GT6 Damage sad smiley

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

jleclainche Jacques Le Clainche
Elbert, CO, USA   USA
La Deuche ne semble pas avoir beaucoup de degats... mais la Triumph, si.

I hope you can have both fixed.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Guilhem Avatar
Guilhem Guilhem Clerc
Marnaz, Rhone Alpes, France   FRA
In reply to # 1518481 by Lizzard The 2cv needs to be cleaned up and driven . You know they cost an arm and a leg over here ? Hard to find , hard to buy .

Its just his house who is dirty, i do not drive it much because it only have 4000km from new, i only add 500 km every year in general to keep it low mileage smiling smiley it was my grandmother’s car

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-12 11:33 PM by Guilhem.

Guilhem Avatar
Guilhem Guilhem Clerc
In reply to # 1518493 by Wolfcreek Steve I've got parts, but I'm a long way from France! (and don't know anything about international shipping)

Thank you to everyone for your answer, the inssurance will come next week, and i will have more info on what they will do for me, but it is a verry good news that some parts are available even if it is far from me.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
65or66 Jim B
Lake village, IN, USA   USA
1965 Triumph Spitfire MkII
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Jusanudda Munny Pit"
Guilhem, I know how long it has taken you to get your car to this point, so we really hate to see that!!

try to make sure the repairs are by real 'body men', who know and use hammers and dollies. The guys with the 'drill and pull' and bondo may be your insurance companies friend, but they are your worst enemy.

I don't know how insurance repairs work in France, but it may take some negotiation with the insurance company and the repair shop to get a solution that is acceptable for you.

Best of luck with it all.

tmpass Avatar
tmpass Tim P
Medway, MA, USA   USA
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "Capo"
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "Blue Oxide"
That top part of the valence (hatch opening) is part of the roof so no replacement panels are available unless you have a donor car.. and it appears you do from Steve's stack-O-GT6's''

Lower valence is available... but you really need to find a good body shop that doesn't just replace panels and paint. you need skilled metal worker.

RobTAR Robert I
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1518746 by tmpass That top part of the valence (hatch opening) is part of the roof so no replacement panels are available unless you have a donor car.. and it appears you do from Steve's stack-O-GT6's''

Lower valence is available... but you really need to find a good body shop that doesn't just replace panels and paint. you need skilled metal worker.

I'm really surprised no has created a pressing for that piece. from the lower valance up to about the bottom third of the hatch opening would be a helpful piece.

tmpass Avatar
tmpass Tim P
Medway, MA, USA   USA
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "Capo"
1970 Triumph GT6+ (MkII) "Blue Oxide"
In reply to # 1518759 by RobTAR
In reply to # 1518746 by tmpass That top part of the valence (hatch opening) is part of the roof so no replacement panels are available unless you have a donor car.. and it appears you do from Steve's stack-O-GT6's''

I'm really surprised no has created a pressing for that piece. from the lower valance up to about the bottom third of the hatch opening would be a helpful piece.

yep, mine has a dent and some pinhole rot around the lower edge... which led to water getting on to the interior "shelf" where the lower valence is welded on to upper. its kinda messy in there now.

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
SAINT LOUIS, MO, USA   USA
1978 Triumph 1500 "BLK-BRY"
In reply to # 1518759 by RobTAR I'm really surprised no has created a pressing for that piece. from the lower valance up to about the bottom third of the hatch opening would be a helpful piece.

Not surprising at all.... Economics... Supply/Demand..... Would you, as a business owner, make the dies for a part that might, maybe, probably not - provide you with a half dozen orders per year at best? And, if you did.... How much would you have to charge for it.....

Z

Efp Avatar
Efp John Walsh
London, UK   GBR
Sadly, have to agree with Steven Z. I’m not a GT6 owner, but don’t thing that area is one of the notorious rust spots that would generate a healthy level of demand. Even the front roof gutter area that does seem to be a common failing doesn’t seem to rise to that level. Press tooling is incredibly expensive to create.

As I understand it, TD Fitchet here in the UK bought up the original press formers when the factory closed and supply most other retailers with batches of pressings as and when demand requires. It’s quite possible they actually have the required jigs for that panel, but as Z says, it’s not worth their while to set up a run of maybe a dozen units. The day may eventually come but I wouldn’t hold my breath if I were you, given the small and declining number of GTs surviving.
You’d probably be better off finding a skilled metal working panel beater who could fabricate one from scratch.

RobTAR Robert I
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1519067 by Efp Sadly, have to agree with Steven Z. I’m not a GT6 owner, but don’t thing that area is one of the notorious rust spots that would generate a healthy level of demand. Even the front roof gutter area that does seem to be a common failing doesn’t seem to rise to that level. Press tooling is incredibly expensive to create.

As I understand it, TD Fitchet here in the UK bought up the original press formers when the factory closed and supply most other retailers with batches of pressings as and when demand requires. It’s quite possible they actually have the required jigs for that panel, but as Z says, it’s not worth their while to set up a run of maybe a dozen units. The day may eventually come but I wouldn’t hold my breath if I were you, given the small and declining number of GTs surviving.
You’d probably be better off finding a skilled metal working panel beater who could fabricate one from scratch.

When looking for GT6s if not completely restored more often than not that ledge exhibits some sort of rust damage, the holes for the rear badges are just above it. If I had a good section it probably wouldn't be too hard to sand cast two halves of a pressing. Or at least one half to metal beat over like the Indians do.

Guilhem Avatar
Guilhem Guilhem Clerc
The 2cv is today at the shop waiting for the insurance expert, it will be next week for the gt6.

Gt6s Avatar
Gt6s Laurence Cochrane
Newtownards, UK   GBR
1972 Triumph GT6 MkIII "2600 EFI"
1973 Triumph GT6 MkIII "2500"
1976 Triumph Spitfire "Sixfire 2500"
That whole rear end of the Gt6 will pull out in tact no problem. No need to change the valance as it will be better still fitted for pulling, to stop the upper roof panel distorting while pulling. The front wing can also be saved. From what I see I would be inclined to remove the inner wheel arches lay bonnet wing down flat on the floor on top of a sheet of plywood then push it out from the inside. Seen worse repaired. REPAIRED WORSE !

Laurence

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links