AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
SAINT LOUIS, MO, USA   USA
1978 Triumph 1500 "BLK-BRY"
Let's keep this one short if possible....

Driver's side window.... has about a full inch of play in and out at the top edge when raised. I pulled the door panels and see the window channels... with what appears to be a lot of slop in the vertical channels.... I've looked through the diagrams online... and can only find a "lower window guide (plastic piece) that attached at the bottom corners of the window channel.... would that be the issue? I do need to install my top wipers on the door - though the existing ones should be keeping the glass reasonably secure....

Could be the glazing strip in the bottom channel... but I can't see it very well.... could be shot.....but I can't imagine a strip along the bottom channel would hold the window secure from top to bottom on it's own....

Thoughts?

and Thx in advance

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, WA, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
Assuming the glass is still tightly seated in the bottom carrier rail the issue is mostly with those nylon/plastic guide pieces you see near the bottom from and rear edges. I have never seen those sold anywhere but then I have not looked long and hard either. You will see, eventually, that the front and rear channels narrow a lot in the last couple of inches at the top. The guide pieces fit into the narrowed area and should be snug there. I have attached a couple of pics that might help.
Dan

Attachments:
Guide Channel1.JPG    42.8 KB
Guide Channel1.JPG

nylong guide 5.JPG    29.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
Thanks, that helps a lot.... I found the guides via spitbits.... along with some assorted clips/washers/etc.... that I might as well replace while i'm in there.....

Now if it would just warm up so I can work inside that skinny door without gloves on.....

Z

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Lizzard d id
san jose, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1511716 by TheZster Now if it would just warm up so I can work inside that skinny door without gloves on.....
http://www.armytents.com/tents/tent-cpmod.html

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
Hahaha.... to funny!!

Warmed up to 28 today - almost put on my shorts and flip flops.... Did get a chance to look through (the small openings) the door into the window assembly... and eureka!! The guides are missing...... No wonder she flops around..... Order should be here soon.... so I can correct this problem and get my door upholstery started on... (I was going to do it myself - but found a "classic car upholstery shop" here that does amazing work at totally reasonable prices... (tuck and roll on the doors for $125/door.... including 3/8 Birch backing and modern plastic clips ( I almost fainted)...

They also have a master woodworker on staff who can do amazing things..... He suggested burl walnut door pulls instead of the ugly existing opening up the door (that trim parts seem to be non-existent).... He's also going to do door top caps out of walnut - cheaper than I can do it myself (and I'm a cabinet maker level carpenter myself)....

I think I found a jewel here......

I'll forward before/after photos along with prices...... Ya'll might be interested in some really nice stuff at great prices + cost of shipping....

Z

65or66 Jim B
Lake village, IN, USA   USA
1965 Triumph Spitfire MkII
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Jusanudda Munny Pit"
While you're in there you can look around for those door check brackets. If the portions that are welded inside the door are still there, then the little tabs have broken off and it's time to do some creative thinking.

You'll curse yourself for having big hands. The average Englishman's hands in the 50's and 60's must have been a bit smaller than mine. I've wondered if the Spitfire doors were the whole reason for all the labor unrest in 1970's Englandgrinning smiley

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
Outstanding point.... I get so involved in details that I sometimes miss the big picture....

I'm going to have to have something fabricated then tacked into place.... (I'm not a metalworker and haven't welded in 40 years....

Brackets look relatively simple.... Just got to find a good metal shop to work them up....

Thx for the reminder...

Z

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
Kudos to Dan... Great photos and great advice .... Got the new guides installed in the drivers door.... SWEET!!!.... smooth up and down (once I reversed the locknut on the new guide that interfered with the regulator assembly in the front of the door) (... LOL)... No wobble.... Almost like new!! Which is what I'm striving for....

"Minor critique:" Photo provided shows what looks like 3 guides along the bottom of the track... (two in place - one sitting higher than the others?) Either I did it wrong - or the photo is misleading.... One Nylon guide - towards the outside of the door will fit the channel perfectly.... (per my afternoon experience)....

Thanks to all for the help... Slowly moving "rattles aka blk bery" to blk bery aka rattles"... LOL

Z

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
In reply to # 1511705 by Yellowhawk Valley Assuming the glass is still tightly seated in the bottom carrier rail the issue is mostly with those nylon/plastic guide pieces you see near the bottom from and rear edges. I have never seen those sold anywhere but then I have not looked long and hard either. You will see, eventually, that the front and rear channels narrow a lot in the last couple of inches at the top. The guide pieces fit into the narrowed area and should be snug there. I have attached a couple of pics that might help.
Dan
[/quot

Here is a photo of my just repaired window.... You cannot see the nylon piece that attaches to the frame as it is on the "outside door" side of the window framing..... behind that brand new bolt/nut assembly.... I did set a spare nylon spacer just below and to the left of the repaired spot.... for illustration purposes..

I've got to wonder... did Dan's photo (which appeared to have a nylon spacer on both sides of the frame) indicate a different year/model than my 78 spit...???

I dunno.... but my "half spacer" fit the channel perfectly (on the outside of the door panel v the inside).... and the window is smooth as silk with no wobble...

Z

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-09 05:12 PM by TheZster.

Attachments:
IMG_0347[1].JPG    46.2 KB
IMG_0347[1].JPG

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
My camera won't get inside the door to show the new nylon spacer...... So I'll try to explain:

Spacer is on the "outboard" side of the window framing - and inside the vertical channels.... On my 78 spit - nothing else will work.... There is a milled "groove" on the flat side of the spacer that fits properly into ridges on the frame itself..... 1/4 - 20 bolt and lock nut are all required to attach.. (my car was missing both spacers and associated fasteners - causing outrageous wobble in the window itself...)

On the front of the door/window mechanism - make sure the nut of the bolt is on the inboard side... else the lock nut interferes with the regulator mechanism - causing the window to lock up as it goes up. Tough getting your hands in there - but that's what it is....

Hope this helps someone down the road...

Z

Yellowhawk Valley Avatar
walla walla, WA, USA   USA
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Walla Walla"
1969 Triumph Spitfire "Portland"
1972 Triumph Spitfire MkIV "Spokane"
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Dayton"    & more
Steven, I should have mentioned that my photos were of a 69 car so the arrangement changed a little but is generally the same idea. I have a set of 79 doors that I need to blow apart and reassemble for the photo options and knowledge base.
Glad it helped some anyway and that you got yours done well.
It is impossible to get good inside photos so I will do the 79 again with the innards all laid out on the bench.
Have fun!
Dan

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster