Bypass Valve o ring?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

poulsbobill Bill K
Poulsbo, WA, USA   USA
I got a bypass valve rebuild kit and wonder what the o ring is for?

Anybody any ideas?

Thanks
Bill

1980 Spitfire

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_0492.JPG    59 KB
IMG_0492.JPG

J.P.Rap Avatar
J.P.Rap J.P. Rap
Mount Hope, ON, Canada   CAN
1976 Triumph 1500 "Donna"
2007 Ford Ranger
I don't know for certain but I put mine on the adjuster screw and pushed it all the way to the top with the spring. I don't know if that's where it goes but seemed as good a place as any.

"In this world, you must be oh so smart, or oh so pleasant. Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant." Elwood P. Dowd

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, WA, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
I thought it was shown in the instructions. I know it was in the overall carb rebuilt kit instructions but I don't have those with me right now so cant look.
Dan

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
It goes on the adjustment shaft where it exits the housing,

poulsbobill Bill K
Poulsbo, WA, USA   USA
I thought this didn't come with a rebuild kit. Mine didn't. I bought separately.

So slide it into the housing on the adjuster screw. All the way up. Purpose? too keep it tight?

Thanks

Bill

1980 Spitfire

poulsbobill Bill K
Poulsbo, WA, USA   USA
Figured it out. You take the screw out and their is an o ring on it. Right where you adjust it. Had to remove the screw to get to it.

Thanks
Bill

1980 Spitfire

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-13 12:56 PM by poulsbobill.

GriffinNC Dennis D
Greenville, SC, USA   USA
Wow, this is perfect timing for me. I just cracked open my rebuild kit for the bypass and it has the o-ring in it. I was trying not to pull the screw all the way out and mess up it's settings, but guess I will.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
The kit comes with a new spring so you have to adjust the valve float anyway.

It's really a simple device. It opens during times of excessive vacuum to prevent backfiring.

When you blip the throttle you will hear the engine SLOWLY go back down to idle.

poulsbobill Bill K
Poulsbo, WA, USA   USA
And actually you can adjust it as to how much burble the engines makes as it comes back to idle with that little screw.....FUN

Bill

1980 Spitfire

GriffinNC Dennis D
I'll double check, but I didn't see a new spring in the kit. Just the valve and gaskets.

In reply to # 1518753 by Doug in Vegas The kit comes with a new spring so you have to adjust the valve float anyway.

It's really a simple device. It opens during times of excessive vacuum to prevent backfiring.

When you blip the throttle you will hear the engine SLOWLY go back down to idle.

GriffinNC Dennis D
Please say some one has a picture or knows which way the brass piece goes in to the valve. When i unscrewed it it rolled out and I can’t remember which direction it goes. Hex side or tube side first.

Attachments:
DEE1E09D-3CA5-49DC-849E-3695E2390238.jpeg    32.4 KB
DEE1E09D-3CA5-49DC-849E-3695E2390238.jpeg

E4A7974E-B719-4B8A-92CB-D752CE16F376.jpeg    35.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
Hex side first.

The two hexes move closer or farther based on the turning of the threads in the center. This results in reversal of what you would expect. Counterclockwise is tightening pressure on the spring and clockwise loosens the tension.

poulsbobill Bill K
Poulsbo, WA, USA   USA
Yes, Pull the adjuster out to get to that o-ring. My kit did not come with a spring either.

Bill

1980 Spitfire

GriffinNC Dennis D
Woohoo I got it right..

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
The manual says the adjustment is just barely shut at idle.

They pull the dizzy vacuum line to gain a fast idle and use that to set the valve close tension through blipping the throttle. Replacing the line lowers the rpm to normal and increases the margin, thus preventing the valve from floating.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster