AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Brad.Cogan Avatar
Brad.Cogan Bradley Cogan
RAF Cosford, Shropshire, UK   GBR
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Wray"
1989 Toyota MR2 "Coral"
2007 Fiat Grande Punto "Pepper"
If I were you I'd upgrade to Land Rover Freelander I studs as they are waaaaay beefier than either the Spitfire or TR6 studs.

These studs don't require drilling or anything like that either and just press straight into the Spitfire hubs using a deep socket w/ vice or stack of washers w/ nut.

You can torque load them to much higher figures safely too.

Brad Cogan

1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500 'Wray'
1989 Toyota MR2 Mk1b AW11 1600 twin cam
2007 Fiat Grande Punto Active 1.2 'Pepper'

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
Here's what I ended up with.
They pulled in very snug and the Locktite will make it pretty hard to get out.
There should be no problem with running out of thread, as can be seen. The rear will fit prefect as well, all need to be cut to length but if you want the longer stud for mags, a bit more effort will be required.
You can see how much improvement is made and I like the fine thread, the M12 x1.5 is course, still works.
These are .95 cents apiece from Rock Auto is a box of 10, I got two boxes with shipping was $26.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

Attachments:
CIMG0160.JPG    58.3 KB
CIMG0160.JPG

CIMG0161.JPG    30.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
CIMG0162.JPG    49.3 KB
Fictioneer Avatar
Fictioneer Doug Hirt
Colorado Springs, CO, USA   USA
In reply to # 1517481 by trrdster Here's what I ended up with.
They pulled in very snug and the Locktite will make it pretty hard to get out.
There should be no problem with running out of thread, as can be seen. The rear will fit prefect as well, all need to be cut to length but if you want the longer stud for mags, a bit more effort will be required.
You can see how much improvement is made and I like the fine thread, the M12 x1.5 is course, still works.
These are .95 cents apiece from Rock Auto is a box of 10, I got two boxes with shipping was $26.

Hi Wayne,
What do you mean by, "but if you want the longer stud for mags, a bit more effort will be required." ? From your photo they appear to be longer than standard. Do you have a part number from RockAuto? Did you buy lug nuts yet? I'm wondering if there is anything special about the shoulder we need to be aware of.
Doug

"Mr. Filby, do you think he'll ever return?"
"One cannot choose but wonder. You see . . . he has all the time in the world!"

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
Doug and all,
just mean, you will have to take off the roto to get them on the front and drill a hole in the back plate to get them in the rear at the length they are now. I will be cutting them off 7/16 inch so the acorn can bottom out on the wheel.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

JOEVACS Avatar
JOEVACS Joe Carter
Hickory, NC, USA   USA
Landrover Freelander studs is what I used.

roncohudd Avatar
roncohudd Gold Member Ronald Huddleston
Muenster, TX, USA   USA
1967 Triumph Spitfire "Lucy"
1969 Triumph Spitfire MkII "Lucifer"
1997 Ford Ranger "Little Red"
2001 Yamaha MC XV1600A "NOT THE HONDA"    & more
I've added a spacer to the rear hubs on my spitfire and couldn't find studs quite long enough. Made 8 for the rear an had them nickel plated. Dorman on the front.

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
All, I'm going to follow up on this, as there is some inconsistency in my hubs, front and rear.
I had a extra hub I was using to get measurements and trying the new studs. This must have been a original and the tightness around the knurl was different in the ones on the car by a few thousands. You would think that would be OK, maybe with Loctite, but I had the unfortunate situation were the first one I tried was a good snug one. Giving me the impression all was well. Not the case, as a couple have turned and the others just slide in and out.
So unless you have all new hubs don't use these 610 320 ones, as the .505 knurl will need to be glued in place, should work but that one time you are on the road and have to change out a wheel, will be the one time you have trouble.
Lesson learned for me, check more than one place on a 40 year old car, S... happens along the way.
Looks like the 610 240 with a M13 or .511 may be the ticket, just a little short for the mag wheeler as only 1 1/4 inch, OK, for my bolt on wires because I had to cut these down to 1 1/2 to get in the front hub and had lots of thread. The recommended was 8 threads on the acorn lugs. I'll buy one and check it out.
Just wanted to give a heads up in case someone down the road reads this and gets in a jam or waste a lot of money.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8

OFRacer Avatar
OFRacer Mike H
Poughkeepsie, NY, USA   USA
Wayne, I'm in the middle of upgrading the front hubs to the longer, Dorman 610-156 studs. I needed to drill the holes out just a bit from stock, to 35/64". I test fitted one stud in an old hub and it worked fine so I drilled the race car hubs yesterday and, while they're apart, painted them today with engine hi temp black. The actual measurements are in the table below. One more mod, you need to grind a small, 1/8"-1/4" spot on one side of the stud so it clears the hub.

Actual measurements
Stock Spit stud
Knurled part - 0.521 "
Shank - 0.496"

Dorman 610-168
Knurled part - 0.512 "
Shank - 0.493"

Dorman 610-156
Knurled part - 0. 566"
Shank - 0.544"

drill - 35/64"

Attachments:
Notch.JPG    24.1 KB
Notch.JPG

Compare.JPG    30.7 KB
trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
Mike, Thanks and good information.
I'm trying to keep with the M12 x1 2.5 thread, as I already have the black acorns for that size and they look great. Oh well, might have wasted another $25 and so it goes on the experiments, might get the 7/16 studs and lugs if these newer ones don't work.
I need to get this car painted and put together and forget all this thinking. LOL

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8

OFRacer Avatar
OFRacer Mike H
Poughkeepsie, NY, USA   USA
My back axles are custom Summit Bros for racing and I spec'd them out to use 7/16 studs so they'd match the fronts. If I was doing the entire car over, I'd consider the Defender lugs as well, after all the car is British.

mike h

JohnW63 John Williamson
Apple Valley, CA, USA   USA
I didn't need to cut or grind a flat spot on my Dorman studs for a Freelander , when I put them on a GT6. Is there a hub difference on the GT ? They took some real wrenching with a socket to get them in, so I HOPE they won't give me problems on the road.

Home of the 1969 GT6+ MK II resurrection project
and a sorry looking 1968 GT6+ parts car trying to stay whole.

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
John, there is some difference in the GT6 and Spitfire hubs, but I think it is the bearings, but will check my Spitfire ones to see if the clearance is different on that inside shelf.
Interesting thing happened today. Went to Oreilly's for the 710240's and they had 17 as I was told. well 11 were my number and a mix on the other 6.
Now it got even more interesting, they had a 710320 in there and it was spot on .505 on the knurl. The 710240's which list the knurl as M13 or .512 were .502, smaller than the 320's. All the 240's were within .001.
The clerk was a little dumbfounded that I was questioning stuff right out of the box and proving it wrong.
He has ordered two boxes and they should be here Friday, sure hate to go to Dorman and tell them, but it has cause me a lot of trouble and not happy. If these don't work out right out of the box a difference of .010 could cause problems for all the original owners in the Nissan line, which these fit.
It's never easy, should have just gone with the 7/16 size.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
OK, 2 new unopened boxes from Dorman of the 240's and not one was over .504. So that is over thirty checked and not one in specs.
I will be calling them Monday, to late today.
Staying with the fine thread is out, unless they can make up a set that's good . If they were right all would be fine.
Found a .515 knurl,if that is true, on a length I won't have to cut in the M12 1.5 (710340) . I'll check first chance I get. Good thing I'm waiting on paint, so no rush on this.
Lots of others to try, thanks to all the advise.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links