AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

GT6 Occasional Seat
  This topic is about my 1973 Triumph GT6 MkIII
F1000RACER Avatar
F1000RACER Platinum Member Gary H
Alpine, CA, USA   USA
Yes I know the GT6 occasional seat is more for decoration than anything. I just wanted to load my 1973 GT6 Mk3 up with all the cool stuff.

Late last year I began gathering dozens of pictures and factory line drawings of the GT6 occasional seat. After spending about a week CAD Modeling, reverse engineering, and 3d printing here's what I've come up with.

I made a few small improvements to compensate for inaccuracies for the wheel arches, cross bar etc. I've tried very hard to replicate these parts as closely as I could to the originals. When the seat back is in the forward position laying flat there are 2 (handed) brackets that extend outward that act as a stop. Behind the quarter panels is a folded bracket that is bolted to the original factory slots with spire nuts.

The final piece of the puzzle are the bolt latches. I've modeled these and I'm going to 3d print them tomorrow and check the fit. If they're a go I'm going to machine them from as all the hardware store latches just look too crude.

For anyone interested I'll offer these as a kit less upholstery. I've made enough parts for 10 kits.

When I'm done I'll post final pics installed in my car. Special thanks to Davis Gregg for loaning his Mk3 so we could climb all over it, mine is too nice to climb around inside.

Gary Hickman

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
SEAT BACK.JPG    50.7 KB
SEAT BACK.JPG

SEAT BACK FLAT STOP.JPG    34.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
SEAT BACK STOP.JPG    45.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Bpt70gt Avatar
Bpt70gt Brian T
Westmoreland, NH, USA   USA
Nice investigation and design work Gary.

65or66 Gold Member Jim B
Lake village, IN, USA   USA
1965 Triumph Spitfire MkII
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Jusanudda Munny Pit"
Now all I need is a GT6!!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ryandkg David Ryan
Hamilton, ON, Canada   CAN
Hi Gary,
What would your kit comprise? The metal hardware only? If the backrest is plywood, would you supply just a paper template? How much will you be asking for your kit?

Lots of questions, I know. I really shouldn't want one of these, but I kind of do. Even if it never gets used, it is a neat option.

David

Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best...
...Frank Zappa

F1000RACER Avatar
F1000RACER Platinum Member Gary H
Alpine, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1524458 by ryandkg Hi Gary,
What would your kit comprise? The metal hardware only? If the backrest is plywood, would you supply just a paper template? How much will you be asking for your kit?

Lots of questions, I know. I really shouldn't want one of these, but I kind of do. Even if it never gets used, it is a neat option.

David

This project all started when I contacted my friends at Newton Commercial in the UK. They have the original patterns for the upholstery. What they couldn't supply was everything else needed. There's way more to this than a piece of wood and some hardware store hinges.

I own a CNC machine shop in SoCal. The seat back wood is cnc milled with hinge slots pre-notched and drilled. The steel parts are laser cut and folded then welded where needed.

I made my own 316 S.S. hinges. The original hinges had a very specific "joggle" bend to them. This was done for a few reasons that are critical to its functionality.

Any competent upholstery shop can cover this, they don't need the car there to do it. Upholster it any way you like. The originals were pleated in the horizontal plane, the post KF20000 cars were covered in corded cloth like the seats.

Kit would consist of all the parts needed to install less upholstery.

*Wood Seat Back machined and drilled (Baltic Burch)
*4 Purpose built hinges
*1 Pair of Barrel Bolt Latches
*L/R Seat Back Stop (used when in the seating position)
*L/R Seat Back Stop (laying flat)
*L/R Seat Back Stop mounting brackets (laying flat)
*Mounting hardware for above
*Basic pattern of the upholstery including the squab

Price still yet to be determined. At this point I'm floating the balloon to see if there are other like me wanting a kit.

GH

DMG David Gold
Ballwin, MO, USA   USA
This is awesome. I've got a seat with the hinges and the latches, but not the plates. So, I need a set of the bolt latch plates, and the stops for when the seat is folded down. Let me know how much. Thank You.

denislp2000 Avatar
denislp2000 Denis Palmer
Tulsa, OK, USA   USA
I have 2 gt6 cars and am very interested in the kits,
Denis

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1971 Triumph TR6

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links