AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

philipheys Avatar
philipheys Phil Heys
Accrington, Lancashire, UK   GBR
Hi guys,

Just a small problem this time.

What causes a starter motor to click and not start?

Occasionally my car does not start and all I can hear is a click eventually I get her started.

I am kind of ruling out the starter because its quite new, but I cannot totally rule out.

My car is 1973 Mk4 spitfire with an inertia starter motor, this as only just started since I refitted the starter last week, the battery is good 12.56 volts 14.48 when car is running.

Thanks

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
SpiTazz72 Avatar
SpiTazz72 Bryan H
Magnolia, TX, USA   USA
Is it the starter clicking or the start solenoid on the firewall?
Could be a bad battery cable.

philipheys Avatar
philipheys Phil Heys
In reply to # 1511437 by SpiTazz72 Is it the starter clicking or the start solenoid on the firewall?
Could be a bad battery cable.

Erm not sure I presumed it was coming from the starter motor.

Thanks

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
Not necessarily a bad cable but a bad connection. Clean both ends and try again.

'S all for now
Vic

Lizzard d id
san jose, CA, USA   USA
A funny old solenoid will sometimes malfunction with just those symptoms . How old is yours and is it a "push button" type ?

philipheys Avatar
philipheys Phil Heys
In reply to # 1511449 by Lizzard A funny old solenoid will sometimes malfunction with just those symptoms . How old is yours and is it a "push button" type ?

I have not changed it when I refurbished the car so it could be quite old certainly over 2 1/2 years old at least. Its not push button.

I think I will order one even if its not the fault.

Thanks

Doug in Vegas Avatar
Doug in Vegas Douglas D
Las Vegas, NV, USA   USA
In reply to # 1511435 by philipheys I am kind of ruling out the starter because its quite new, but I cannot totally rule out.

Did you replace the cables too?

Lizzard d id
san jose, CA, USA   USA
In reply to # 1511452 by philipheys it could be quite old certainly over 2 1/2 years old at least. Its not push button.
A push button solenoid is something to have , imho .
If you don't have one , getting one is a good upgrade .

https://mossmotors.com/solenoid-starter?assoc=14848

http://www.spitbits.com/store/9-STARTER-SOLENOID-push-button-type-MK1-MK3-SPIT-P5923.aspx

Manana Avatar
Manana Steve Wten
Thornhill, ON, Canada   CAN
What I think happened to me was a worn Flywheel Ring Gear. As the starter fired the pinion gear in, instead of blending into the flywheel gears it was striking the faces and not engaging. The Flywheel Ring Gear Teeth have a beveled surface, I suspect to avoid this. I think in time they wear and don't play well together.

You should be able to check this by slightly nudging the car forward while in gear to re-position the ring gear and trying again. It worked most of the time for me, but I guess mine was worn bad enough that one nudge didn't always do it.
Pretty easy check.

Otherwise those electrical suggestions sound good to me.

I've found that battery voltage is not always an accurate check of State of Charge. Voltage seems to stay up in the normal range until the battery is almost toast. When it does turn over, does it do it with authority, or is it weak?

Edit: Doh, forgot to mention that since I replaced the ring gear never had it happen again.

Steve
http://stevew10.wix.com/spit16

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-04 06:12 PM by Manana.

Lizzard d id
san jose, CA, USA   USA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-09 09:23 AM by Lizzard.

philipheys Avatar
philipheys Phil Heys
Hi guys

Got my Solenoid delivered today and it's different from the one fitted, one spade connector is missing the one from the coil, is there another way of wiring up or do I have to send this back?

Mk4 1973 1300cc

Thanks

Attachments:
20180208_182810.jpg    59.6 KB
20180208_182810.jpg

Brad.Cogan Avatar
Brad.Cogan Bradley Cogan
RAF Cosford, Shropshire, UK   GBR
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Wray"
1989 Toyota MR2 "Coral"
2007 Fiat Grande Punto "Pepper"
I had this - a click with no turn over. It turned out to be a bad battery isolator switch. I bypassed it and it's been fine since.

I think it'll be a bad cable somewhere in the system. Clean all connections and check integrity of each cable while doing so. If it still doesn't work get a multimeter on it to test every part of the system.

Brad Cogan

1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500 'Wray'
1989 Toyota MR2 Mk1b AW11 1600 twin cam
2007 Fiat Grande Punto Active 1.2 'Pepper'

spitfire50 Avatar
spitfire50 Paul Mugford
Rochester, N.H., USA   USA
In reply to # 1512165 by philipheys Hi guys

Got my Solenoid delivered today and it's different from the one fitted, one spade connector is missing the one from the coil, is there another way of wiring up or do I have to send this back?

Mk4 1973 1300cc

Thanks
Phil,
If your car is still using that terminal to supply 12 V to the coil for starting and there is a ballast resistance wire supplying the coil when the engine is running you need that terminal. If your car's coil runs on 12 V all of the time that solenoid can be used.
All the best,
Paul

Manana Avatar
Manana Steve Wten
Thornhill, ON, Canada   CAN
Paul's points are very good.

That written, if you are still running with the Ballast Wire intact, I think you would be fine by adding a ring connector to both the Ballast Wire and standard wire to coil and hooking them up on the Solenoid Terminal normally cold side, that is the side that only gets energized when the ignition is in the start position. In fact, if that is exactly how that solenoid was sent to you, I suspect that the spade connectors on the new one are there for this exact purpose.

If you are unfamiliar with how the solenoid works, I've explained it here.....
http://stevew10.wixsite.com/spit16/ballast-wire-system
and this image (from my link) may help.

Hope that helps.

Steve
http://stevew10.wix.com/spit16

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-09 08:39 AM by Manana.

Attachments:
Solenoid & Ballast System Explained.jpg    55.2 KB
Solenoid & Ballast System Explained.jpg

philipheys Avatar
philipheys Phil Heys
Thanks again guys,

Got a 4 terminal solenoid in the end, well two in fact one spare. Starts up first time every time.

Together with the new timing chain and tuning the carbs it's flying!!!!

Can't wait for the summer!

Thanks

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1966 Triumph Spitfire MkII

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links