AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Weber spacer.... Quickie...
  This topic is about my 1978 Triumph 1500
TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
SAINT LOUIS, MO, USA   USA
1978 Triumph 1500 "BLK-BRY"
I shoulda known better.... working on the starting/idling issues on the Weber..... Either won't start when cold - or won't start when warm... I can have one or the other....

so - today, I'm piddling around - (currently runs good hot, but won't start cold).... and find the carb bolt is loose.... tighten it up - and the rpms increase noticeably.... (which is opposite of what I would expect from a minor vacuum leak) The 1/4" spacer under the carb is showing some wear.... I'm not going to worry about tuning the carb until I get all the potential leaks resolved....

The question is - do I need buy a new spacer.... or is it superfluous? I don't see any linkage issues without the spacer....

I've got a new 4/2/1 header on order - so I can change the exhaust/intake manifold when I make the swap - then eliminate all the other potential issues....

Also rethinking the crank vent that I ran into the intake manifold via a 1/16 orifice from the valve cover.... Closing it off results on lower rpm (naturally)... Maybe I should move to a breather/vent/vapor canister.... (fix one issue - create another one).... h,mmmmmmm

thoughts?

Z

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
All bets are off with a loose carb. Clamping it down can increase flow and thus draw more fuel or simply less air. Adjustment follow regardless when you find and plug a vacuum leak.

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
I agree 100%.... and was embarrassed to admit it.... as I just rebuilt the carb and had the nuts down securely last week (or so I thought).... I think the spacer is shot....

Z

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
By "spacer" do you mean the insulator between the carb and the manifold?

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
Yep.... and by you using the term "insulator".... makes me think it's not an option - as the manifold is so close to the exhaust.... {ffffttttt)

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
In reply to # 1512018 by TheZster Yep.... and by you using the term "insulator".... makes me think it's not an option - as the manifold is so close to the exhaust.... {ffffttttt)

Fine sandpaper on a flat surface can cure minor imperfections.

A gasket on either side should take care of any leaks. A little soft permatex form-a-gasket and you should be fine.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1971 Triumph TR6

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links