Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Spitfire71 Avatar
Spitfire71 Gold Member Ray Hiett
Reno, NV, USA   USA
Just bought a very nice set of 14in Panasports and tires from a fellow Spitfire owner. They rubbed and he didn't want to beat on his very nice fenders. Problem is I want (need) to upgrade to larger 7/16in studs. My parts supplier was conserned about the material left on the rear flange if I drilled out the stud holes to accept the TR6 stud. Thoughts?
Ray Hiett

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
In reply to # 1517016 by Spitfire71 Just bought a very nice set of 14in Panasports and tires from a fellow Spitfire owner. They rubbed and he didn't want to beat on his very nice fenders. Problem is I want (need) to upgrade to larger 7/16in studs. My parts supplier was conserned about the material left on the rear flange if I drilled out the stud holes to accept the TR6 stud. Thoughts?
Ray Hiett
Ray,
Check Andy Martin's posts on the subject. I'm pretty sure the spline on the TR stud is the same as the Spitfire spline. So no drilling required. Or at least the flange doesn't have to be drilled. You may find drilling a hole in the brake back plate the easiest way to get the longer studs installed. At the front I think you'll pull the hubs and unbolt the rotors to install the studs.
All the best,
Paul

Andy-Sherry Avatar
Andy-Sherry Gold Member Andy Martin
Portland, OR, USA   USA
yup they fit right in I just had to loosen the backing plate,but I did have a taper cut on them

Andy&Sherry
1974 Spit 1500 Carmine Red
1977 Spit 1500 Pink Panther Pink

Always learning something

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
stud comparison 2.JPG    27.8 KB
stud comparison 2.JPG

stud comparison.JPG    31.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Spitfire71 Avatar
Reno, NV, USA   USA
Such quick replies and great info. Thanks guys

Spitfire71 Avatar
Reno, NV, USA   USA
Thanks guys. Great info and quick too

OFRacer Avatar
OFRacer Mike H
Poughkeepsie, NY, USA   USA
This post had me looking at the studs on the race car (63 spit). They were upgraded years ago but for safety sake I replaced them today. Dorman P/N 610-168 is a direct, same length as stock (1 19/32"winking smiley 7/16 diameter replacement. The shoulder is 1/8 longer (5/8" vs 3/8"winking smiley so it sticks out a little but the nuts don't go all the way to the hub when an alloy wheel is on. There is a slightly longer 7/16" stud Dorman # 610-156. The shoulder is the same as stock, 3/8" , the length is a little more, 1 23/32" but the knurled part is slightly larger diameter, .577" vs .572" . My FLAPS (not a chain) had the 610-168s in stock for $2.25 each.

mike h

Fictioneer Avatar
Fictioneer Doug Hirt
Colorado Springs, CO, USA   USA
In reply to # 1517202 by OFRacer The shoulder is 1/8 longer (5/8" vs 3/8"winking smiley so it sticks out a little but the nuts don't go all the way to the hub when an alloy wheel is on.

Mike, do you think there would be a problem fitting these to the standard steel wheel? Or, would one have to cut the threads a wee bit deeper with an appropriate die?

Thanks,
Doug

"Mr. Filby, do you think he'll ever return?"
"One cannot choose but wonder. You see . . . he has all the time in the world!"

OFRacer Avatar
OFRacer Mike H
Doug, Good time to ask that question, I have the car on blocks with the wheels off. I put a steel wheel on and although I can see the shoulder through hole in the rim, the lug nuts don't run out of thread. I've attached a few pictures, I guess 4,000 words worth.

thanks
mike

Attachments:
Compare.JPG    22.1 KB
Compare.JPG

old wheels.JPG    36.2 KB
Profile.JPG    48.6 KB
P1012168.JPG    35.9 KB
Fictioneer Avatar
Fictioneer Doug Hirt
Colorado Springs, CO, USA   USA
Thanks Mike. That answers the question. I'll check my FLAPS to see if they have them in stock.
Doug

"Mr. Filby, do you think he'll ever return?"
"One cannot choose but wonder. You see . . . he has all the time in the world!"

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
Doug, if you will wait until tomorrow when I can get some pictures, we can see if my set up is going to work. Just got them in the mail.
They are M12x1.25, fine thread. Knurl is .505, which I don't understand the larger size stated above.
I will have to cut some off mine, as I'm using a acorn black lug on the black wire wheels.
Red lock tight should do the trick.
I'll let you know.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

OFRacer Avatar
OFRacer Mike H
Doug, don't forget you'll need new lug nuts as well. 7/16 -20 Right hand thread
Wayne, the dimensions for the knurled parts are from the Dorman catalog. The salesman (not sales kid, he's probably older than me) had an actual 2" thick, paper, Dorman parts catalog under the counter and had me looking through the correct section in 20 seconds.

Not like your usual chain store.

mike

trrdster Avatar
trrdster Wayne Tate
Spencer, NC, USA   USA
Mike, I just questioned that size because my holes measure .480 and I could have a problem getting in that size. We shall see.
Here is what I'm starting with. Dorman 610-320.

Wayne
1970 TR6
2000 Jaguar XK8
1949 Triumph Roadster 2000
1978 Spitfire (rust victim)
1971 GT6 (tarp covered for 12 years, rusted inside out)
1980 Spitfire (getting all the good GT6 parts, all poly suspension and Spax shocks)

Attachments:
CIMG0159.JPG    22.4 KB
CIMG0159.JPG

OFRacer Avatar
OFRacer Mike H
I measured the shank, not the knurled part, a few days ago, and it was in the 0.49 range so we're in the same ball park. I'll try to get to the garage today and give you some accurate readings of the 7/16" and 3/8" studs. It's snowing now and we're expecting 12+ inches.

thanks
mike

OFRacer Avatar
OFRacer Mike H
I found the 610-156 studs on e bay last night, a 10 pack for $13 delivered. They should be here by the weekend, I'll post pictures and measurements then.

Order Details

Dorman - Wheel Stud
Wheel Stud by DormanĀ®. Thread Size: 7/16"-20. Knurl Diameter: 0.557". Under Head Length: 1.719". Material: Steel. Packaging Contents: 10 Pieces in Box.

mike h

Attachments:
610_156.jpg    12.5 KB
610_156.jpg

OFRacer Avatar
OFRacer Mike H
Damn the snow, I went to the garage and got a few measurements. I don't have any hubs right now with the studs out so I can't get any interior measurements. The dorman replacement stud looks to be slightly smaller in diameter where it sits in the hub but I've been using them for 15+ years and never had one get loose. This is a race car, the tires come on and off, with an impact wrench, and are torqued to 45 Lbs multiple times every race weekend. If they were going to twist, I'd know it by now.

Stock Spit stud
Knurled part - 0.521 "
Shank - 0.496"

Dorman 610-168
Knurled part - 0.512 "
Shank - 0.493"

thanks
mike h

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1974 Triumph TR6

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links