Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Andy-Sherry Avatar
Andy-Sherry Gold Member Andy Martin
Portland, OR, USA   USA
So TRF sent me spring washers for the main cap bolts,i was going to replace them with the flat washers from my motor,but mine doesn't have any,i was sure they had them,anyway I'm reading mixed messages whether or not they are needed,my local Ace shop has (they claim grade 8 washers) but they are a brass colour,should I get some or go without washers?

edit to read spring washer

Andy&Sherry
1974 Spit 1500 Carmine Red
1977 Spit 1500 Pink Panther Pink

Always learning something

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-13 04:31 PM by Andy-Sherry.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
Andy, I had trouble with a head gasket someone else put on and it turned out the washers they used under the head bolts were just regular body type ones. I had the same problem when I built my GT6 engine. You could see how the nuts had carved into the washer.
I went to Lowe's and they had grade 8 washers and real cheap compared to most places.
No way was the torque going to be right with mushy washers.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

brucejon Avatar
brucejon Gold Member Bruce Jones
Santa Cruz, CA, USA   USA
1960 Triumph TR3A
1963 Triumph TR3B "Tupperware TR3"
1969 Triumph Spitfire MkIII
1972 Triumph TR6
My supply of grade 8 is all brass color. I buy them by the box rather than by the each. I don't have the brand in front of me but I bought them in a locally owned hw store. Ace is my next choice, then fastenal. But I check the brand when buying.

60 TR3A (red), 62 TR3B project, 72 TR6, 69 Mk3 Spitfire EU setup
https://spitfiremk3.wordpress.com

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Smithisretired Avatar
Smithisretired Michael Smith
Wells, ME, USA   USA
The brass color comes from the material having been plated with yellow zinc, to resist rusting.

mkivmarty Avatar
mkivmarty Marty Yanik
N.E.Ohio, USA   USA
I forgot to order the thick washers when I replaced the head on my engine. I thought the cad plated Grade 8s from the hardware store would be OK. They just mushed and folded under the required torque. Your main caps may not be torqued that much, but I would avoid the HW store washers.

Marty

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-13 06:44 PM by mkivmarty.

Wolfcreek Steve Steve P
Central, WI, USA   USA
If I wanted a guaranteed grade 8 fastener, I'd go with McMaster Carr.

jimgt6 Jim E
Seekonk, MA, USA   USA
Give ARP a call and see if they make a stud kit for your engine.

Order Desk & Technical Support: 800.826.3045

With studs, you get a better torque on the caps and ARP uses case hardened washers with hardened nuts

This is what the TR7 kit looks like.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-13 10:24 PM by jimgt6.

Attachments:
206-5404.jpg    26.7 KB
206-5404.jpg

grumpicus Steve Jackson
Leicester, Leicestershire, UK   GBR
Andy - the factory parts manuals show a single turn spring washer fitted under the head of the main bearing bolt - part number WL0210 or WL600071, depending on the age of the parts book. In reality, it's just a single turn 7/16" spring washer - no need for flat washers. No washers are required on the conrod bolts, though!

A good alternative to the standard 3/8" UNF head nuts are those used on the last of the BL1300 Minis - same thread, but the nuts have a built-in flange on one side, which helps to spread the load across the plain washer fitted between it and the upper surface of the head.

jmac Avatar
jmac Silver Member Jere McSparran
Greenup, IL, USA   USA
1970 MG Midget "Joy Ride"
1978 MG Midget "Therapy"
1978 MG Midget "(SOLD)"
In reply to # 1518895 by jimgt6 Give ARP a call and see if they make a stud kit for your engine.

Order Desk & Technical Support: 800.826.3045

With studs, you get a better torque on the caps and ARP uses case hardened washers with hardened nuts

This is what the TR7 kit looks like.

X2 ARP stud kits are more expensive than STD but I have never been disappointed. Once you've used them you will understand why we tout them. Also excellent main and rod bolts.

JMac
JMacEngineShop.Weebly.com

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster