Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Weezal12 Avatar
Weezal12 Jeff W
San mateo, FL, USA   USA
Want to change differential fluid in 1975 spitfire 1500 . From what I can see the only way is to pump old fluid out and pump new in . Any other way without pulling it out ??

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
No.

They didn't provide a stock drain. That's why many have installed one of their own.

clshore Carter Shore
Beverly Hills, FL, USA   USA
In reply to # 1511992 by Doug in Vegas No.

They didn't provide a stock drain. That's why many have installed one of their own.

Early Spitfire models had a drain, but it was deleted to save money.
You can remove the fill plug on the side and run in a piece of vinyl tubing to extract the old oil with a suction pump:

https://www.amazon.com/Wekster-Multi-Purpose-Transfer-Dipstick-Extractor/dp/B076TMQGMN/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1518045627&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=liquid+suction+pump&psc=1

Then reverse the flow to pump in the new oil.
It's full when the oil is level with the bottom of the fill plug hole.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Weezal12 Avatar
Weezal12 Jeff W
San mateo, FL, USA   USA
Thanks Doug

CraigL Avatar
CraigL Gold Member Craig Larsen
Santa Clara, CA, USA   USA
i drilled, threaded and installed a plug a few weekends ago. I am so glad I did although you don't need to change oil often. I would have to look at the drill and tap sizes I used (got them off this site). Be sure to use a variable speed drill. The torque of a regular drill may snap the drill bit off in the diff. Use a strong magnet to retrieve the metal particles from the drilling.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1967 Triumph Spitfire MkIII

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links