AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

new(ish) Spitfire owner
  This topic is about my 1979 Triumph 1500
shadowshaggy Avatar
shadowshaggy Matt Duryea
Pahrump, NV, USA   USA
Last year I picked up a fairly low mileage (and unfortunately sprayed in single stage blue) 79 Spitfire 1500. A prior owner upgraded to the 2bbl Weber, the Record Monza exhaust, and the Pacesetter header. So all the fun stuff has already been paid for lol. I'll put a pic up in the next post as well. It doesn't need anything in particular, aside from the remainder of the harness thrown in the trash and the new one built for it....yay British cars.

Background on myself, 6+ years of IT & 5+ years of automotive service and a few odds and ends in between. Last year we relocated to Las Vegas and about a month later sold the motorcycle and found this, well for $1400 for a running/driving Spitfire I kinda couldn't pass it up.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
shadowshaggy Avatar
shadowshaggy Matt Duryea
Pahrump, NV, USA   USA
This is it. Long term plan, it is going to be a resto-mod. If I can get a hold of one cheap enough, I'm going to snag a wrecked new model 124 Spider with the 1.4T & 6MT and perform British car surgery at it's finest. With the tune from Eurocompulsion, that engine will churn out around 225-230whp.

The exterior aside from color will be let well enough alone, planning on British Racing Green with a silver pearl in the clear, maybe a tangerine pearl, it's a ways off so not real concerned at the time.

The interior will be retrofitted will all the new fun stuff, it'll only look like a 79 from the outside. The interior will be updated with some miscellaneous carbon fiber bits, I have a friend that makes it.

I may catch some flack for it, but proper classic British roadsters were sort of build from a most pit of parts, so I figure I'll continue that fine tradition.

Attachments:
20170708_193231.jpg    41.3 KB
20170708_193231.jpg

RobTAR Robert I
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
Those 124s are nice cars once you get rid of all the Fiat bits. winking smiley

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
shadowshaggy Avatar
shadowshaggy Matt Duryea
Pahrump, NV, USA   USA
In reply to # 1518737 by RobTAR Those 124s are nice cars once you get rid of all the Fiat bits. winking smiley

Now you see why I just want the drivetrain from it? smiling smiley

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
Nice to see another desert dweller.

shadowshaggy Avatar
shadowshaggy Matt Duryea
Pahrump, NV, USA   USA
Yessir it is, I'm involved in the Fiat community and understand all too well how rare it is lol.

RobTAR Robert I
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1518738 by shadowshaggy
In reply to # 1518737 by RobTAR Those 124s are nice cars once you get rid of all the Fiat bits. winking smiley

Now you see why I just want the drivetrain from it? smiling smiley

You read me wrong. I'm saying it's a nice car once you take all the FCA bits out and put the Mazda bits back in. winking smiley I'd take a skyactive over a multiair any day of the week. Naturally aspirated engines are going the way of the Dodo and the skyactive is probably the most advanced NA engine that has ever existed in production form (incoming skyactiveX should raise TQ and HP 30% but not in production yet)

shadowshaggy Avatar
shadowshaggy Matt Duryea
Pahrump, NV, USA   USA
Nah I follow you, but I'd rather rock the 1.4T. We are on our fourth Fiat, 3 of them have had the 1.4T and it's bullet proof so long as you know it's dirty secrets lol. I just don't fit in the new 124s, so this is the second best thing to me.

I'd snag the 2.0 Mazda setup if the price was right when I do look later, but that seems odd to me. I'd rather shove Italian guts into a British car than Japanese parts, imho.

RobTAR Robert I
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1518792 by shadowshaggy Nah I follow you, but I'd rather rock the 1.4T. We are on our fourth Fiat, 3 of them have had the 1.4T and it's bullet proof so long as you know it's dirty secrets lol. I just don't fit in the new 124s, so this is the second best thing to me.

I'd snag the 2.0 Mazda setup if the price was right when I do look later, but that seems odd to me. I'd rather shove Italian guts into a British car than Japanese parts, imho.

Don't mind me, just a little light ribbing as I am kind of a Mazda fanboy. I really like the little abarth 500 fun car. Plus the skyactive is SOOO good if you don't mind the power levels. The increased compression (14:1) really gives it more of a power floor rather than a power band, Our mazda 3s will pull steep hills at 1200 rpm happily.

turner4366 Avatar
turner4366 Tom T
Danville, CA, USA   USA
I would consider a Miata 1.6 if you're looking for bullet proof.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster