Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Spitfired Xtreme Michael Perry
Pinson, AL, USA   USA
Hello,

I thought I might introduce myself by saying that I am an old fart. And I am not new to Spitfires. I built my first one back in the early eighties with a Cosworth 2.5L 60° V6 from a Mercury Capri and a 4 speed manual. I put a lot of money into it and ended up getting married and it was sold to support the new family.

So now -family is mostly all grown and moved on -and my wife encouraged me to find another one and start new. So I am doing just that -with the goal of making it even better than my original one. The goal is to convert to Miata suspension -since I absolutely hated how the transverse leaf would react to 250hp. Wheel wrap was absolutely absurd.

I picked a 92 rear sub-frame and arms because I prefer A-arms to multi-link. And I picked the 1016 front pieces because they are stupidly lightweight and nearly all aluminum. The Miata suspension also gives me a huge choice of wheels -vs the very limited choice for Spitfire pattern.

First is a few photos of what I found for $600 to start with:

Success is a measure of determination!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
Vampire fangs! smileys with beer

Pinson, AL, USA   USA
Here are some photos of a few of the pieces I have purchased for the build;

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Pinson, AL, USA   USA
Narrowing the rear subframe:

Here it is all jigged up for welding:

I took out exactly 8" which will put the wheel track at stock Spitfire width with the wheels/tires I bought. The front may be a little more tricky since there won't be a subframe to narrow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-11 04:17 PM by Spitfired Xtreme.

Pinson, AL, USA   USA
Torsen is the only way to go for me -so I found a 1.8 Miata Torsen differential for $400 here locally. Here is the housing jigged up for welding. I plan to replace the two missing pieces of aluminum where there was a mismatch due to differences in width where the ends are re-joined:

I am all over the place with the design of this thing and so I don't know which way I will be going from one minute to the next. Original differential plan was CTS:

But after having the beast in-hand -I realized that it would be a very tight squeeze in the narrowed Miata subrame (actually an interference fit).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-11 04:35 PM by Spitfired Xtreme.

Pinson, AL, USA   USA
Here are a few of the arms as refinished and with poly bushings installed:

Polishing other aluminum pieces:

I still have yet to purchase the poly bushing kit for the front pieces. I am somewhat leery about removing stock bushings from aluminum. Steel is easy because you just burn them out. But you can't do that to aluminum. And I don't want to take any chance at damaging the pieces by pressing them out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-11 04:39 PM by Spitfired Xtreme.

alpecsa Avatar
alpecsa Alfredo Perezcalva
Versailles, KY, now in Mexico, USA   USA
Looking great

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
SAINT LOUIS, MO, USA   USA
1978 Triumph 1500 "BLK-BRY"
1. You're a glutton for punishment...
2. Most of us are "old farts" and can relate...
3. For $600 ---- You done good...
4. Good luck and keep us posted

Z

5. How did they attach the engine to the radiator with the thermostat housing on backwards??? (drinking smiley)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-11 04:41 PM by TheZster.

Pinson, AL, USA   USA
Thanks! I have a very long way to go. And I am almost locked into a cantilever shock design to keep things within the original Spitfire confines. I think it is also just a very cool touch. I have several different motorcycle shocks on hand as well as the fulcrum arm links they use in the rear swing arm. The links are perfect for a fulcrum arm in a cantilever suspension. There are so many types and geometry arrangements to choose from. I am currently locked onto the 08 and up Hayabusa shock. But not decided for a fulcrum arm yet.

I want to use push rods with Heim joints to go from the arm to the fulcrum arm so that I can offset one shock forward (but transverse) and one aft (also transverse) because there is not enough room across the top to put both shocks end to end. So I plan to make them parallel. And not all arms would work with a heim end. Some fulcrum arms are a single ear on bot ends and some are ear on one end and clevis (two ears) on the other. To use heims -it would need two ears (clevis).

Pinson, AL, USA   USA
In reply to # 1518237 by TheZster 1. You're a glutton for punishment...
2. Most of us are "old farts" and can relate...
3. For $600 ---- You done good...
4. Good luck and keep us posted

Z

5. How did they attach the engine to the radiator with the thermostat housing on backwards??? (drinking smiley)

3) Thanks. I thought I done good too since my last one was in worse shape when I started and I paid $800 for it.

5) I am not sure on that one -since I don't remember much about stock Spitfire construction. I hadn't even noticed if anything was backwards. I planned to pull all of that stuff and sell it off to help fund the build. The engine is supposed to be rebuilt. I will probably have to pull the head to verify. I hate to do that since it will cost me a head gasket -but I wouldn't want to describe it as something it isn't.

I am real pumped up about this one -because -once the frame and body modifications are done -it should come along very fast since I have everything I need to put it together. And these are the easiest cars to build anyway. I absolutely love them! Last one tipped the scales at 1500 lbs -and if you could keep the differential from exploding -it was the fastest car on the road where I was at the time.

P.S. Sandblasting a Spitfire frame has gone up in price a bit since the early eighties. I paid around $100 back then -and my first quote on this frame for this go around was $250 -350$. Ouch!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-11 05:09 PM by Spitfired Xtreme.

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
Keep us advised on the buy,sell,trade portion of the forum..... Lots of folks here (including me) would love to have a spare block/head laying around for use....

Z

Pinson, AL, USA   USA
In reply to # 1518248 by TheZster Keep us advised on the buy,sell,trade portion of the forum..... Lots of folks here (including me) would love to have a spare block/head laying around for use....

Z

I suppose I could do that. I had originally intended to just list it here locally on CL. But if there is a greater need elsewhere and if something for transport could be arranged -I guess I could do that.

But I NEVER trust a guy selling a car who says -the engine was completely rebuilt. And I guess I would trust that even less if they put a thermostat housing on backwards!

P.S. And let's not forget -what looks to be paint brushed enamel from a can!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-11 05:15 PM by Spitfired Xtreme.

Pinson, AL, USA   USA
Here is a shot of frame with body removed:

I forgot to mention that after I have the frame sandblasted and rear subframe spliced in -I plan to have it powdercoated. There is a company here that can powdercoat extremely large items. Last time I was in his shop -they had a Hum Vee up on a rotisserie coming out of the oven. WOW! You don't see that every day!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-11 05:20 PM by Spitfired Xtreme.

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
Matches your Home depot bucket pretty well.... LOL

Pinson, AL, USA   USA
In reply to # 1518254 by TheZster Matches your Home depot bucket pretty well.... LOL

That is not a Home Depot bucket -that is a body quadrant support!

P.S. Anyone reading this -happen to know if there has ever been a thread here showing how to make a rotisserie from two engine stands and how to attach to the body? I saw a photo of similar in a google search -but didn't find anything on how they made it. I would also like to find out what attach points they found that are structurally suitable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-03-11 05:45 PM by Spitfired Xtreme.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links