AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Matts67spit Avatar
Matts67spit Matt Burrow
Phoenix, AZ, USA   USA
1967 Triumph Spitfire MkII "Silver Bullet"
Hello all,

Now that I've got my renovations complete, I think I'm going to sell my Spitfire. Single dad now, tons of work, and just don't have the time for the tweaking and fixing effort needed for an older car.

Where's the best place to sell my newly renovated Spitfire?

All new interior, tons of new stuff in engine, hard top, roll bar, tannaeu cover, new chrome wire wheels, new tires. It is in awesome shape. Will get some engine pics up heresoon.

Also - what should I be expecting for a sales price,..down here in Phoenix/Scottsdale area?

Thanks!

Matt

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
File Jan 29, 8 19 28 AM.jpeg    59.1 KB
File Jan 29, 8 19 28 AM.jpeg

File Jan 29, 8 19 53 AM.jpeg    54.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
new makeover .jpeg    57.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Fictioneer Avatar
Fictioneer Doug Hirt
Colorado Springs, CO, USA   USA
Nice looking Spit. I like the color.
Doug

"Mr. Filby, do you think he'll ever return?"
"One cannot choose but wonder. You see . . . he has all the time in the world!"

N5329K Avatar
N5329K Silver Member Robin White
Pacific Grove, CA, USA   USA
I found Craigslist was fast and effective; I sold it twice that way, but changed my mind and kept it.
Too much fun to let it drive away.
You have a real nice looking car.
Robin

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
RPJ Avatar
RPJ Rick J
Santa Fe, NM, USA   USA
She's a real beauty, Matt. FYI, I track sales on BAT--or bringatrailer.com. Last week a nice 66 Spit sold for 10k. I can't recall if it was modified or mostly original, though I think the latter.

BraxtonO Avatar
BraxtonO Gold Member Braxton O
Raleigh, NC, USA   USA
That’s a great looking Spit. Can’t imagine getting it to that point and then selling. At the same time - I understand - they certainly are a time commitment. I second the mentions of Bring A Trailer BAT and Craigslist. I’ve purcased LBC’s on both - particularly like BAT - very affordable for seller, and broad exposure right at the target market. Good overall experience. And of course you can sell it here in the Cars For Sale section. I found my TR4A that way. All three will help you get a better idea of the expected value - for example you can search “Triumph Spitfire” on BAT and see all recent sales and prices - and compare condition to yours.

Tip - you’re obviosely a detail oriented person, it shows in the car - take some pictures in the same locations at or near dusk. It’s counterintuitive - you would think bright light is better - but you’ll be amazed how great it will make the Spit look. The silver color and the sharpe chrome wires - that car will really pop. It will sell itself.

Good luck.
Best,
Braxton

" You know - I love this thing. She's got a few leaks, but it's only the engine, gearbox, and the diff - so not too bad....."

billspit Bill Kea
Moore, Spartanburg, SC, USA   USA
Unfortunately a good sale price is probably 1/2 what you have in it. That's what I have found out.

Lizzard d id
san jose, CA, USA   USA
You might look into the big auctions ?
Hemmings has the results from the auctions , some of the prices are wild .

https://www.hemmings.com/subscribe/current-issue?publication=HMN&source=magazine1

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
SAINT LOUIS, MO, USA   USA
1978 Triumph 1500 "BLK-BRY"
Not sure about the auction route for a seller... as a buyer, I loved it.. ...... As I bought my daughter's 78 spit just before Christmas at auction..... I got her for $3900.... She's in superb condition... running....and needed nothing more than a new battery.....

It's all about supply/demand..... not much supply... but not much demand either.... Visit all the abovementioned web sites to get an idea of going prices..... then list it in multiple places - and see what "bites" you get....

Unfortunately - it's probably cheaper to keep her (as I said about my ex wife also.. LOL)

Z

mkivmarty Avatar
mkivmarty Marty Yanik
N.E.Ohio, USA   USA
In reply to # 1511634 by TheZster
Unfortunately - it's probably cheaper to keep her (as I said about my ex wife also.. LOL)

Z

It doesn't matter what it cost you, you are ALWAYS further ahead with an Ex.

No more court time or attorney fees (I hate the blood suckers, but when you need them you need them)

No jail time for killing her

More time to spend working on your car

I'm sure others will chime in on the advantages.

Marty

Lizzard d id
san jose, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1511634 by TheZster Not sure about the auction route for a seller... as a buyer, I loved it.. ......
If the seller puts a reserve price on it and the reserve isn't met , then the owner still owns the car . I see "reserve not met" in the reports from the big auctions .

TheZster Avatar
TheZster Steven Z
SAINT LOUIS, MO, USA   USA
1978 Triumph 1500 "BLK-BRY"
I've lost almost a dozen of auctions due to " reserve not met" - as the specific auction never listed the reserve price. Had I known what the reserve price - I could have saved a lot of time by not bidding - or bidding above reserve....

Not the point... point is... see what the "current value" is by doing research (Craig's list, local Triumph chapter, Hemmings, whatever)... and price it accordingly.... if not what you need/want..... don't expect to sell it....

Supply/demand..... and a car is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it.... regardless of what you've got into it....

Z

Smithisretired Avatar
Smithisretired Michael Smith
Wells, ME, USA   USA
I have found the auction route to be most productive when it comes to limited-availability iron, especially of a vintage nature. I'm not suggesting Barrett-Jackson or the other TV names that are more focused on trailer queens, but I have used ebay. Get an idea of what the car might be worth (the Hagerty tool is at least a start), then put it up with a reserve. If the reserve is not met, then at least you have the choice of pulling the car or letting it go below reserve. But the fact is that the auction mentality will drive people to do what they should not. Some people just have to win, and they will go beyond reason. This benefits the seller. I learned this during a seminar once when a colleague (a double-Harvard, no less!) bid $110 to win a $100 bill!

Spity Avatar
Spity John Biek
Fresno, CA, USA   USA
Matt, if you have an early hard top with the curved glass, that alone is worth a grand.

Two years ago I sold a67 mk2 rust bucket with a hard top I used Craigslist because it can be searched nationwide. A guy from colorado drove all the way to California and trailered it home. I got $500 for it...the car wasn't worth much but I should have looked into what those early hard tops go for and gotten more. john

spitlist Avatar
spitlist Joe Curry
Sahuarita, Sahuarita, AZ, USA   USA
Contact http://www.dctra.org/. There might be someone right there in the Phoenix area just waiting to buy your car.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1977 Triumph TR7

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links