We're back! New secure web server is online   Read More
TRExp

Spitfire & GT6 Forum

Looking for an 8 port head for an 1147 engine!

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

ccren89 Avatar
ccren89 Colin Crenshaw
Keokuk, IA, USA   USA
I am building a Leman's Spitfire and I want to get the correct head so I can run the right carburetor set up. I currently have an 1147 engine with just the 6 port, completely rebuilt but unfortunately, dual webers cannot be run on this head -__-.
Thanks!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
spitlist Avatar
spitlist Joe Curry
Sahuarita, Sahuarita, AZ, USA   USA
Good Luck!

Lizzard d id
san jose, CA, USA   USA
I think / recall that there were like 6 of them in the world , or something like that . IE , unobtanium .

If you really want/need an 8 port you might want to look into a 1300 .

Down the page is some photos ...
http://clubtriumph.eu/cgi-bin/forum10/Blah.pl?v-print/m-1303072268/

If you were really into it you could maybe CNC some out of a big billet of aluminum .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-07 09:16 PM by Lizzard.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
ccren89 Avatar
ccren89 Colin Crenshaw
Keokuk, IA, USA   USA
Oh, I thought they made quite a few but were just semi-difficult to find

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
colin,
More than 6 were made, but expect a looooooonnnnnnggggg search and a high price. ISTR SAH made them for aftermarket sales in the UK.
Best of luck,
Paul

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, FL, USA   USA
If you have the time and money, could commission a custom head.
Nowdays with laser scanners, it's not so hard to capture a design, then use CAD to alter it to the desired configuration.
Once done, a 3D printer creates either sand molds or a wax investment casting 'plug', and the part is cast (Aluminum anyone?).
Still not cheap, but far less expensive than the legacy methods.

Realize that the 1147 8 port also featured a custom intake, since no production part existed at the time.

Carter

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-08 01:55 PM by clshore.

Lizzard d id
san jose, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1512029 by ccren89 I want to get the correct head ...
I might have misunderstood "the correct head", I jumped to a "correct" car and parts at a nit picker show . If you want something close to what they ran , a 1300 would be close but not "correct" , the nit pickers will say its the wrong motor / head / set up , etc . I on the other hand would say cool beans .

spitlist Avatar
spitlist Joe Curry
Sahuarita, Sahuarita, AZ, USA   USA
And if you do, make a number of them so you can recoup the investment and fill a big void in the availability of this item. There is a pent-up demand that remains unfilled.

In reply to # 1512091 by clshore If you have the time and money, could commission a custom head.
Nowdays with laser scanners, it's not so hard to capture a design, then use CAD to alter it to the desired configuration.
Once done, a 3D printer creates either sand molds or a wax investment casting 'plug', and the part is cast (Aluminum anyone?).

Realize that the 1147 8 port also featured a custom intake, since no production part existed at the time.

Carter

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
SAINT LOUIS, MO, USA   USA
Yeah.... and I want to modify my 1500 spit so it will handle a Holly 850 dbl pumper set up....spinning smiley sticking its tongue outconfused smiley

Good luck...

Z

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-09 05:18 PM by TheZster.

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, FL, USA   USA
In reply to # 1512438 by spitlist And if you do, make a number of them so you can recoup the investment and fill a big void in the availability of this item. There is a pent-up demand that remains unfilled.

In reply to # 1512091 by clshore If you have the time and money, could commission a custom head.

Carter

You bet!
If I was a younger man and still had ambition, I'd do a startup offering such services.

For example, the Honda D16 DOHC 16v motor has virtually the same bore and stroke as a Spitfire 1500, makes about double the power.
But the bore pitch and head stud pattern is just enough different that it would be very hard to fit to a Spitfire block.
However, if you were to scan the head into a high definition 3D model, you could use a CAD program to move things around to fit,
while keeping things like the mating faces of the intake and exhaust ports, so that the Honda manifolds would bolt right on.

Custom bellhousing to mate motor A to transmission B?
No problem.

Etc ...

GeorgeOhr Nonya Business
Yes, confused, USA   USA
In reply to # 1512115 by Lizzard
In reply to # 1512029 by ccren89 I want to get the correct head ...
I might have misunderstood "the correct head", I jumped to a "correct" car and parts at a nit picker show . If you want something close to what they ran , a 1300 would be close but not "correct" , the nit pickers will say its the wrong motor / head / set up , etc . I on the other hand would say cool beans .

and I would kindly direct said pickers to how they could in fact become suckers. winking smiley

VitesseEFI Avatar
VitesseEFI Nick Jones
Yeovil, Somerset, UK   GBR
Why not use a 1296 engine. Look much the same from the outside, come with an 8 port head and manifolds for twin Webbers are available......

Nick

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
In reply to # 1512605 by VitesseEFI Why not use a 1296 engine. Look much the same from the outside, come with an 8 port head and manifolds for twin Webbers are available......

Nick
Nick,
I have seen just that done to "re-create" a Le Mans Spitfire using a GT6 as the basis. I felt somewhat disappointed seeing it. There were too many glaring differences to make it a convincing job.
All the best,
Paul

claytoncnc Avatar
claytoncnc Gold Member Marcus Clayton
Melbourne, Ivanhoe, Australia   AUS
I have the manifold gasket off one here. Unfortunately the head is attached to a very Historic Spitfire here, raced by Brian Sampson in the day.
It is a works car, with alloy panels, and was owned by AMI the local assemblers of Triumph.

I do not know whether it was built in England, or came here as a kit.

I suspect the latter

The period shot of the car is courtesy of Andy Ansell, of Triumph Sportscars.
He looks after that particular car now.

Attachments:
IMG_5299.JPG    25.6 KB
IMG_5299.JPG

Works Spitfire.jpg    48.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1974 Triumph TR6

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links