AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

philipheys Avatar
philipheys Phil Heys
Accrington, Lancashire, UK   GBR
Hi guys

I have the original oil dipstick fitted in my 73 spitfire I can't tell the oil level on the dipstick, does anyone have an alternative idea or ideas how to modify the original.

Thanks

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
I've considered a longer tube that allows you to pull a longer dipstick from a higher location.

Andy-Sherry Avatar
Andy-Sherry Gold Member Andy Martin
Portland, OR, USA   USA
I can measure the 2 lines on my 74 dipstick then you can make small mark with hacksaw blade on yours

Andy&Sherry
1974 Spit 1500 Carmine Red
1977 Spit 1500 Pink Panther Pink

Always learning something

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Voda2000 Avatar
Voda2000 Andrew McMillan
Winnipeg, MB, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1518509 by philipheys Hi guys

I have the original oil dipstick fitted in my 73 spitfire I can't tell the oil level on the dipstick, does anyone have an alternative idea or ideas how to modify the original.

Thanks

My snowmobile had a hole drilled through at the high mark. Easy to see if the hole is covered in oil.

1978 Triumph Spitfire

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, FL, USA   USA
That, or use a needle file to make grooves.
Best time is after an oil change, because you can easily calibrate it to -1 qt by only adding 3 qts, etc.

Spity Avatar
Spity John Biek
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
Here is the dipstick from my '73. Hope that helps. john

Attachments:
IMG_20180312_185612.JPG    23.4 KB
IMG_20180312_185612.JPG

IMG_20180312_185518.JPG    34.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Born Loser Avatar
Born Loser Silver Member Matthew Taylor
Land O Lake, FL, USA   USA
In reply to # 1518509 by philipheys Hi guys

Thanks

I am not following what you are saying. Are you saying you cant see the 2 marks? Are you saying you dont see oil on the dipstick? Or are you saying your not sure what the oil level on the dipstick means?

Matthew
1960 Triumph TR3a
1970 Triumph Spitfire MK 3
2012 Mini Cooper SS Convertible
2018 Jaguar F-Pace

roncohudd Avatar
roncohudd Gold Member Ronald Huddleston
Muenster, TX, USA   USA
1967 Triumph Spitfire "Lucy"
1969 Triumph Spitfire MkII "Lucifer"
1997 Ford Ranger "Little Red"
2001 Yamaha MC XV1600A "NOT THE HONDA"    & more
Does the 1147.hold exactly 4 pts including filter?

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
4 quarts?

'S all for now
Vic

Lizzard d id
san jose, CA, USA   USA
On the porsche 964 they have a gauge on the dash , you can see / read the oil level like a gas tank gauge tells you the fuel level but it being a dry sump system the reading is only good at idle , at speed it reads empty , so you can dump overboard all the oil at speed and the gauge doesn't indicate an empty . With the same sort of system on a wet sump spitfire the reading would go up and down as the oil moved forward and back , but it would be better than nothing I guess .

roncohudd Avatar
Muenster, TX, USA   USA
Yes qts. Duh look before sending

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, FL, USA   USA
In reply to # 1518580 by roncohudd Does the 1147.hold exactly 4 pts including filter?

Depends on what filter you are using ...
All the Spitfire pans have the same dimensions.
I always use the large Ford style FL-1 filters with an adaptor.
Then add 3 quarts, run the motor to fill up the filter, and to check for leaks, then stop and add to the 'full' mark.
Because filters have anti drainback valves of differing effectiveness (including none at all), if you wait too long,
the reading can be up to a quart higher than when the motor is running and the filter is full.

Too much oil is bad because the oil will get aerated by the spinning crank/rods (think blender)
Too little is bad because the oil runs hotter, and is more likely to allow air to be sucked in by the pump
during 'enthusiastic' driving as it sloshes to one side in the pan.

roncohudd Avatar
Muenster, TX, USA   USA
Need to know the exact amount because I'm using a different dip stick. I'll mark the stick after fill and run.

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
Here's a question to the entire membership: Did the length of the tube in the block for the dipstick remain the same length through all years?

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, WA, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
In reply to # 1518748 by Doug in Vegas Here's a question to the entire membership: Did the length of the tube in the block for the dipstick remain the same length through all years?

It looks like they use the same part number for all the engines from Mk3 onward. (Canley's at least) They don't show a tube on the 1147 engine drawing.
Dan

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster