm waiting and watching with great interest..... Love Carter's new "play toy"... but don't want to be the first (nor second or third) to try it out.....

Z

clshore Carter Shore
In reply to # 1526929 by TheZster
In reply to # 1526920 by joesbox ...
I'm waiting and watching with great interest..... Love Carter's new "play toy"... but don't want to be the first (nor second or third) to try it out.....

Z

I didn't mention it, but my initial motivation for researching 'alternate rockers' was to fit Hydraulic Lash Adjusters.
When I discovered that the Chevy rockers might be so easy to fit as manually adjusted, I decided that was also worth exploring.

Whatever I find, I'll publish and share.
It may turn out that the pushrods are the most expensive components.

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
SAINT LOUIS, MO, USA   USA
1978 Triumph 1500 "BLK-BRY"
In reply to # 1526932 by clshore
In reply to # 1526929 by TheZster

In reply to # 1526920 by joesbox ...

Z

I didn't mention it, but my initial motivation for researching 'alternate rockers' was to fit Hydraulic Lash Adjusters.
When I discovered that the Chevy rockers might be so easy to fit as manually adjusted, I decided that was also worth exploring.

Whatever I find, I'll publish and share.
It may turn out that the pushrods are the most expensive components.

""Lash adjusters?" Do you mean hydraulic lifters? Pushrods are cheap - relatively speaking.... I'm wondering though... what's the plan for lubrication of the top end..... I'm guessing... and could be wrong... that the plan is for basic "oil spray" to lube the lifter/pushrod/valve contact points... or is there a process to incorporate the current oil galley to the current top end into the new system...?

Z

clshore Carter Shore
In reply to # 1526947 by TheZster ...
""Lash adjusters?" Do you mean hydraulic lifters?

HLA can be accomplished in many ways.
Hydraulic lifters are one way, but they increase valvetrain inertia, which limits valve float RPM.
I don't care for those.

Check out the Ford SOHC 2.3 Lima, that uses stationary hydraulic pivots.
Or Mazda Miata DOHC that uses lightweight hydraulic cam followers.
Or the Dodge DOHC that uses stationary hydraulic pivots.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1963 Triumph TR4

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links