AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

skyking1231 Avatar
skyking1231 Silver Member Frank Strobel
Mt. Sinai, NY, USA   USA
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Lil' Rose"
Actually one of welded nuts for the bolts is stripped.

I am going to see if i can clean up the threads...and maybe that will fix it....but...my luck it won’t.

So how should i address this problem? Would a heliocoil work? Or do i need to drill/tap for a larger size bolt? I would prefer original/same size hardware. No real way to get from behind and add a nut to the back. Should i go ‘ghetto’ and fill with jbweld and tap into that smoking smiley ?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
SpitMan Avatar
SpitMan Silver Member Doug Walls
Brandywine, MD, USA   USA
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Lil' Red Fox"
1998 Chevrolet Corvette "Silver Fox"
2007 Chevrolet Silverado "Workhorse"
2013 Chevrolet Malibu "Pearl Baby"
Hi Frank,

Are you talking about the top plate in the A post that has one or more stripped out? I had that problem but you may not like what I had to do to fix it. Are you good with a MIG welder?

It is possible to get nuts on longer bolts for the bottom plate but a better, although more work, way is to remove the plates. I had to cut a small section of metal above the top plate of the A post and lifted is back and took a drift and drove the plate up enough to get it out. There is a metal tab that has to be bent out of the way. Once I removed the plate, I bought some #8 nuts and longer bolts and reamed/drilled out the threads in the plates so the bolts could pass through. Then I bolted the nuts onto the plate and welded them onto the place. Took it all back apart and painted the plate to prevent rusting. Slide the plate back in, bent tab back down and welded the A post piece back down. Whew!!! A lot of work but well worth it in the future. Much easier to adjust the doors when you something good to bolt to.

Doug/SpitMan

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, WA, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
Are you talking about the A post bolts or in the door? Upper or lower?
Dan

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
MKIII Avatar
MKIII Norbert S
Moerfelden, Hessen, Germany   DEU
You can reach those plates from the inside. There is a metal tab that has to be bent out of the way and slide out the plates. Possible on all 4 A-post and door. There is no need to bend the tab back when you install new plates. There is no need to cut or drill any Metall.

Regards Norbert 1969MK3

skyking1231 Avatar
Mt. Sinai, NY, USA   USA
sorry... i guess i should have specified.....

it is one of the welded nuts on the A post.....upper. I can thread a bolt....but if i go to torque it down...its not holding. Maybe i can get a 5lbs before it gives. (its been like this for awhile....but thought i would address this finally) The bolt is clean...undamaged.

I used helicoils before...but they were plug type holes...like a bolt hole for the oil pan.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
Try a longer bolt with a nut on the other side. It's not like you have to take it off regularly.

SpitMan Avatar
Hi Doug,

When I had this similar problem, I first did as you stated but when the top plate stripped out I could not reach the top bolt, hence my finally removing the plates and welding nuts to the plates. Additionally, unless you have two people helping with aligning and tightening the nuts, it is very difficult to do. I am not saying it can't be done but it is very very difficult to put a nut on that top bolt and the others on the top plate are not that easy either.

R/ Doug/SpitMan

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
That's where needle nose vice grips come in handy.

SpitMan Avatar
Didn't work for me but I have big hands, so maybe little fingers would work better.

PETERCORRIGAN Peter Corrigan B
Utica, NY, USA   USA
The Spitman is correct. If you are not a welder or feel like this is to much take it to a reputable body shop because this job can lead to a sagging door and latching problems. I might be 50 to 100 bucks but it is something worth getting every thing lined up right. pete

skyking1231 Avatar
Mt. Sinai, NY, USA   USA
i haven't taken a look at my car recently...(under a cover, and a pile of empty boxes sad smiley ) But can you get access to the backside of the hinge botls ? i can set my door with the other two bolts and other hinge. So if i can get a longer bolt with nut, i may try doing that. I got some nice long needle nose pliers courtesy of the PO....found them in the bottom of the door awhile back....

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster