"79 Spitfire-help in installing new seat covers

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

aebreard Armand Breard
Monroe, LA, USA   USA
Purchased GTSRK96/BLK Cloth seat kit, strap & foam kit from Roadster Factory for the
'79 Spit. Although 2 pages of instructions were included, and even with my large magnifying glass, I'm having trouble finishing the job. The illustration shows
that the wire frames are handed, & I think I have them right. Anyone out there that has used this kit before sucessfully? Would appreciate any help/advice.
Since I bought the complete seats from a salvage yard, I don't know L or R, but the seat backs have cuts on each side for the adjusting lever, and I obviously
have 2 R's or 2 L's, but looks they will go on the runners OK. Thanks, Armand

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
N5329K Avatar
N5329K Silver Member Robin White
Pacific Grove, CA, USA   USA
On my '78, the foam seat bottoms sit flush, or even, with the rails along the outboard (door) side, and overhang the rails on the inner, or driveshaft side. So yes, the foams are definitely "handed." Not sure if the wire frames underneath are also handed.
Robin

aebreard Armand Breard
Monroe, LA, USA   USA
Yes, it appears that the wire frames are "handed", and I really appreciate your fast response to help. Not sure if the foam is "handed", and I still have to deal with
the issue that I have either 2-LH's or 2-RH's. Roadster Factory was absolutely no help, telling me that they had never installed the kit. So, I am dependent on responses like yours to help; otherwise have to take them to Upholstery shop to finish. Thank you very much! Armand

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
You can tell the "handedness" by the lean. Spitfire seats lean towards each other to clear the hood mechanism. The inner hinge is cantilevered up and over to clear the frame at the back.

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, WA, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
This is a shot of an old pair of seats. They will give a bit of an idea about the "leaning toward each other" definition. These are 69 seats and the laters have the separate headrests.
Dan

Attachments:
blue 69 seats.JPG    75.7 KB
blue 69 seats.JPG

aebreard Armand Breard
Monroe, LA, USA   USA
Thank you very much! Armand

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1980 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links