Which HS4s are these?

Moss Motors
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

gcelenta George Celentano
Orlando, FL, USA   USA
I'm looking to buy these HS4s from someone but can't get a full model number from the seller (Just FZX).

Can anyone identify them from the pics alone?

Are they worth $300 including the intake manifold, considering they need to be rebuilt?

Thanks,

George

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
hs4_1.jpg    67.5 KB
hs4_1.jpg

hs4_2.jpg    68.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
I will look them up in my SU book (latter) but I think they were the latter type SU used on UK models with ball bearing pistons in the chamber.

Are the throttle shafts worn?

Waxtat jets?

This would alter the price of a rebuild.

Voda2000 Avatar
Voda2000 Andrew McMillan
Winnipeg, MB, Canada   CAN
I paid $350 for mine but that included shipping and brand new filters. Mine are waxstat but the carbs are the version before those. I posted some photos here: http://www.triumphexp.com/phorum/read.php?8,1510988

1978 Triumph Spitfire

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
brucejon Avatar
brucejon Bruce Jones
Santa Cruz, CA, USA   USA
1962 Triumph TR3B
1963 Triumph TR3B "Tupperware TR3"
1969 Triumph Spitfire MkIII
1972 Triumph TR6
I paid about that for a set from quantumechanics, and they were guaranteed to be servicable. Not totally rebuilt, but would run adequately. Mine had a problem with the intake manifold and they replaced it. Not sure what he is doing now, but thought I would pass that on. I did end up ream/rebushing them to get a steady idle.

Lizzard d id
san jose, CA, USA   USA
Do you get the K&N air filters and the heat shield ?
I think I see an ID tag on the front float bowl cover .

nirvana tom safford
washington state, USA   USA
They look Japanese maybe Datsun 1600 roadster circa 1960's maybe 240Z but they look a little diff.

Lizzard d id
san jose, CA, USA   USA
After looking at many many SU carbs , I'm guessing that they are a combination of su carbs , spitfire carbs with suction dampers / chambers / pistons / dash pots etc off of another car . Mini , Jag , rover , etc . I don't see any FZX SU carbs with those damper tops and side mounted float chambers .

grumpicus Steve Jackson
Leicester, Leicestershire, UK   GBR
FZX1327 HS4s, as fitted to the last of the UK/Euro Spit 1500. Fitted with ball bearing slides and Waxstat jets. Now, what's the question?

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
I agree, not Asian. 300 would be the high end, 250 would be better. Could cost up to 700 to rebuild.

In reply to # 1511106 by grumpicus FZX1327 HS4s, as fitted to the last of the UK/Euro Spit 1500. Fitted with ball bearing slides and Waxstat jets. Now, what's the question?

'S all for now
Vic

skyking1231 Avatar
skyking1231 Silver Member Frank Strobel
Mt. Sinai, NY, USA   USA
1975 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Lil' Rose"
i paid about $150 for my crusty pair of HS4's...with manifold, And the stock airbox. They were complete...and probably could have been used as is with a littel fiddling....but i sent them out to get rebuilt.

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 1511080 by nirvana They look Japanese maybe Datsun 1600 roadster circa 1960's maybe 240Z but they look a little diff.

No, the Hitachi SU 's have sightly more square sholders to the suction chambers.

I'll look them up.

Later:

I think you have early type HIF ball bearing suction chambers on a pair of HS carb bodies.

Note that the suction chamber, pistons, springs and dampers are peculiar to those carbs but seemingly can be used on non 'ball bearing' HIF carb bodies AND in your case, it appears, HS bodies.

How that leaves you with the value of the carbs.....I have no idea.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-02-02 08:50 PM by Tonyfixit.

TinDrum Herald Ma
cologne, NRW, Germany   DEU
In reply to # 1511106 by grumpicus FZX1327 HS4s, as fitted to the last of the UK/Euro Spit 1500. Fitted with ball bearing slides and Waxstat jets. Now, what's the question?

+1

No parts mix, all standard.
Ball bearing pistons, high damper screw, aditional overflow lines on the float bowls.

Herald

grumpicus Steve Jackson
Leicester, Leicestershire, UK   GBR
In reply to # 1511144 by Tonyfixit
I'll look them up.

Later:

I think you have early type HIF ball bearing suction chambers on a pair of HS carb bodies.

Note that the suction chamber, pistons, springs and dampers are peculiar to those carbs but seemingly can be used on non 'ball bearing' HIF carb bodies AND in your case, it appears, HS bodies.

How that leaves you with the value of the carbs.....I have no idea.

It's true that the ball bearing suction chambers are interchangeable with the HIF4 1.5" carbs, but ball bearing slides were also fitted to HS4s on UK/Euro Spits from around 1977 onwards. I initially fitted a pair of the FZX1122 types to my Mk4 - these used ball bearing slides, but flat plastic damper tops, rather than the domed tops on the FZX1327 pair. The FZX1122 carbs used a spring clip which was a push fit into the bore of the steel damper tube, to retain the piston, needle and return spring when the damper assembly is removed from the carb body. (Prevents it from hitting the floor and bending the needle!) This was probably not as effective as the FZX1327 setup, which has a longer centre damper tube and domed cover, with a circlip groove on the outside of the tube (very near the top), and a wire circlip to retain it, rather than the spring clip of the FZX1122. Those two complete dashpot assemblies are interchangeable between the two variants.

I picked up a pair of NOS FZX1327 carbs at an autojumble (parts fair) around 20 years ago - there was a problem with one of the float chambers, I recall, but as I only paid £25 for the pair, I wasn't about to complain! smiling bouncing smiley I used those carbs for several years, but then came across a pair of HIF4 carbs in reasonable condition. (I liked the fact that the fuel temperature was sensed inside the float chamber, rather than the pathetic Waxstat setup on the HS4s.) I rebuilt the HIF4s, and fitted them in place of the FZX1327 carbs, swapping over the complete dashpot/spring/ needle assemblies from the HS4s at the same time, thereby proving the interchangeability!

Tonyfixit Avatar
Tonyfixit Tony M
Duncan, BC, Canada   CAN
OK to confirm what Steve says here is the listing in the manual

Attachments:
IMG_20180203_164104.jpg    42.6 KB
IMG_20180203_164104.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Cars

1959 Triumph TR3A

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links