Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

joesbox Avatar
joesbox Joe Mann
Oakham, Rutland, UK   GBR
My all new rocker assembly (except pedestals) seems to have some alignment issues. Having checked the order of components on the shaft, all I can think is that the rocker arms are sub-standard? In some cases the end of the rocker that is in contact with the valve doesn't seem to be 100% parallel to the stem.

Pretty sure the rocker arms are made by County. Any ideas?

Joe

www.joeblogs.eu

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
20180409_185628.jpg    21.9 KB
20180409_185628.jpg

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
Joe,
Start by reading this thread https://www.triumphexp.com/phorum/read.php?8,1517960
All the best,
Paul

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, FL, USA   USA
I would reject them.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
colodad Avatar
colodad Silver Member Calvin Williams
Grand Junction, CO, USA   USA
Remove the paint from the pad 1/2 end of the rocker with some brake cleaner, see if the letters PT are there.

Take a side photo with the help of a mirror, see if the pad's contact is centered on the stem or at the extreme outer side.

If you fit them side by side on the shaft, you could see if the workmanship is true or wacko...

From whom did these come to you from?

Attachments:
cwIMG_5280a SB 109024 odd rockers with PT ink stamped.jpg    54.8 KB
cwIMG_5280a SB 109024 odd rockers with PT ink stamped.jpg

cwIMG_5159 SBits rocker pads chipped.jpg    39.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
joesbox Avatar
joesbox Joe Mann
They were from Rimmer Bros (UK) who I have sent an email to with photos. Sadly they were a gift a little while ago and I've only just got round to fitting them. Since the head isn't actually on yet I haven't got quite as far as setting the rocker lash and doing a contact check with some engineer's blue. Having said that, some are so bad I don't think it's even worth going that far just yet. If you see photo IMG_0413 in the folder below, not only is the rocker pad quite a way off centre, it's not even parallel to the valve stem.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AtbrSp_Jxxallw7aYWK2UD64g4HY

Edit: As for manufacturer, 99% certain these are County.

Joe

www.joeblogs.eu

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-10 10:05 AM by joesbox.

Lizzard d id
san jose, CA, USA   USA
Could I have those rockers ?

colodad Avatar
I contacted Spitbits numerous times with photos, included those same concerns and more.

I had thought they come from Rimmer, but SB wouldn't say.

I found the measurements wild, spent time swapping positions, photographing, adjusting, setting pedestal height's. I thought I could live with the last changes, then the last straw for me was the pads trashed. I complained about the thin layer flaking off, attached a photo of them. That was the only time they were concerned these rockers had a problem, SB has not commented about the other problems, just gave me a full refund (they didn't pay for rocker's return shipping)

SB is emailing again, trying to discredit oil.

I have 2 rocker arms coming from Moss. PT is also stamped on their site's parts image...
Numerous emails of their measuring and photos, which don't entice me to spend #125+ yet...

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
SAINT LOUIS, MO, USA   USA
1978 Triumph 1500 "BLK-BRY"
Lawd, lawd, lawdy.... what a guy to do??/????

Based on this (and one other thread).... I've decided to forego a new rocker arm assembly and buy what looks to be a good used original OE product..... I'm rebuilding a head (that just arrived 2 minutes ago and haven't even opened the box..... so this thread is of great importance to me..... Obviously, the usual vendors can't "get it right"..... be it materials or specifications.... I'm going to go with a used valve train that has just a hint of wear on the rockers.... rather than worry about mis-fits...

Ohhhh... I long for the days when dozens of vendors provided quality parts for my American made Big Block....

Z

joesbox Avatar
joesbox Joe Mann
My old rockers lined up perfectly but there was a fair bit of wear on the shaft so I wouldn't want to put them back in. James Paddock are supplying rocker arms for £6 each so I have ordered a couple to compare for quality. I'm not so fussed about them being 100% central as long as the contact area is OK but I don't like the pad not being parallel to the stem.

Joe

www.joeblogs.eu

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1525168 by TheZster Lawd, lawd, lawdy.... what a guy to do??/????

Based on this (and one other thread).... I've decided to forego a new rocker arm assembly and buy what looks to be a good used original OE product..... I'm rebuilding a head (that just arrived 2 minutes ago and haven't even opened the box..... so this thread is of great importance to me..... Obviously, the usual vendors can't "get it right"..... be it materials or specifications.... I'm going to go with a used valve train that has just a hint of wear on the rockers.... rather than worry about mis-fits...

Ohhhh... I long for the days when dozens of vendors provided quality parts for my American made Big Block....

Z

On my rebuild I found wear was (just about) limited to the rocker shaft, wear on the rockers themselves was negligible .

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
Quote:
SB is emailing again, trying to discredit oil. 

That has been a 'standard cop out' for vendors in recent years, especally when problems arise related to cams or valve gear. :-(

The problem is many owners belive it!

colodad Avatar
SB replied, the high zinc VR1 racing oil he is ok with, out of 100,000 rockers he has pulled he has not seen pad wear like mine have.
Still dodging the measurements issue...
VB & BPNW are other possibilities.

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Calvin,
Don't ignore TRF. I have a set of new rocker arms I will be installing on my rebuild. They came from TRF and they came in JRT OEM plastic bags. So a few years ago they were selling real Triumph rockers. Check with TRF they may still be selling them.
All the best,
Paul

colodad Avatar
In reply to # 1525255 by spitfire50 Calvin,
Don't ignore TRF. I have a set of new rocker arms I will be installing on my rebuild. They came from TRF and they came in JRT OEM plastic bags. So a few years ago they were selling real Triumph rockers. Check with TRF they may still be selling them.
All the best,
Paul

Sorry, your search for triumph spitfire rocker arms did not find any results.
No documents were found containing "triumph spitfire rocker arms".

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster