Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

colodad Avatar
colodad Silver Member Calvin Williams
Grand Junction, CO, USA   USA
edit to my first post: "for the sake of future readers, and those that think the tappets can be removed with the head still bolted to the block---
you can not remove the tappets (aka lifters) because part of the head is over the hole that houses the tappet"

Thanks Tony. I did post my findings there of the cam and tappets I removed before the rebuild.
I will not be posting tappet photos at this time. I do need to see how they have faired at this point, if I am pushed to pursue replacements.
These tappets were supplied with the cam.
Canley supplier Powertune cam office is closed till monday.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
cwIMG_3681 tappet is blocked.jpg    37.5 KB
cwIMG_3681 tappet is blocked.jpg

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, FL, USA   USA
In reply to # 1512411 by colodad edit to my first post: "for the sake of future readers, and those that think the tappets can be removed with the head still bolted to the block---
you can not remove the tappets (aka lifters) because part of the head is over the hole that houses the tappet"

Thanks Tony. I did post my findings there of the cam and tappets I removed before the rebuild.
I will not be posting tappet photos at this time. I do need to see how they have faired at this point, if I am pushed to pursue replacements.
These tappets were supplied with the cam.
Canley supplier Powertune cam office is closed till monday.

You will need a new cam.
The cam lobes and tappets mate to one another as part of the break-in and running process, and should be kept as an ordered set of 9 pieces.
So unless those tappets can be refaced and hardened and you are willing to pay for that, they are all scrap, or spares of last resort.
Also, it's possible (likely) that the tappets were what ate the cam lobes, and if their faces were soft enough to do that,
the material underneath after facing will be as soft or softer.

HTH,
Carter

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
As Carter says, I fear there is a good chance your lifters may look like these.

That is bound to take it's toll on your cam no matter what it is.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Pitted_lifters.jpg    32 KB
Pitted_lifters.jpg

lifters_5_and_6.jpg    35.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_6121.jpg    33.4 KB
MGB-tappets_worn-on-left.jpg    67.8 KB
clshore Carter Shore
It really does not matter how good your old lifters look.
New lifter faces are finished to 50 microns or better.
Even when my eyes were young and sharp, I couldn't spot differences that small.

Those tappets are no longer suitable for any other cam, whether new or used, unless you have them refaced.
Resign yourself to obtaining a new set now for your new cam, unless you fancy doing this same dance again.
I'd buy the best set that you can find (or afford).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-09 07:44 PM by clshore.

GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
In reply to # 1512386 by Tonyfixit
I should point out though, many people have a lot of hate for Lucas products.

Lucas is the only reason my 1500 still runs. When I "built" my motor it was completely shot. My lifters looked like the ones pictured and one even stopped turning (I had what appeared to be flakes of lifter face in bearings and oil passages). I didn't have time or funds to go completely through it and just needed it back together so I could still move it around. I decided to drive it some as what the hell, the whole thing was junk and I was going to build another motor anyway. Well, that was 26K ago with no change in valve clearance bigger than .001-.002 and that's just with one check two weeks ago. I ran a heavy zinc content the first 10K or so so that helped too. The car still runs strong despite heavy blow-by and sounding like crap above 6K (which I'll never do again).

This "build" was an experiment of just how far old worn out junk parts could go. I figured I'd be lucky to see 500 miles. Little did I know....

I will say this, EVERYTHING was cleaned prior to reassembly to "space shuttle" standards.

Calvin, I really hate to see you having trouble.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-09 08:03 PM by GeorgeOhr.

colodad Avatar
The original 18-58-58-18 camshaft and tappets in 2015, has 77,900 miles on the engine.

2 lobes are 40 percent worn away, and those 2 tappets were dished and large pits.

I just published a closer vid of the 2015 camshaft lobes and tappets, some tappets are pitted but the mated lobes are smooth, maybe the tappet fails first.

I understand, new cam needs new tappets, but no more re-grinds for my spitfire.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-11 09:32 PM by colodad.

Attachments:
cwIMG_5919 1-4, 18-58-58-18, 9-6-2015.jpg    38.8 KB
cwIMG_5919 1-4, 18-58-58-18, 9-6-2015.jpg

cwIMG_5922 5-8, 18-58-58-18, 9-6-2015.jpg    37.5 KB
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
In case you have not seen it, there is an interesting recent thead here:

http://www.triumphexp.com/phorum/read.php?2,1507406

clshore Carter Shore
In reply to # 1512648 by Tonyfixit In case you have not seen it, there is an interesting recent thead here:

http://www.triumphexp.com/phorum/read.php?2,1507406

Pay close attention to the posts by Kai, #15, #19, #20, #26, #27, #30

scardini1 Avatar
scardini1 Gold Member Jim Moscardini
Great Mills, MD, USA   USA
1968 Triumph GT6 "Rocinante"
2003 Jaguar XKR "Kitty"
Nuts. I paid top dollar for new Tappets when I put the S2 regrind cam in. Now you guys have me worrying that either or both of them could go bad. Oh well, I've gotten almost 10K miles on her all since completion, so at least she hasn't grenaded yet.

clshore Carter Shore
FWIW, borescopes have become so ridiculously cheap, you can easily take a look for yourself.
(I have a Kangaroo unit that features a .22" diameter camera head, fit's most places I'm interested in. It was $27 on Amazon)
Alternatively, a magnetic oil pan plug will capture the ferrous swarf from such destruction,
or you can get a cutter to open up the oil filter cannister, and examine the 'entrails'.
The center hole is where oil exits, the surrounding holes are where oil enters.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-10 05:09 PM by clshore.

colodad Avatar
no coilbind Steve.

Attachments:
cwIMG_3798 checking for coilbind.JPG    53.8 KB
cwIMG_3798 checking for coilbind.JPG

SpitMan Avatar
SpitMan Silver Member Doug Walls
Brandywine, MD, USA   USA
1970 Triumph Spitfire MkIII "Lil' Red Fox"
1998 Chevrolet Corvette "Silver Fox"
2007 Chevrolet Silverado "Workhorse"
2013 Chevrolet Malibu "Pearl Baby"
Seems that the lifters are suspect. When I had D. Elgin grind mine, I sent my lifters with the cam to be inspected and nitrided as well as the camshaft.

Time will tell on mine; very little time on the engine currently. Sorry to hear of this type of misfortune.

grumpicus Steve Jackson
Leicester, Leicestershire, UK   GBR
In reply to # 1513238 by colodad no coilbind Steve.

Looks good to me!

When the lobes on my cam had failed, there was probably no coilbind, due to the tops of the lobes being worn away by the lifters..... eye rolling smiley

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
What valve springs were used?

Were these also supplied by Canley?

Still waiting to see those lifters ;-)

14GPDJENGINEERING Avatar
Silver Spring, MD, USA   USA
Calvin, where did you get the head nuts?

Dennis smiling smiley

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster